Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,881 members, 7,828,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs (2166 Views)

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 12:17pm On Jul 14, 2015
This subject has been on my mind for some days now and I really want to use this medium to reach thousands of Nigerians who will In turn help me reach other thousands, if not millions of other Nigerians.

This subject is proven to be detrimental in so many ways and its negative impact can never be stopped except it is adequately pointed out.

Now follow me as I point out a few of them….

In Nigeria, different ethnicity and tribes has been known for different moral, physical and domestic practices and some of them have become false beliefs that people hold on steadfastly to.

For example:

1. The Yorubas are widely known to be dirty people and also love to be aggressive.

2. The Igbos are known to love money and can betray anyone for money.

3. The Hausas are known to be naturally aggressive and love to fight for no reason.

4. The Ibibios are known to be very tribal and are very loose when it comes to moral values such as sex-life.

5. Some part of the south-south, e.g Rives and Bayelsa are known to have this polygamous nature and the women are seen as people who cannot stay in marriage or cannot stay with a man.

Let me pause because there are lots been said about different tribes that I have never heard. Let’s analyze; to an extent, these beliefs seem to be true, but don’t forget that man is a social being and he works with his brain and environment.

I personally met this cute lady a few weeks ago, we got talking and I got to find out she is from Mbaise in Imo state. If u have an idea of how people see the Mbaise people, u should understand better. When she told me that, in my heart I was like “WTH!!! Mbaise is surely a NO! NO!” I had to take some time to ponder over this and I said to myself “hey dude, don’t discriminate”. Now we are pretty good friends tho the future is quite uncertain for now. ;-)

Sometimes when one is born into any of these tribes, he/she inherits those beliefs by mindset. And before you know it, he/she acts towards that direction.

That’s not much of a problem tho, but where the issue is now is this;

When a man wants to get married to a lady, he get demoralized by friends/family about the girls tribe. E.g the lady may hail from Rivers or Bayelsa or even one of the Yoruba states. If he is not a strong-willed person, after the points have been fully bisected and explained by the so-called family and friends, he will have a change of heart and quit the marriage.

Same goes to business, when you want to give someone an opportunity to manage the monetary part of your business, and you hear that he is an Igbo man/woman, it takes an amazing level of trust to make that employer give that job to him/her. Just giving basic examples and I believe there are worse cases that has happened based on this same factor.

The bottom line is this, we really need to change our mindset towards people’s tribe and what has already been believed to be true about their tribe.

If we do this, it will definitely salvage lots of things in this our beautiful county. There are lots of single ladies/men, unemployed youths and so many suffering simply because of these discrimination. We have to save people from this and make this country a better place for one to live in.

http://www.chuzzyblog.com/2015/07/hazards-of-ethnic-discrimination-and.html

cc:
lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by talentedjoe(m): 12:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
Brb
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
talentedjoe:
Brb
:-Follows him out
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by wahles(m): 12:20pm On Jul 14, 2015
Here incase dz makes Fp#
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 12:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
wahles:
Here incase dz makes Fp#

see boys
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 2:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
Freemanan:
:-Follows him out

Where to?
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
ChuzzyBlog:

Where to?
Agege
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 4:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
safe trip man....
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 4:04pm On Jul 14, 2015
wahles:
Here incase dz makes Fp#

Most times informative posts like this don't make front page on nairaland... undecided
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by wahles(m): 6:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
ChuzzyBlog:

Most times informative posts like this don't make front page on nairaland... undecided
Mods go prove u wrong now
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 9:20am On Jul 15, 2015
wahles:

Mods go prove u wrong now

They are yet to prove me wrong bro
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Agrika: 9:32am On Jul 15, 2015
That's so true, nice one o.p
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 9:36am On Jul 15, 2015
Agrika:
That's so true, nice one o.p

Tanx.. just wish majority of Nigerians will come to this understanding
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 5:07am On Jul 20, 2015
smiley
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 5:22pm On Oct 13, 2015
lalasticlala can this make FP?
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by lalasticlala(m): 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2015
ChuzzyBlog:
lalasticlala can this make FP?

they will fight, turn this thread into another war, so my hand no de there o. lol
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 5:36pm On Oct 13, 2015
lalasticlala:

they will fight, turn this thread into another war, so my hand no de there o. lol

no worry no fights will erupt. This may help some people change their mentality you know
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 13, 2015
The Yorubas are widely known to be dirty people and also love to be aggressive.

That line shows the OP is ibo.

'Widely known to be dirty people and love to be aggressive'

Widely known in the world of people from the East whose settlements in the west - e.g Lagos are the dirtiest yet they refer to Yoruba as dirty.

Talking about aggression, the Ibo language alone when spoken sounds aggressive to the ears not to mention how you get over slight provocations between yourselves, yet you tag other folks as aggressive.

Watch how your thread will go up in flames.

1 Like

Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by jnrbayano(m): 6:10pm On Oct 13, 2015
I pray that this doesn't go any close to the homepage.

Your good intentions have already been foiled by the poster above me.

2 Likes

Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by jnrbayano(m): 6:14pm On Oct 13, 2015
9jacrip:

That line shows the OP is ibo.

'Widely known to be dirty people and love to be aggressive'

Widely known in the world of people from the East whose settlements in the west - e.g Lagos are the dirtiest yet they refer to Yoruba as dirty.

Talking about aggression, the Ibo language alone when spoken sounds aggressive to the ears not to mention how you get over slight provocations between yourselves, yet you tag other folks as aggressive.

Watch how your thread will go up in flames.

You added the first cup of fuel when you chose to probe the Op on a stereotype of which he didn't originate and out of his goodwill raise this thread to reorientate people like you.

Why are you quick to baptise him with the water of the Igbo tribe?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2015
jnrbayano:

You added the first cup of fuel when you chose to probe the Op on a stereotype of which he didn't originate and out of his goodwill raise this thread to reorientate people like you.

Why are you quick to baptise him with the water of the Igbo tribe?

There was no probe, that first line gave him away.

He should re-orientate himself and his people, not me.
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by jnrbayano(m): 6:47pm On Oct 13, 2015
9jacrip:

There was no probe, that first line gave him away.

He should re-orientate himself and his people, not me.

And his 2nd line was what about "his" people?

2 Likes

Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2015
jnrbayano:

And his 2nd line was what about "his" people?

It is not my concern whatever he chooses to oen about his kin folks.
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 13, 2015
Dangers of a single story....

1 Share

Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by jnrbayano(m): 6:55pm On Oct 13, 2015
9jacrip:

It is not my concern whatever he chooses to oen about his kin folks.

It must be your concern that's if you must comment. That you could have used to forecast whether his intentions were clear or not.

Snap out of tribal war fellow.
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2015
jnrbayano:

It must be your concern that's if you must comment. That you could have used to forecast whether his intentions were clear or not.

Snap out of tribal war fellow.

Comments about my folks will always be concern.
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by jnrbayano(m): 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2015
9jacrip:

Comments about my folks will always be concern.

You obviously have refused to understand neither his motives nor mine.

I let you be.
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 13, 2015
jnrbayano:

You obviously have refused to understand neither his motives nor mine.

I let you be.

To each his own.
Re: Hazards Of Ethnic Discrimination And False Beliefs by ChuzzyBlog: 2:26pm On Oct 14, 2015
its okay folks... lets die this... Hoping Nigeria will get better someday

(1) (Reply)

200 Years Of Yoruba In Ghana: Culture, Honour, History Take Centre-stage In Accr / Ekiti People - The Origin / Benue Youth Cultural Carnival With Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.