Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? (69132 Views)

Here Is When NYSC 2017 Batch A Stream II Is Going To Camp / Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by militarypie: 1:01pm On Jul 13, 2015
I don't want to say one thing now and my oga at the top will say another. The consequences will be let known by my oga at the top. You can visit www.nysc. since na only you waka come. Dasol.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by blackboy(m): 1:06pm On Jul 13, 2015
1. You can't work for the government, and if you do and they find out you did not serve you could be dismissed and jailed.

2. Risk your job searches.

3. Limits where you can be employed

4. you can be stigmatized , ridiculed and scorned for not doing the NYSC

But if you are not ready do your masters and come back and do your service.

It's a necessary formality that should not be but Nigerian youths will not accept not doing NySC it makes them feel fulfilled and complete.

Scrap it , you will see mass protest. Make it optional or not compulsory it will die a natural death.

But the government needs NYSC. Elections, money from NySC - serious money is made.

NYSC is not as hard as it looks there are so many ways around it. You decide- rough it through or ...

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
If he doesn't have plans of returning to Nigeria to work in the public sector later in the future, then he has no problems. But if he plans to return after some years, he should better get his NYSC certificate otherwise, he won't be eligible for any government/recognized agency job/portfolio. He won't be accepted into the labour market and will have to provide a certificate of exemption from NYSC if at all he is to be considered. If however your friend plans on setting up his own business, then he can take the risk.

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Lakeland4321: 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
kmaxx:

Copied!
So, graduating above 30 n getting an exemption letter equals me with the fella who has served? Meaning I can still contest for elective offices?
Yes! Infact its good because u save a year but on the downside, employers may consider u too old for entry job positions
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Lakeland4321: 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2015
fabulous01:

depending on your age at graduation... and if you Don't Wish Just get your exemption Certificate of letter of exemption.... the duo qualifies you to hold any Choice position in Power... make sure your Primary school certificate is in tact.... Don't let them say we Don't have your Credentials! best of Luck....
dont mislead him, u cannot get exemption cert.if u are below 30 at graduation, nysc is compulsory for u. Its only for those above 30yrs
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
It is as useless as a used condom.. Please travel abroad.. Millions of Nigeria with nysc certificates all jobless ..

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by omonnakoda: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2015
Dieziani Alison did not serve eventually she got an "exemption" certificate. That is Nigeria for you. In theory You should not be eligible for political posts or government jobs
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by 1kinggy(m): 1:36pm On Jul 13, 2015
Cutehector:
Depends on hw old he is nw.. He can go for greener pastures abroad.. And come bak and do his nysc anytime he wishes provided that the age at which he graduated from university is not more that 30years..

If he's over 30 sef, he needs certificate of exemption. i hope i got the name right. one of my guys had to come from the UK to collect his own. so OP, if you can, do your best.

Even if na to arrange am come your present location.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by redcliff: 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
KingsJohnson:

if thatz d case, then no cause 4 alarm cus dis guy got talent lyk devil, so in few years 2 cum, government n job wil be d one looking 4 him n not d oda way round.

instead of you to say you are the one.. everytime on nl its someones friend. nothing ever happen to nairaland members...nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by redcliff: 1:41pm On Jul 13, 2015
KingsJohnson:

if thatz d case, then no cause 4 alarm cus dis guy got talent lyk devil, so in few years 2 cum, government n job wil be d one looking 4 him n not d oda way round.

my advice for you is to do your nysc and dont travel out because what you would face abroad, before you get back, you might have exceeded 30years old and if you are just going abraod to look for greener pastures without any plan, you would end up regretting your whole moves because the wares of life would hit you so much that just survival becomes more important than pursuing your so called dreams. Be warned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by 2good(m): 1:48pm On Jul 13, 2015
I have a friend who left Nigeria to the US for studies during his NYSC year, got recruited by ExxonMobil after graduation and sent to work in Nigeria. ExxonMobil did a verification of his service from NYSC and the result came back as absconded and he lost the job. Do not play with the NYSC certificate no matter how smart you think you are because it equivalent to a work permit in Nigeria for a university or polytechnic graduate.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Cletus244(m): 1:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
If someone can rule this country without SSEC then no penalty

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 13, 2015
taiwolusol:
I hate that scheme called NYSC

Like why the Heck do I have to serve Nigeria angry

Lol...it's your country and fatherland!
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 13, 2015
DamiEsan:

Lol...it's your country and fatherland!

Nigeria is not serving me!

Honestly, I owe her no shii angry

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by zuma4k(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2015
hassymo5:
Since the NYSC decree also says: “There cannot be employment anywhere in the federation for any university graduate except on the production of the discharge certificate or exemption certificate issued by the Directorate of the National Youth Service Corps, the management of the corps should as a matter of constitutionality review the obnoxious policy it used to deny thousands of graduates the opportunity of serving their fatherland during the Batch A mobilization exercise conducted nationwide in the coming Batch B and subsequent mobilization exercises in the country.
NYSC Decree

SECTION 12
1. For the purposes of employment anywhere in the Federation and before employment, it shall be the duty of every prospective employer to demand and obtained from any person who claims to have obtained his first degree at the end of the academic year 1973-74 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent academic year the following-
a. a copy of the Certificate of National Service of such person issued pursuant to section 11 of this Decree
b. a copy of any exemption certificate issued to such person pursuant to section 17 of this Decree
c. such other particulars relevant there to as may be prescribed by or under this Decree
2. It shall also be the duty of every employer to produce on demand to police officer, not below the rank of an Assistant Superintendent of Police, any such certificate and particulars or copies thereof

u can choose which you think is best for u!!!!!!
How about NOUN graduates who are issues exemption letters,will they in anyway be affected?
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2015
zuma4k:
How about NOUN graduates who are issues exemption letters,will they in anyway be affected?

An NYSC Exemption and the Discharge Certificate are the same, by all means and standard.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by zuma4k(m): 2:24pm On Jul 13, 2015
taiwolusol:

An NYSC Exemption and the Discharge Certificate are the same, by all means and standard.
even for people under the age of 30?
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by DahtDopeBoi(m): 2:56pm On Jul 13, 2015
What about NOUN graduates (National Open University) do they stand any chance of joining up for NYSC... Honest replies needed pls!
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Obiwannn: 3:16pm On Jul 13, 2015
KingsJohnson:
Fellow Nairalanders, pls i do have a friend who will be graduating come this October, but he is indecisive whether to go for NYSC or leave the shores of Nigeria for greener pasture.

Then my question is whether there is any implication for not going to Youth Service?

he can always runs the NYSC. I have friends that we graduated together
they left NYSC and are outside this country furthering already but they have their certificates.
BROS na naija you de. make your friend use him HEAD.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by olatricia(m): 3:16pm On Jul 13, 2015
This NYSC thing. I never did my NYSC, but I must confess it's one of the greatest misses of my life so far. I graduated at 25, but we did a more or less part time program (although we went to school Mon- Fri 8am - 5pm and you dare not miss a lecture). At graduation, many of us had options to either buy the certificate for as cheap as 40k (pay 10k during mobilization and 30k after one year) for an authentic discharge certificate or you pay about 150k to be mobilize ( you go camp and get allawee etc) or you just walk up to the school's student affairs office and collect your legit exemption letter. Many of my mates served eventually and nothing has happened so far. I saw several NYSC certs and I can tell they are very very original. As for me, since the govt never subsidized my tuition, never paid my hostel bill throughout school in anyway, I don't see a reason why I should pay the Nigeria to serve Nigeria. I have not even collected my exemption cert up till today, I collected only my degree certificate and walked away. But the irony of all is this. In all my job search, though they list it in their job requirements. No one has ever asked to sight my waec certificate, degree certificate nor my NYSC certificate. After tests, interviews and all, I submit copies of my credentials for documentation and anytime am asked for my NYSC i simply said "I never served, I was exempted." If am asked why, I just say write my school (University of Jos). As for I'd loved to serve, but I was not given the opportunity to. If there is anything that can stand in your way of getting a good job be sure its not NYSC (as long as you are have the legit equivalent).

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Blexin68: 3:17pm On Jul 13, 2015
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
mrdrizzy:
Hmmm

depending on if he hopes to work in nigeria

virtually all jobs in nigeria requires NYSC
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by donwise1(m): 3:22pm On Jul 13, 2015
emmatok:

If you really value your future there is no need wasting one year jumping updownup in the name of NYSC.

Just get exemption Certificate and start your life after school.
Dat is if u want to be self employed or settle for megre jobs.
It's better to close ur eyes and do the one year stuff. Even as a self employed graduate, u won't get any government contract assuming u are into engineering. And u knw government contracts is where the money is
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by JoeCutie(m): 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
You know... Nigeria is a country that overdo things. NYSC is important, but I do think it's not that necessary. I could argue that NYSC is overrated. Even if other countries relax or scrap theirs (Do they even observe it?), Nigeria won't. Dem go die on top that NYSC mata. They now see NYSC certificate like certificate to heaven. Abegi! undecided

Bia oga, better tell your guy (abi na you sef) not to try any rubbish with his life oh (unless of course, he's very sure to settle and make his money there, and without any hopes or wishes of getting into any political position in this country, because...lipsrsealed), unless he wants to encounter the same ordeal that GMB encountered as a result of certificate. grin
I'd advice him to just wait till after the NYSC, since he could wait to 4, 5, 6, 7...10 years to graduate from school.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Bants(m): 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2015
blackboy:
1. You can't work for the government, and if you do and they find out you did not serve you could be dismissed and jailed.

2. Risk your job searches.

3. Limits where you can be employed

4. you can be stigmatized , ridiculed and scorned for not doing the NYSC

But if you are not ready do your masters and come back and do your service.

It's a necessary formality that should not be but Nigerian youths will not accept not doing NySC it makes them feel fulfilled and complete.

Scrap it , you will see mass protest. Make it optional or not compulsory it will die a natural death.

But the government needs NYSC. Elections, money from NySC - serious money is made.

NYSC is not as hard as it looks there are so many ways around it. You decide- rough it through or ...

But you dont need NYSC to be self employed which most nigerians are now

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
admax:
Nothing......unless you plan to be a politician? Ask Fmr Speaker Dimeji Bankole.
. Nawa o who tell u say nothing, there is nothing good u can get in naija without nysc certificate......... Even thou if Ūя̲̅ older u will have nysc exemption.... Bt for u 2 say u don't have unless if na Ūя̲̅ papa company u wan work............. And who tell u say bankole no do nysc? Even if him no do hin get d the discharge certificate with his name and nysc number... And ficate dey him hand and nysc has hnis record legally he has done nysc............ If 2 say bankole no get and he has a degree. Then he won't be. A rep memnber talkess of speaker house of reps................... Unless u won't present Ūя̲̅ degree, hnd certificate for anything in naija d 2 must go 2geda
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 3:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
Adeboyefa:

You'll get an exemption certificate which works as well as a discharge certificate for those who graduated before 30.

What if he graduated before 30? Can he get an exemption cert after turning 30?
Yep, service isnt by force.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by oleigh(m): 4:26pm On Jul 13, 2015
Baldmarv:
IF one doesn't serve his nation, he wont be eligible for government Jobs or even any meaningful company in Nigeria...skip NYSC if you dont ever plan to look for work in Nigeria!
big lie
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by emmatok(m): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2015
donwise1:

Dat is if u want to be self employed or settle for megre jobs.
It's better to close ur eyes and do the one year stuff. Even as a self employed graduate, u won't get any government contract assuming u are into engineering. And u knw government contracts is where the money is

Big lie,
The exemption certificate given to exempted students is not different from discharge certificate.
Student exempted by NYSC will enjoy their full benefit as other participants.
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Cutehector(m): 5:19pm On Jul 13, 2015
kmaxx:

Suppose I graduate @ age 30? So, No NYSC xperience, photos 2 share n cert. 4 me?
yeah right... Nothing for u tongue
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by Brytawon(m): 5:27pm On Jul 13, 2015
"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. After 48 hours in which Casillas’s departure was on then off, then on then off again, came 24 hours in which he publicly “left” Real Madrid C.F. twice."
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by donwise1(m): 5:29pm On Jul 13, 2015
emmatok:

Big lie,
The exemption certificate is given the exempted students will stand is not different from discharge certificate.
Student exempted by NYSC will enjoy their full benefit as other participants.
I don't mean graduates dat collected exemption letter and didn't serve.
I mean those that willingly didn't collect exemption letter and didn't serve.
Not exemption letter is mainly given to graduates that has passed the 30 year old limit
Re: Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? by emmatok(m): 5:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
donwise1:

I don't mean graduates dat collected exemption letter and didn't serve.
I mean those that willingly didn't collect exemption letter and didn't serve.
Not exemption letter is mainly given to graduates that has passed the 30 year old limit

OK,

Any student without exemption letter that decides not to serve is wasting his/her time.
You can can get your exemption even if you are not up to 30, e.g if you have health issues.
Thats way i am always angry seeing pregnant women coming to camp, some are even nursing mothers, they should be exempted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests / Nigerian Army Reacts To Officer Pouring Dirty Water On Corper In Calabar / NYSC Date Of Birth And Exemption Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.