Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,530 members, 7,837,025 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

4 Opportunities Students Can Maximize To Prevent Struggling After Graduation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Opportunities Students Can Maximize To Prevent Struggling After Graduation (575 Views)

Slay Queen Pops 100 Bottles Of Andre Wine On Her Body After Graduation / Pictures Only Medical Students Can Relate To / Best 8 Pictures Of Buhari That Students Can Relate To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Opportunities Students Can Maximize To Prevent Struggling After Graduation by mubarak89(m): 10:33am On Jul 13, 2015

Do you sometimes wonder why a few amongst many of those who have graduated ahead of us seem to find it easy securing good jobs or starting businesses while many more struggle?

After asking a handful of graduates some questions, I have come to see that those who took advantage of certain opportunities while in school entered into the labour market easier than those who didn’t. This write-up is a list of the opportunities they used and how they did it.

Whether your dream is to find a good job or start a good business after you graduate, maximizing these 4 opportunities can go a long way to help you:

1. The opportunity of receiving pocket money
Granted, not all of us get monthly or regular pocket money from home. However, for those of us who do, it is an opportunity we ought to maximize as time will soon come when we will receive such no more.

In maximizing this opportunity, a former student saved 20 percent of his monthly pocket money in a separate account; He graduate after 4 years with a little close to 400,000 naira.

I will usually spend everything I receive but have now decided to save 20 percent to never touch it come rain come shine.

2. The opportunity of internship
While the school system allows for some students to go for 6 months or 1 year Industrial attachment, a majority of students do not maximize the opportunity. Use the opportunity to seek for firms or organizations who can give you a job after you graduate.

A friend did his internship in an organization and made sure he impressed his boss and made connections. After a year, his boss ‘worked’ is National Youth Service to his firm and he has been gainfully employed since then; never testing joblessness.

You can also offer to work for an organization for free as a student. That can eventually stand you out from the rest when it comes to job interviews; I was told employers generally 'love good Samaritans'.

3. The opportunity of building a strong network
Higher institutions present us with different kinds of people from different parts of the country. While others are making friends by chance, you should maximize the opportunity by deliberately making making friends with those who can be of help now and in the future.

A few graduates got very good jobs via their friend’s dad, mom or uncle. If for example you have a politician’s daughter or son in your class or hostel block, I advise you get close; it’s your future we are talking about here.

4. The opportunity of student contests
Do you know that there are plenty of contest and competitions for students of tertiary institutions? One of my mentors had participated in several of them and eventually won one which did provide him with a huge amount of cash to kick of his business venture.

Find out about student competitions and contests, participate in them and even if you do not win, the experience thereof will sure be helpful.

Finally, preparing adequately while still a student can help you achieve your dream and prevent you from struggling in the labour market.

Do you agree with my opinion? What other opportunities are there for students to maximize?

Source: http://graduatewell.com/article/4-opportunities-students-can-maximize-to-prevent-struggling-after-graduation

Re: 4 Opportunities Students Can Maximize To Prevent Struggling After Graduation by Israel5(m): 10:36am On Jul 13, 2015
Said
Re: 4 Opportunities Students Can Maximize To Prevent Struggling After Graduation by ChiSun27(m): 10:39am On Jul 13, 2015
There are other more viable opportunities...but d ones above are not really bad.

But the explantions are not really necessary or rather they are too long for just the points listed.
Re: 4 Opportunities Students Can Maximize To Prevent Struggling After Graduation by Folksyharry(m): 10:46am On Jul 13, 2015
great points. one may not know how important these points are until you graduate and face reality.
Re: 4 Opportunities Students Can Maximize To Prevent Struggling After Graduation by bamidelemoses: 12:22pm On Jul 13, 2015
ChiSun27:
There are other more viable opportunities...but d ones above are not really bad.

But the explantions are not really necessary or rather they are too long for just the points listed.

TRUE TALK

(1) (Reply)

G.C.E Exam Help / NNPC/CHEVRON Schorlarship Re-imbursement Payment / Buhari's Govt About To Cripple The University System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.