Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage (1612 Views)

Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem / Fayose Dresses As Bishop In Jerusalem For The Christian Pilgrimage (Photos) / Sani Abacha's Grandchildren In Mecca For The Holy Pilgrimage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by LocalChamp: 11:05pm On Jul 13, 2015
Buhari to end FG sponsorship of pilgrimage

Published on July 13, 2015 by

President Muhammadu Buhari is set to pull the plug on federal government sponsorship of pilgrims to Israel and Saudi Arabia, noting that, pilgrims will have to sponsor themselves on the holy trip.
Buhari’s decision to end the sponsorship was made known to journalists in Abuja by Mr John-Kennedy Opara, the Executive Secretary, Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission (NCPC).
Opara who made this known in Abuja on Monday while briefing State House correspondents shortly after briefing President Muhammadu Buhari on the activities of the commission said the president will however continue to encourage the Commission as it moves towards self-sustenance.
The executive secretary further explained that the President agreed to encourage the two religious bodies to become self-sustaining by making pilgrims to pay their pilgrimage bills and thus remove government’s sponsorship.
“I came as invited by the President to brief him on the activities of the Nigerian Christian Pilgrim Commission.
“You will agree with me earlier my colleague the chairman of the Hajj commission had come to brief him.
“So, I had to tell him where we are, how we started the commission and where we are today and our prayers.
“And I want to say that the President was very happy with the commission; he said ‘you have done very well, the commission has done very well and as far as we are concerned, we need to support the Nigeria Christian Pilgrims Commission as well as the Hajj commission
“You are already aware, he has approved one dollar to N160 for the concessional exchange rate for this year’s pilgrimage operation.
“He has also agreed that he will continue to encourage us, especially as we drive to ensure self-sustenance, to make sure that the pilgrims are able to pay for their pilgrimage, removing government’s sponsorship.
“This is a journey and we are that we are going to succeed.
“So, he was very happy with the entire process, starting from nowhere to get to where we are today and he said, `this is commendable`, praying that God will help us to be a source of strength to Mr President.
“So that the Federal and State Governments will spend the necessary resources on other things while the pilgrimage itself will be self-funding as we progress and as time goes on.”
He said the commission would continue to encourage self-sponsorship of pilgrimage in view of the dwindling resources across the three tiers of government.
Opara called on wealthy and well-meaning individuals and organisations to assist in the sponsorship of pilgrims.
He also urged individuals to participate in the commission’s pilgrimage lottery to enable them to perform the pilgrimage.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/07/13/buhari-to-end-fg-sponsorship-of-pilgrimage/

1 Like

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by pacifique(m): 11:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
A
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by feldido(m): 11:08pm On Jul 13, 2015
He better do... Pilgrimage is pure waste of money

3 Likes

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by missKiffy(f): 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2015
It's about time
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 13, 2015
all talk no action

El-Rufai did it without speculation

when Buhari actually does it let us know!
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by beeblah(m): 11:11pm On Jul 13, 2015
I'll comment later
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by haywire1: 11:11pm On Jul 13, 2015
#

Good move coz pilgrimage is for those with enough money to sponsor themselves not by force fa. Good way to reduce govt spending grin grin grin

#

1 Like

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by Davidson267(m): 11:13pm On Jul 13, 2015
Gen gen
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by TheFreeOne: 11:19pm On Jul 13, 2015
That'll be a welcome development. Eradicating such wastage is long overdue.
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:05am On Jul 14, 2015
Ghen ghen
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by mrvitalis(m): 12:09am On Jul 14, 2015
Long overdue
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by StOla: 12:38am On Jul 14, 2015
Only a firm and responsible president can do this.

Sai Buhari!

1 Like

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by StOla: 12:39am On Jul 14, 2015
mikeansy:
all talk no action

El-Rufai did it without speculation

when Buhari actually does it let us know!

Is Buhari the same person as John Kennedy Opara?

Wailing wailer, your misery will last 4 years while Nigeria progresses.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by rakish(m): 12:57am On Jul 14, 2015
The amount deposited into this pilgrimage stuff is too much,i support the stoppage of funding it. If you love your religion and God,make sacrifices for him. If u cnt afford he understands. Its not a must go affair,that money can be redirected to national development.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by UncleJudax(m): 3:03am On Jul 14, 2015
Not a bad idea, assuming the president and his media team don't deny this within the next 48hrs.
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by osifred(m): 4:26am On Jul 14, 2015
I want a leader that will do things differently.
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by softmind24: 5:02am On Jul 14, 2015
Vry good decision no by force in going to holy land, as a Muslim GOD says if u are capable u can do it,

Let the govt stop wasting money in that tripe

Many people even go holy land to business or to show up not really for God sake
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by fulanimafia: 5:05am On Jul 14, 2015
Welcome development.
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by kazmanbanjoko(m): 5:15am On Jul 14, 2015
Okay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by RHP(m): 5:27am On Jul 14, 2015
Heavenly/spiritual race is personal. I dont see why govt ve been wasting money in this direction...
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by Nobody: 5:36am On Jul 14, 2015
Space booked. Anyway, it's a welcome development if it can be done
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by isbish(m): 6:06am On Jul 14, 2015
That's ok PMB. Individuals who can afford it should pay for themselves. NOTE - Pilgrimage is not a waste of time and resouces please. If it is of no value to u as an individual, you don't need to termed it as waste of time cos to many, its extremely important so refrain from generalizing. I belive over 70 percent of intending pilgrims pay for themselves. Govt should end the sponsor or cut it to the lowest level cos I know it won't be stopped completely. May God keep guiding you PMB, we ur fans pray for all the time.
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by ofala(m): 6:42am On Jul 14, 2015
May your days be long, President Buhari!

I wonder Wht Federal and various State Governments waste Billions of Naira on charade sponsoring of religious Pilgrims when pur education lacks proper funding at various levels.

Religion is a sensitive topic, anytime; but should be distanced from governance at all levels.

Kudos PMB....

More positive ACTIONS please

1 Like

Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by Horlawoomey(m): 6:57am On Jul 14, 2015
That's a good one

Said Baba
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by obailala(m): 7:05am On Jul 14, 2015
Good move... There are better welfare packages the governement can spend money on other than sponsoring already comfortable people to go gallivanting abroad.

The irony of the pigrimage sponsorship is even that its only rich or well 'connected' people that even get the government sponsorship and never the common man who needs it.

Finally, the government should stop 'planning to' and just stop it already.
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by slimfit1(m): 7:12am On Jul 14, 2015
Its so funny that after how many leaders only Buhari noticed that its a complete waste of money.
Re: Buhari To End FG Sponsorship Of Pilgrimage by oluspencer(m): 7:16am On Jul 14, 2015
LocalChamp:
Buhari to end FG sponsorship of pilgrimage

Published on July 13, 2015 by

President Muhammadu Buhari is set to pull the plug on federal government sponsorship of pilgrims to Israel and Saudi Arabia, noting that, pilgrims will have to sponsor themselves on the holy trip.
Buhari’s decision to end the sponsorship was made known to journalists in Abuja by Mr John-Kennedy Opara, the Executive Secretary, Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission (NCPC).
Opara who made this known in Abuja on Monday while briefing State House correspondents shortly after briefing President Muhammadu Buhari on the activities of the commission said the president will however continue to encourage the Commission as it moves towards self-sustenance.
The executive secretary further explained that the President agreed to encourage the two religious bodies to become self-sustaining by making pilgrims to pay their pilgrimage bills and thus remove government’s sponsorship.
“I came as invited by the President to brief him on the activities of the Nigerian Christian Pilgrim Commission.
“You will agree with me earlier my colleague the chairman of the Hajj commission had come to brief him.
“So, I had to tell him where we are, how we started the commission and where we are today and our prayers.
“And I want to say that the President was very happy with the commission; he said ‘you have done very well, the commission has done very well and as far as we are concerned, we need to support the Nigeria Christian Pilgrims Commission as well as the Hajj commission
“You are already aware, he has approved one dollar to N160 for the concessional exchange rate for this year’s pilgrimage operation.
“He has also agreed that he will continue to encourage us, especially as we drive to ensure self-sustenance, to make sure that the pilgrims are able to pay for their pilgrimage, removing government’s sponsorship.
“This is a journey and we are that we are going to succeed.
“So, he was very happy with the entire process, starting from nowhere to get to where we are today and he said, `this is commendable`, praying that God will help us to be a source of strength to Mr President.
“So that the Federal and State Governments will spend the necessary resources on other things while the pilgrimage itself will be self-funding as we progress and as time goes on.”
He said the commission would continue to encourage self-sponsorship of pilgrimage in view of the dwindling resources across the three tiers of government.
Opara called on wealthy and well-meaning individuals and organisations to assist in the sponsorship of pilgrims.
He also urged individuals to participate in the commission’s pilgrimage lottery to enable them to perform the pilgrimage.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/07/13/buhari-to-end-fg-sponsorship-of-pilgrimage/

Hyprocisy is when our Govt spend so much on pilgrimage and allows our culture & tourism sector to be suffering. If u can't afford jerusalem (Go to oke maria) and if u can't afford Mecca (Go to IWO)

(1) (Reply)

Lai Mohammed On Channelstv Live, Says Boko Haram Is Being Defeated.! / British Born Harold Smith Confessed & Apologise For Manipulating Pre- Independen / Abia Vs The Northshits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.