Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! (2594 Views)

#Precision Autos#....tell Us That Car U Need, We'll Get It For U / Whats The Best Car U Can Supply For 1.5? / Any Car U Want From Europe For 100k Lesss Than Market Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by promise72(m): 5:00am On Mar 09, 2009
Just spoke with a guy i met here on NL. He resides in Chicago. He told me that he sent money home last Friday (Mar 6th, 2009) and was exchanged for N172!

Couldn't believe it. He even said that its predicted that $$$ might go as high as N200. shocked So it only mean one thing. Grab your bargains now!

If you look at the rate since December, its been going up. [b]So don't hesitate.[/b]

I don't sell any car in Nigeria as of now, so the issue of self interest should not come up. Even if you are looking at Nigerian used, those people will be charging a little more as time goes on cos they will need to replace the ride probably with fresh TOKS.

Good luck everyone wink
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by jenju(m): 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2009
promise72:

Just spoke with a guy i met here on NL. He resides in Chicago. He told me that he sent money home last Friday (Mar 6th, 2009) and was exchanged for N172!

Couldn't believe it. He even said that its predicted that $$$ might go as high as N200. shocked So it only mean one thing. Grab your bargains now!

If you look at the rate since December, its been going up. [b]So don't hesitate.[/b]

I don't sell any car in Nigeria as of now, so the issue of self interest should not come up. Even if you are looking at Nigerian used, those people will be charging a little more as time goes on cos they will need to replace the ride probably with fresh TOKS.

Good luck everyone wink

From my observation, the law of supply and demand in Nigeria, particularly in the auto industry, does not apply as it typically does in most other economic systems.  Economic activities of Nigerians defy logic all too often. For the sake of simplicity, let me give a recent example: I sold a particular brand of car for N7.0million because it was a redesigned model.  3 months later, the same car was sold for N6.5million. Would you believe that just 6 months after the car was sold for N7.0million, buyers were only ready to pay N5million for the same car, simply because they no longer had the bragging rights to claim that they were the first to own the redesigned model!! My point is that, the business or economic paradigm in which Nigeria operates is quite primitive and rational analysis will lead to completely invalid conclusions.

Back to the point, the naira has lost 45% of its value, since only the black market is the source of foreign exchange for most used car dealers. While used car prices have dropped in the US,  I don't believe that the reduction in prices is more than the typical annual depreciation. I am yet to see a significant drop in prices at car auctions in the USA. Rational analysis will tell us that, the prices of used cars should go up very soon in Nigeria.

I, however, do not believe that used car prices in Nigeria (at least in lagos) will increase significantly in 2009. There is an oversupply of used cars in Lagos, since just about every household has a car to sell.  It will probably take all year for the inventory to dry up enough to affect prices. I expect prices to increase next year, however.  My reason for this is that, there has been a drastic reduction in bookings for cars to be exported to Nigeria from the USA, in the past 30 - 60 days or so. Additionally container ships are not even allowed in Apapa ports until April 15. Some shipping companies have dropped their prices on the East Coast for RORO vehicles, in the hopes that the action will result to more business. By year end, the low supply and the naira value will probably result to an increase in prices, but not by very much.

Sorry for the dogo turenchi. Jenju in crystal ball mode  smiley

Cheers,
J
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by Gifo(m): 7:29pm On Mar 09, 2009
@Jenju apt. You are in the know, very thorough and pleasingly diplomatic. What more? Keep it up.
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Mar 09, 2009
I think this will affect IT industry more than Auto
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by Ukpekeson(m): 8:10pm On Mar 09, 2009
I just wish that CBN should make some policy decisions to salvage the situation before the naira go down to 200 to only one US dollar
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2009
Ukpekeson:

I just wish that CBN should make some policy decisions to salvage the situation before the naira go down to 200 to only one US dollar

I think the only way out is to find a better way whree business people would be able to buy dollars directly from the bank and not the black market.
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by jenju(m): 9:45pm On May 25, 2009
Ukpekeson:

It appears as if Soludo's promise of 2 months ago, to flood the market with dollars, is about to be actualized.  THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will soon flood the Nigerian economy with dollars as it has liberalised the foreign exchange market. Governor of the CBN, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, announced the new measure, at the weekend, in Abuja, after a meeting of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).

If the announced plans are carried out, the naira may appreciate as fast as it depreciated. I find it noteworthy however, that no sooner than rumours of Soludo's removal started to emanate from certain quarters, than Soludo himself announced these sweeping new policy.  Some media outlets were reporting that Sanusi may have been picked to replace Soludo. We wait and see as they continue to play ludo with the Nigerian economy.

Cheers,
J

Sources:
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/25/622.html
http://www.tribune.com.ng/25052009/news/news3.html
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by Nezan(m): 10:54am On May 26, 2009
Anyhow wey dem do am, na we de masses go suffer am pass. We go overcome dis tin one day sha. God dey!!!
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by adexcarz(m): 1:36pm On May 28, 2009
jenju:

It appears as if Soludo's promise of 2 months ago, to flood the market with dollars, is about to be actualized. THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will soon flood the Nigerian economy with dollars as it has liberalised the foreign exchange market. Governor of the CBN, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, announced the new measure, at the weekend, in Abuja, after a meeting of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).

If the announced plans are carried out, the naira may appreciate as fast as it depreciated. I find it noteworthy however, that no sooner than rumours of Soludo's removal started to emanate from certain quarters, than Soludo himself announced these sweeping new policy. Some media outlets were reporting that Sanusi may have been picked to replace Soludo. We wait and see as they continue to play ludo with the Nigerian economy.

Cheers,
J

Sources:
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/25/622.html
http://www.tribune.com.ng/25052009/news/news3.html

Glory be to God, Dollar is crashing every minute here in Abuja today.
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by sagiru2: 10:00pm On May 28, 2009
the dollar exchanged for N163 today in Kano, down from N176 on Tuesday and N180 a week a go smiley
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by wezo01(m): 10:06pm On May 28, 2009
Thank God!!! dollar is crashing every minute.bought at 161 to a dollar this afternoon.heard it's going to 120- 130 to a dollar. cool cool cool cool
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by sylife(m): 10:42pm On May 28, 2009
SAY big sorry to me, i, but dollas at 171 in the morning at Onitsha , later by afternom it was sold at 162 at same onitsha, i loss so much money TODAY angry sad shocked embarassed cry
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:49pm On May 28, 2009
It's because the price of oil is going up like I told you guys before,
If only I had a credible person in Naija we go do real currency trading.

The price of oil is predicted to rise so watch out the naira will gain value even more.
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by manutd1: 1:01am On May 29, 2009
Pls more updates
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by manutd1: 5:41pm On May 29, 2009
Pls what is the current exchange rate?
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by jenju(m): 11:25am On Jul 02, 2009
The parallel market rates are converging with the official exchange rate vis-a-vis the dollar. I bought a few dollars in Abuja for =N= 152 this morning. One can sell for =N= 150 - 151.

Cheers,
J
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by manutd1: 1:05pm On Jul 02, 2009
jenju:

The parallel market rates are converging with the official exchange rate vis-a-vis the dollar. I bought a few dollars in Abuja for =N= 152 this morning. One can sell for =N= 150 - 151.

Cheers,
J

Thanks for the update.
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by wezo01(m): 2:26pm On Jul 02, 2009
@jenju,
where exactly in Abuja did u buy dollar at 152 my brother?? Please help with the info. Thanks! wink wink
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by jenju(m): 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2009
wezo01:

@jenju,
where exactly in Abuja did u buy dollar at 152 my brother?? Please help with the info. Thanks! wink wink

I bought from the Mallams in Zone 4. Be firm and demand the best rate, they may try to sell to you @ N153- N154 if they think you are uninformed. They just bought dollar for N150 from someone only a few minutes ago. Just three days ago, they were buying at N160!!

Cheers,
J
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by manutd1: 4:53pm On Jul 03, 2009
Pls what is the rate today?
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by sylife(m): 11:48am On Jul 04, 2009
i, but dollas yesterday at Onitsha main market , black market at 155 so is coming down everywhere,
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by manutd1: 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2009
Pls what's the current rate in Lagos?
Re: Dollar Ri$ing! Dont Hesitate To Buy Any Car U Have In Mind! by feasy1(m): 11:57am On Jul 05, 2009

(1) (Reply)

SOLD SOLD 05 9ja Used Toyota Sieena xle limmited 4 Sale / PRICE REDUCED FRESH FROM PORT PICS UPLOADED. 2005 Audi A4: Black Beauty: / Bmw Vision (anybody's Dream Car)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.