Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,460 members, 7,836,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? (19625 Views)

The Truth About Buhari Not Voting Peter Onu As OAU Secretary General In 1985 / How Dasuki Arrested Buhari In 1985 & Destroyed His 1st Marriage / Fashola, Amaechi, Ngige, Onu, Lai, Kachikwu Make Ministerial List - TheCable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by DMerciful(m): 1:07pm On Jul 16, 2015
You are just unreasonable!
spenca:

Then don't have it and keep your bigotry in the chest .
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by DMerciful(m): 1:09pm On Jul 16, 2015
Why do you waste your energy on a worshiper of Bok0hari?
pazienza:

Obama could choose Okonjo, but he didn't, because there is a big elephant in the white house called patriotism. You must be dishonest to even yourself, if you are telling me that any country leader will choose a candidate of another country over theirs.

Infact, I can't even believe I am having this argument with you.

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by betty202020(m): 1:11pm On Jul 16, 2015
mrvitalis:

First of all buhari as a president have freedom to choose who ever he feels will benefit Nigeria the most
Am not in his mind and maybe the onu or what ever his name was didn't represent the ideological he had... .. or maybe he didn't want a Nigerian at that point to have such power and begin to power tussle with him
Please Obama did the same in the world Bank president election. .. . This things happen alot
Was it not the same buhari that supported Jonathan agricultural minister for ADB president?
Please go read more about international politices
what was more interest of a president that would override interest of his country to his personal interest, is such a person worthy to be a president that of his country ? Was Goodluck's agriculture minister an Igbo man? it is buhari's hatred on igbos. Now why will someone blaim igbos for seeking for secession when their own president madr Such clandestine movement in favour of Niger republic. in this scenario who is certified enemy of Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by DMerciful(m): 1:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
From Sai Baba to Wailing Wailers.....APC has nothing to offer.
fulanimafia:

Deal with the knock I've given you first cheesy. Your thread has been demerited. Cry me a river loser.

Keep wailing.
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by Goldmaxx(f): 1:54pm On Jul 16, 2015
My mother told me that buhari is evil. And she also told me that yorubas are not our friends.
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by Goldmaxx(f): 1:54pm On Jul 16, 2015
My mother told me that buhari is evil. And she also told me that yorubas are not our friends. Now i believe.
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by onufidel(m): 2:00pm On Oct 27, 2016
osifred:
I find this really hard to believe. who nominated Peter Onu for the position in the first place? I am sure that if by chance Buhari was against the emergency of Onu he won't have even made it open extend to the extend that other head of states will be aware, how on earth will another country's president be begging Buhari to support his own country's candidate when the reverse is normally the case where presidents lobby for their country's representative to be voted. In conclusion I smile lies.
This Peter Onu you are referring to is my father. Even if you think it's lies, I think I know enough.
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by stamcy(m): 2:04pm On Oct 27, 2016
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by Gayigaskia(m): 3:07pm On Oct 27, 2016
Wow this whole thing was a lie against BUHARI, the moment Buhari voted for Ide Oumarou (who by the way was a Songrai Zarma not Fulani). And there is a video on Youtube in French to listen where the Late leader of Niger Republic General Seyni Kountche referred to this matter. The problem was it was a serious battle between the Libyans Kaddafi) who support Niger against the Algerians who supported by the maliens. Either way the secretary was to be sloted to a francofone country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6auwslbK0X4

If you speak french please start from 29:01 this will clearly relate to what happened. This is the General Kountche himself who was also not Fulani.

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by osifred(m): 8:35pm On Oct 29, 2016
onufidel:
This Peter Onu you are referring to is my father. Even if you think it's lies, I think I know enough.
Sir, did Buhari refuse to vote for your father. YES or NO?
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by Greatfuture: 8:45pm On Oct 29, 2016
Are you people not tired,about Buhari hating IGBO,He hate Igbos but chose them twice as his vice president when he contested,and the igbos still rejected him
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by jpphilips(m): 6:46am On Jan 14, 2018
pazienza:
[b] Uzor Maxim Uzoatu
“I remember in 1985 in Africa Hall that he
was for confirmation of Dr Peter Onu of
Nigeria, who was acting Secretary General
but Nigeria’s Head of State Gen
Muhammadu Buhary was adamant in his
support of Niger’s candidate, Idi Omaro, a
Fulani Muslim. In a meeting, a handful of
Presidents led by Nyerere met with Gen
Buhary and Nwalimu begged him: ‘Please
give us Peter!’ Buhary refused and forgot
even to be courteous to his old peers.
What was astonishing, when the vote was
in favour of Niger’s candidate, the
Nigerian Head rejoiced to such a degree
that he was unable to control his
emotions. That was a moment I witnessed
and was convinced that General Buhary
would not last long as a leader.” – The
OAU: Reality Or Fiction by Ibrahim
Daggash, former Head of Information and
Communication, Organization of African
Unity (OAU); pg 69; ISBN
1-9044722-25-3 It is unheard-of in
history that a self-respecting leader of a
country would vote against his country’s
candidate in international diplomacy. But
here, you have it in black and white, in a
book, that former Head of State General
Muhammadu Buhari would rather have a
Fulani Muslim candidate from Niger
instead of Nigeria’s own esteemed Dr.
Peter Onu. Not even the highly revered
then President of Tanzania, Julius Nyerere
could make Buhari to change his mind.
This kind of bizarre shamelessness is why
Nigeria is the laughing stock of the
civilized world. It is unthinkable that any
leader, anywhere would insult his own
country by backing an opponent from
another country. The crude tragedy here
is that it was the selfsame Buhari who
made this patriotic statement: “This
generation of Nigerians and indeed future
generations have no other country than
Nigeria. We must stay here to salvage it
together.” How would the late Peter Onu
have faith in Nigeria when he could not
get the support of his country’s leader? It
is as though the so-called leader was
more interested in the ethnicity and
religion of Peter Onu’s opponent from
Niger than any bonds of citizenship with
his Nigerian compatriot. Cry, the beloved
country, as Alan Paton entitled his sad
book. Attaining the great post of
Secretary-General of the then OAU was a
task most African countries gave their all
in raising their diplomatic stakes. In Peter
Onu’s case, he even had the other African
countries rooting for him because of his
undoubted competence only to be
abandoned by the very man at the helm of
affairs in his own country. Indeed Chinua
Achebe was spot-on when he stated that
the trouble with Nigeria stood on
leadership in his classic little book The
Trouble With Nigeria. A leader that cannot
support his countrymen and women can
only be aid to be worse than useless. [/b]

I think there is something wrong with your quote, the book did not say Peter Onu stood for the election because we all know Peter never stood for the election.
For you to contest as it was the practice then, you need confirmation from your country's head of state, Buhari denied Peter the confirmation hence he was not eligible to contest.
So it is fallicious to write that Buhari voted against peter when he didn't get confirmation in the first place.
Again the book never gave reasons why Buhari supported idi oamouru, the "fulani" clause was added by you, there was no place it was mentioned in the book.
Remember, i have the book, you just made me to read that page again.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by jpphilips(m): 6:50am On Jan 14, 2018
osifred:

Sir, did Buhari refuse to vote for your father. YES or NO?

Peter Onu did not contest the election so there is no question about who voted for who?

2 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by SouthEastFacts: 6:56am On Jan 14, 2018
mrvitalis:

First of all buhari as a president have freedom to choose who ever he feels will benefit Nigeria the most
Am not in his mind and maybe the onu or what ever his name was didn't represent the ideological he had... .. or maybe he didn't want a Nigerian at that point to have such power and begin to power tussle with him
Please Obama did the same in the world Bank president election. .. . This things happen alot
Was it not the same buhari that supported Jonathan agricultural minister for ADB president?
Please go read more about international politices
You are dangerously dangerous. I wonder the kind of life you are leading outside this virtual enclave.

2 Likes

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by pazienza(m): 7:54am On Jan 14, 2018
jpphilips:

I think there is something wrong with your quote, the book did not say Peter Onu stood for the election because we all know Peter never stood for the election.
For you to contest as it was the practice then, you need confirmation from your country's head of state, Buhari denied Peter the confirmation hence he was not eligible to contest.
So it is fallicious to write that Buhari voted against peter when he didn't get confirmation in the first place.
Again the book never gave reasons why Buhari supported idi oamouru, the "fulani" clause was added by you, there was no place it was mentioned in the book.
Remember, i have the book, you just made me to read that page again.

Is Idi oamouru not a Fulani?

Are you saying that daggash was wrong in his assessment of the situation, remember, daggash was an OAU insider?

We should take your own assessment of the situation over his?

Since you said you have the book, kindly do post the part of the book quoted by me, let's see how it supports your opinion of Peter Onu ineligibility.

Buhari denied Peter Onu the nomination, even when many African heads of states were itching him to present Peter Onu, Buhari instead chose to throw his weight behind his Fulani brother.
Is the above narrative acceptable to you?

If it is, then it's still same thing. He chose a Fulani over a Nigerian, thats the whole point.

1 Like

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by jpphilips(m): 11:50am On Jan 14, 2018
pazienza:

Is Idi oamouru not a Fulani?

Are you saying that daggash was wrong in his assessment of the situation, remember, Dagash was an OAU insider?

We should take your own assessment of the situation over his?

Since you said you have the book, kindly do post the part of the book quoted by me, let's see how it supports your opinion of Peter Onu ineligibility.

Buhari denied Peter Onu the nomination, even when many African heads of states were itching him to present Peter Onu, Buhari instead chose to throw his weight behind his Fulani brother.
Is the above narrative acceptable to you?

If it is, then it's still same thing. He chose a Fulani over a Nigerian, thats the whole point.

Idi Oamouru is not a Fulani man, he is of Zarma tribe.
Listen, you quoted a book I own and because of you, I have read page 69 again, Dagash did not give any reason why Buhari refused to confirm Onu, the fulani angle was a mischievous twist.

Again Dagash did not say Onu contested the election because without a confirmation from your head of state, he was ineligible, that brings the second subject of voting against him. You dont vote for El rufai in an election fielding Jonathan and Wike.
I dont do attachments on nairaland, I will show you a link where I uploaded that page 69.

In another book titled "theory and reality in foreign policy", Gambari explained why Buhari denied Onu that confirmation.
In 1983 Idi oumaru and salim salim contested for the oau sec gen seat, the election ended in a deadlock, that was why Oau appointed its highest ranking diplomat at the time Peter Onu to occupy that seat on interim basis.

Within that 2yrs, using his interim position, peter onu made friends and wanted to contest unfortunately, idi ouaru has met buhari first and being a west african, we are supporting ourselves, most west African countries voted for Idi not just Nigeria. On that visit Buhari gave his word to Idi.

Buhari explained to Onu that this guys have been on this struggle for two years, giving him a nomination in 1985 will disfavour the contestants especially our west african chap Idi. Also on interim capacity, Onu has enjoyed half of their tenure due to the election deadlock.

According to Dagesh, Onu sent Julius Nyerere to lobby for his confirmation Buhari saw it as very unpatriotic because Salim Salim of Tanzania was equally in the struggle.

I have both books, ive read them all.

Zoom the image below to read the original text of what daggersh said.

https://medium.com/factsonlyng/breaking-the-internet-and-burning-questions-does-buhari-hate-the-igbos-part-1-98a24da4aab0

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by pazienza(m): 9:33pm On Jan 14, 2018
jpphilips:

Idi Oamouru is not a Fulani man, he is of Zarma tribe.
Listen, you quoted a book I own and because of you, I have read page 69 again, Dagash did not give any reason why Buhari refused to confirm Onu, the fulani angle was a mischievous twist.

Again Dagash did not say Onu contested the election because without a confirmation from your head of state, he was ineligible, that brings the second subject of voting against him. You dont vote for El rufai in an election fielding Jonathan and Wike.
I dont do attachments on nairaland, I will show you a link where I uploaded that page 69.

In another book titled "theory and reality in foreign policy", Gambari explained why Buhari denied Onu that confirmation.
In 1983 Idi oumaru and salim salim contested for the oau sec gen seat, the election ended in a deadlock, that was why Oau appointed its highest ranking diplomat at the time Peter Onu to occupy that seat on interim basis.

Within that 2yrs, using his interim position, peter onu made friends and wanted to contest unfortunately, idi ouaru has met buhari first and being a west african, we are supporting ourselves, most west African countries voted for Idi not just Nigeria. On that visit Buhari gave his word to Idi.

Buhari explained to Onu that this guys have been on this struggle for two years, giving him a nomination in 1985 will disfavour the contestants especially our west african chap Idi. Also on interim capacity, Onu has enjoyed half of their tenure due to the election deadlock.

According to Dagesh, Onu sent Julius Nyerere to lobby for his confirmation Buhari saw it as very unpatriotic because Salim Salim of Tanzania was equally in the struggle.

I have both books, ive read them all.

Zoom the image below to read the original text of what daggersh said.

https://medium.com/factsonlyng/breaking-the-internet-and-burning-questions-does-buhari-hate-the-igbos-part-1-98a24da4aab0

Where did you get the part of Buhari finding Nyerere support for Onu unpatriotic from?

Buhari refused to support Onu, despite the fact that Onu had many people like Nyerere supporting him.

The only thing you have been able to prove so far is that Onu didn't actually contest, he was denied the chance to contest by Buhari, who chose a MUSLIM Niger man, of questionable ethnicity ( I'm yet to verify your claim about Ide, ethnic nationality).

You have not been able to disprove that Buhari supported a non Nigerian over a Nigerian of Igbo extraction, an Igbo man who already had many others supporting him, and stood a chance of winning with Buhari support.

Buhari motivation for doing the above is subject to different interpretations, but going by his antecedents, you haven't done enough to disprove the anti Igbo motive behind his action at that particular point in time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by jpphilips(m): 5:59am On Jan 15, 2018
pazienza:

Where did you get the part of Buhari finding Nyerere support for Onu unpatriotic from?

Buhari refused to support Onu, despite the fact that Onu had many people like Nyerere supporting him.

The only thing you have been able to prove so far is that Onu didn't actually contest, he was denied the chance to contest by Buhari, who chose a MUSLIM Niger man, of questionable ethnicity ( I'm yet to verify your claim about Ide, ethnic nationality).

You have not been able to disprove that Buhari supported a non Nigerian over a Nigerian of Igbo extraction, an Igbo man who already had many others supporting him, and stood a chance of winning with Buhari support.

Buhari motivation for doing the above is subject to different interpretations, but going by his antecedents, you haven't done enough to disprove the anti Igbo motive behind his action at that particular point in time.

I can see most of you have a problem with reading reason anybody can lie to you about a book, common sense dictates that you open the link I showed you, from there you can read the original text from Dagash.

Again I feel special sympathy for the Nigerian youth because most of you have no foundational knowledge neither do you guys understand simple processes.

Salim Salim of Tanzania was in the race 1983/85 elections while Julius Nyerere was busy lobbying for Onu, common sense should make the connection for you not Buhari nor myself. If you care to know, salim salim became the 7th Oau sec gen immediately after idi oauru's tenure. These are common knowledge.

If Onu didn't contest like you agreed, how did you come up with the fiction that Buhari voted against him? Do you vote against a non contestant? Another common sense issue.
I have showed you the original text from Dagash there was no fulani nor moslem in that paragraph, where did you get those from? Let me guess, the usual bigotry that has reduced Black Africans to animals in the 21st century?
Instead of using common sense like I did to murder your lies, you preferred to use Bigotry, is that not why ordinary Libyan Arabs are selling your country men for as low as $300? Is that not why your country men used salt water to cure Ebola?

Why did OAU field salim salim immediately after idi's tenure? Peter Onu became the interim sec gen as a result of idi's misfortune (election deadlock) don't you understand English?
Onu enjoyed idi's position for 2yrs on interim capacity, after which he wanted to contest forgetting that idi and Salim have been in the struggle since 1983, im sure you have no idea how difficult it is to lobby heads of state for a vote, perhaps you think it is a come chop affair. How will you feel if Abdusalami Abubakar refused to step aside in 1999 rather instead of setting up a transition committee as interim head of state ,decides to set up a machinery that will elect him into civilian office?
Truly blacks dont have common sense.

I don't need to prove anything to you because there is no guarantee common sense will prevail, may your line of thought continue guiding the choices you make in life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by pazienza(m): 3:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
jpphilips:

I can see most of you have a problem with reading reason anybody can lie to you about a book, common sense dictates that you open the link I showed you, from there you can read the original text from Dagash.

Again I feel special sympathy for the Nigerian youth because most of you have no foundational knowledge neither do you guys understand simple processes.

Salim Salim of Tanzania was in the race 1983/85 elections while Julius Nyerere was busy lobbying for Onu, common sense should make the connection for you not Buhari nor myself. If you care to know, salim salim became the 7th Oau sec gen immediately after idi oauru's tenure. These are common knowledge.

If Onu didn't contest like you agreed, how did you come up with the fiction that Buhari voted against him? Do you vote against a non contestant? Another common sense issue.
I have showed you the original text from Dagash there was no fulani nor moslem in that paragraph, where did you get those from? Let me guess, the usual bigotry that has reduced Black Africans to animals in the 21st century?
Instead of using common sense like I did to murder your lies, you preferred to use Bigotry, is that not why ordinary Libyan Arabs are selling your country men for as low as $300?

Why did OAU field salim salim immediately after idi's tenure? Peter Onu became the interim sec gen as a result of idi's misfortune (election deadlock) dont you understand English?
Onu enjoyed idi's position for 2yrs on interim capacity, after which he wanted to contest forgetting that idi and Salim have been in the struggle since 1983, im sure you have no idea how difficult it is to lobby heads of state for a vote, perhaps you think it is a come chop affair. How will you feel if Abdusalami Abubakar refused to step aside in 1999 rather intead of setting up a transition committee as interim head of state ,decides to set up a machinery that will elect him into civilian office?
Truly blacks dont have common sense.

I don't need to prove anything to you because there is no guarantee common sense will prevail, may your line of thought continue guiding the choices you make in life.

Re read all you wrote again, and tell me if you made any sense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by aburi2008: 12:10am On Jan 22, 2019
Buhari's attitude from 2015 till date towards the Igbos, has justifies this claim.....
Re: Did Buhari Really Refuse To Vote For Peter Onu In 1985? by bigassprob: 6:23pm On Feb 21, 2021
Any body defending this trash is a bigot and pure deliberate liar....as in the hatred is no longer hidden and they don't know how else to defend it....Pls let's all man go his ways.... Na by force ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Air Force To Get 3 JF17 Fighter Aircraft From Pakistani Air Force / GRV Calls For Suspension Of CMD After Vwaere Died In Hospital Elevator Accident / How Justice Ademola, Wife Collected N597m Bribe - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.