Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,696 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Nigeria: Land Of Hope And Despair By Butch Hannan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Land Of Hope And Despair By Butch Hannan (610 Views)

Zahra Buhari And Toyin Saraki At Rhythm Of Hope Festival Of Art & Culture / Okorocha Is Back: "I Went To The Land Of The Dead, Ancestors Turned Me Back" / So You Want To Be Minister? Read This And Despair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Land Of Hope And Despair By Butch Hannan by ojdollars(m): 1:55am On Jul 13, 2015
Nigeria is a country which has major challenges ahead. It now has a population of 183 million people. The population is increasing at about 4 to 5 million on a yearly basis. The median age is 17.8 years. This means that 50% of the population are below the age of 17.8 years old. In basic figures, this number is just over 91 million young people. I am afraid that, for obvious reasons, this is a statistic that scares the living daylights out of me.

Muhammadu Buhari a Muslim from the north has recently come to power through the ballot box. We need to remember that he previously seized power through a military coup. There are already ominous rumblings from the southern part of Nigeria over his cabinet appointments. His cabinet consists mainly of appointments from the north. Do we have another Biafra situation developing? This conflict resulted in the loss of 2 million lives due to famine from the blockade and fighting. I sincerely hope not. Nigeria has over 250 ethnic groups which no doubt causes its own number of problems. Is there a conflict in the offing between the Muslims and Christians?

The handling of the abduction of the Chibok girls certainly did not cover the previous government in glory. Their non-action smacked of cowardice and fear of the kidnappers Boko Haram. I was quite frankly disgusted by the effort to recover these girls from their kidnappers. The world will no doubt judge Buhari on the handling of Boko Haram. Has he got the courage to take steps against his fellow Muslims?

Buhari is now in charge of the biggest economy on the African continent. Nigeria is one of the biggest oil producers in the world and yet has constant fuel shortages at home. I have heard that most households have a generator for the somewhat erratic power supply. There is a large unemployment problem with many of the people living below the poverty line. The challenge for Buhari is to harness the wealth generated by oil for the upliftment of the Nigerian people. He really needs to ask where this wealth is going to. It needs to be taken out of the pockets of the greedy few and used for the benefit of the whole of Nigeria.

Nigeria has a massive problem with corruption and bribery. In a survey that was done recently about 45% of the respondents admitted to paying bribes. Transparency International has labelled Nigeria as the most corrupt country on the African Continent as far as bribery and corruption are concerned. Has this practice become embedded as a way of life in this country? Buhari needs to handle this scourge head on. Over time billions has been stolen from the people of Nigeria. Does he have the courage to jail his friends who are involved in this endemic problem?

In conclusion, I believe that Buhari is now in charge of a very volatile situation which could blow up in his face. Is he the leader Nigeria has been looking for? Time will tell!!

Source: The FCT Post - http://www.fctpost.com/2015/07/13/nigeria-land-of-hope-and-despair-by-butch-hannan/

CC: Lalasticlala - Front Page Please

Re: Nigeria: Land Of Hope And Despair By Butch Hannan by Sardongarigan(m): 2:00am On Jul 13, 2015
Ok,i will read when i wake up
Re: Nigeria: Land Of Hope And Despair By Butch Hannan by Cjrane2: 2:46am On Jul 13, 2015
Buhari doesn't have the maturity, cool temperament or wisdom to handle Nigeria's fractious tribal issues. He'll probably feed into the tribal wars by pursuing a northern agenda in an explosive country like Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: Land Of Hope And Despair By Butch Hannan by kazmanbanjoko(m): 5:07am On Jul 13, 2015
Nigeria, a country dat has to be taken with serious care.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Land Of Hope And Despair By Butch Hannan by feedburner(m): 6:03am On Jul 13, 2015
Nigeria is an abominable zoo.
we need Biafra.

(1) (Reply)

See What Police Men Allegedly Did To This Man Because Of Tattoos / US To Track Down Nigeria’s Stolen Funds. / Senate Postpones Resumption Of Plenary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.