Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,237 members, 7,825,919 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Help:need To Define My Career Path - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help:need To Define My Career Path (803 Views)

Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / My Career Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help:need To Define My Career Path by omafal(m): 10:34am On Mar 10, 2009
I am in my early 30's with a degree in Banking and Finance, single. Presently i work for a construction company as admin/finance manager. Been on this job for 5years now and i noticed that i have not really improved my self in terms of skills and proffessional qualification. Reason been that i do same thing everyday for the past 5 years. Simple put, my job is not challenging. Right now i want a change of job and to do that i need to improve my CV in other to be marketable. I would like this forum to help on the kind of proffessional exams/bodies i should go for. I think i would prefer to pursue a career in Administration.

Thank you
Re: Help:need To Define My Career Path by kiwi992(m): 11:05am On Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

Having a degree in Banking and Finance should have got you a job in a Nigerian bank.  I'm surprised that you didn't pursue that avenue, considering that every Nigerian wishes to work in a bank!

Still, let's not dwell on that for now.  You've been doing finance and admin for the past five years, in your current job.  You said you hadn't made any progress either.  Now, you wish to train into pure Administration.  Why?  Why would you want to go into boring Admin again, why?  Would you rather be sitting in some desolate office, twidling your thumb all day, wasting the next five years again or what?  You'll be bored out of your mind, I can tell you now. 

Why not capitalise on your academic qualification by seeking employment in a bank (everybody in Nigeria does) and train for the professional exams of the Institute of Bankers or perhaps Accountancy - e.g. ICAN, ACCA or CIMA. 

All the best to you.

kiwi992.
Re: Help:need To Define My Career Path by omafal(m): 3:49pm On Mar 11, 2009
kiwi992:

Hi,

Having a degree in Banking and Finance should have got you a job in a Nigerian bank.  I'm surprised that you didn't pursue that avenue, considering that every Nigerian wishes to work in a bank!

Still, let's not dwell on that for now.  You've been doing finance and admin for the past five years, in your current job.  You said you hadn't made any progress either.  Now, you wish to train into pure Administration.  Why?  Why would you want to go into boring Admin again, why?  Would you rather be sitting in some desolate office, twidling your thumb all day, wasting the next five years again or what?  You'll be bored out of your mind, I can tell you now. 

Why not capitalise on your academic qualification by seeking employment in a bank (everybody in Nigeria does) and train for the professional exams of the Institute of Bankers or perhaps Accountancy - e.g. ICAN, ACCA or CIMA. 

All the best to you.

kiwi992.
kiwi992:

Hi,

All the best to you.

kiwi992.
thanks for ur response. but at my age with no prior experience in banking, do u think its advisable for me 2 seek employment in a bank?

(1) (Reply)

Info About Acca Registration / Masters Or Professional Certification? / Computer Science Or Statistics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.