Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar (16747 Views)

Naira Drops To 490/$1, 600/£1 / Naira Drops To 251/dollar, External Reserves Now $29.7bn / Naira Drops To 235 Against Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 16, 2015
Fed gvt cannot fund the demand by the bidders to import goods or to send dollars to import raw materials.

The reason is simply the unimaginable dipping of the foreign reserve from over $80b to $29b by GEJ administration.

Let's give GMB the coming years to build the reserve and repair refineries to stop demand of dollars to import refined crude.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Opinedecandid(m): 5:59pm On Jul 16, 2015
holytribe:
God will see us through this tussle. Yet, am a patriotic Nigerian and I love my country

Is that right?

Do you really think there is nothing wrong somewhere which can weaken your patriotism?
Nigeria must remain as one, brother.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by baralatie(m): 5:59pm On Jul 16, 2015
Stater of London please send me $10000 pere for sallah!
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by mrfifty: 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2015
let buhari equet 1doller to 1nairah.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by ut47(m): 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
IT'S CALL CHANGE!!!
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Thanks Saudi Arabia....see what you have done.

Trying to force the Americans out of the oil business.....by overproducing.

Nigeria should get off oil.

Modified: I see some PDP slaves blaming APC. Make I laff at them.

This is not a defence of APC....for once.Just stating facts.

1.The USA is now buying 3% of our oil...thanks to the production of shale oil.

2.Saudi Arabia is overproducing...so as to force the oil prices down....and force those shale oil companies out of business.

3.As a result...oil fell from $123 in June 2014 to $65 now.

4.Nigeria is not earning enough forex from oil.

5.Our Naira falls in value due to lack of forex.

6.Therefore...Nigeria must diversify from oil....and become industrial.

7.Nothing to do with Buhari. Everything to do with PDP and their corrupt ways for the last 16 years...with nothing left for education and innvoation. Also...our lazy state governors who prefer overspending oil money to innovative economic development.

You can blame Buhari if after two years....Nigeria is still oil dependent.
But pdp is no longer in power na.Let's start seeing signs of change from the new party not excuse of pdp 16 years non performance.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
Adminisher:

It is not partly his fault. It is wholly is fault. You guys go and read your economics books. Anyway the guy is going down. The new government will start releasing details of corruption during his era and an international dragnet will soon be pit in place with the cooperation. When they finish with them if you see governments 1 kobo you won't touch it.

I refrain from putting the whole blame on GEJ ,because oil dependency did not start with him.

Our problem started from independence when we became reliant on selling resources/raw materials to the UK and europe...just like we did during colonial rule.

In the 1970's...we started an industrial project. At the same time, oil became profitable in the wake of the OPEC crisis of 1973. As a result...we had free oil money.Suddenly...we began over-importing and building prestige projects. Instead of putting money into industrial development.(Self sabotage).

And much of what we were...and still are importing was made in Nigeria.(Like Sugar.....we had a big sugar factory...yet we were still importing the thing.

By 1982...when oil prices crashed.(yes...it happened before).....we were broke and in debt. Hence...SAP by 1986.

But even then....Nigeria did not learn its lessons. Sure...we tried to develop industries....but we kept right on over-importing.

GEJ continued the trend. Sure...he invested in industries. We have car assembly plants and light. But the palaver was that Ajaokuta is still not working....so we would still be spending money to bring in car parts...to assemble in Nigeria. (Throwing away money).

Nigeria's resource dependency (not just on oil ,in the past groundnut,cocoa,palm oil etc)....is what has wrecked our economy. Time we swallowed austerity.....and really focused on developing industries. The oil money is not enough.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by lordimpaq(m): 6:03pm On Jul 16, 2015
Nobody read this post very well...the post said naira drops to 242 per dollar at the parallel market...the parallel market is the black market not official. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dualexchangerate.asp

the current official rate to dollar is 199 http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=NGN

The problem we nigerians have is we jump to conclusion too soon.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Btruth: 6:03pm On Jul 16, 2015
obailala:

[size=13pt]Very dull brains everywhere... Even an idiott knows the steady decline of the naira is due to the previous administration's financial recklessness before the eventual drop in oil prices... It will take a long while before this trend balances and reverses. [/size]
kudos to you brother. You are the first person that will reason the same way with me from the beginning of the thread. It only takes people with excellent thought to know that whatever that is happening now is the problem that the past administration had caused. I believed in this government, let heaters continue to scream, and unfortunately, there's nothing anyone could do to change the government till the next 4 years.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by gozmok1(m): 6:03pm On Jul 16, 2015
Hakagure:
Any one who thinks Buhari controls the exchange rate lacks and understanding of Economics and History
sharaaap if you dont know what comment . Baba dullard must be blamed its part of his promise.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by kilokeys(m): 6:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Thank you.

That is not the subject under discussion....and Boko was still active in the dying days of GEJ's rule.

But now its HYPERACTIVE
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by maximilian19(m): 6:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
we Nigeria, is time we ask pmb which of the dollar his talking abt, cos now am seeing it no longer america dollar but insteas Zimbabwa dollar.

even naira to dollar don get subsidy. cos he promise and tell the xtain prigrims an excharge of a dollar to naira at N160 to $1, wo go pay the remaining balance if not subsidy
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
Obijulius:
Buhari is the epitome of Cluelessness.

Only a Dullar_d will support the old fool. A man who promised to stabilise the international price of crude oil.

Nigeria is in its final days.
Kindly pick your brain from the waste bin where you dumped it. thanks.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by illiad: 6:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
obailala:

[size=13pt]Very dull brains everywhere... Even an idiott knows the steady decline of the naira is due to the previous administration's financial recklessness before the eventual drop in oil prices... It will take a long while before this trend balances and reverses. [/size]

EXACTLY WAT I EXPECTED TO HEAR FROM MISERABLE PEOPLE WHO KNEW NOTHING ABOUT NATIONAL GOVERNMENT BEYOND MAKING ILLITERATE PROMISES OF CONTROLING INTER OIL PRICE AND MAKIN A DOLLAR EQUAL TO NAIRA

NOW THE WORLD IS SEEING YOUR BRAINLESSNESS

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 16, 2015
illiad:
AND NO ONE IS SCREAMING CLUELESS ANYMORE

NORTH AND SW

TWO PROBLEMS OF NIGERIA

You obviously are not well.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 16, 2015
otunsman:
But pdp is no longer in power na.Let's start seeing signs of change from the new party not excuse of pdp 16 years non performance.

You people think that Buhari wouldmagically stabilze everything....when oil prices are still low.

(Or are you still bitter over PDP losing).

If your PDP chaps had at least resuscitated Ajaokuta....and improved power supply so that we could have industries galore.and invested in making the existing universities and polys better...not adding new ones without increasing education funding!..the naira would be in much better health.

After all in the run up to the last election....you people told us how wonderful things were.If they really were....we would not be in this mess.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 16, 2015
The way our naira is falling, it will soon break neck. Too bad for a change

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 16, 2015
illiad:

EXACTLY WAT I EXPECTED TO HEAR FROM MISERABLE PEOPLE WHO KNEW NOTHING ABOUT NATIONAL GOVERNMENT BEYOND MAKING ILLITERATE PROMISES OF CONTROLING INTER OIL PRICE AND MAKIN A DOLLAR EQUAL TO NAIRA

NOW THE WORLD IS SEEING YOUR BRAINLESSNESS
Like they say many are mad but few are roaming. you need to see your psychiatrist now. Your last med is pending.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 16, 2015
kilokeys:

But now its HYPERACTIVE

And during GEJ's regime...it was still hyperactive.

People were still dying and fleeing...

Still....Buhari has to improve doemstic intelligence.

But that is not the topic under discussion.....because of your PDP's failure to diversify the economy.....naira is now falling.

If Jona had transformed the economy....naira would have been stronger.

Buhari needs more than two months to repair the mess of 16 years.And yes...I am watching him. I am not his fan. I am for Nigeria.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2015
gozmok1:
sharaaap if you dont know what comment . Baba dullard must be blamed its part of his promise.
shoro niyen abi isokuso. Better go check yourself for brain damage

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 16, 2015
mrfifty:
let buhari equet 1doller to 1nairah.
go back to school sir. thank me later

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by nkpommpko(m): 6:13pm On Jul 16, 2015
Obijulius:
Buhari is the epitome of Cluelessness.

Only a Dullar_d will support the old fool. A man who promised to stabilise the international price of crude oil.

Nigeria is in its final days.
in 1month, after badluck messed the economy, I have never insulted any body in this forum, but I need to tell you that you are the young fool soon to be old so your grandchildren will call you an old grand fool. You are punish already since you have no respect. Fool.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 16, 2015
danjumakolo:
Fed gvt cannot fund the demand by the bidders to import goods or to send dollars to import raw materials.

The reason is simply the unimaginable dipping of the foreign reserve from over $80b to $29b by GEJ administration

Let's give GMB the coming years to build the reserve and repair refineries to stop demand of dollars to import refined crude.

While that was bad and wrong...the real reason is that the basis for that foreign reserve is tenuous.

For us to have a healthy reserve....we need oil to be at $123 per barrel AT LEAST.(Russia needs it at $100 per barrel).

That era is now over.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by duni04(m): 6:14pm On Jul 16, 2015
I totally agree with the CBNs policy on forex controls. If those beureau de change people like, let them sell a dollar at N300 naira. The alternative market or black market in Nigeria constitutes about 1% of currency trading in Nigeria. It's ridiculous for people to assume demand in the black market is representative of the entire forex market. If you want dollars for legitimate reasons, go to the bank and fill out the paperwork.
The only problem with this is the ease of carrying out forex transactions with banks. The CBN should streamline this process and make it easier. But to cave In to those dubious blackmarketers and speculators and devalue the naira again? Mba!!!
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
bushdoc9919:

You people think that Buhari wouldmagically stabilze everything....when oil prices are still low.

(Or are you still bitter over PDP losing).

If your PDP chaps had at least resuscitated Ajaokuta....and improved power supply so that we could have industries galore.and invested in making the existing universities and polys better...not adding new ones without increasing education funding!..the naira would be in much better health.

After all in the run up to the last election....you people told us how wonderful things were.If they really were....we would not be in this mess.
Keeping my fingers crossed for this new administration.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Evaromantik(m): 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
Poor and worthless Nation.......despite all the oils u are drilling from Biafraland,u are still poor and retched ooh Nigeria.......unless u let Biafra go,u will remain poor and slave forever
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Evaromantik(m): 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
Poor and worthless Nation.......despite all the oils u are drilling from Biafraland,u are still poor and retched ooh Nigeria.......unless u let Biafra go,u will remain poor and slave forever
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Donalleh(m): 6:21pm On Jul 16, 2015
Chai what is all this from $160 - $242.5
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by 989900: 6:21pm On Jul 16, 2015
rati ken:

The summary of Boyo's position is:
Boyo has maintained that the foreign exchange role of the CBN should be de-monoploized which i consider very valid.
We sell our crude in US dollar, why should the CBN single handedly provide equivalent naira to the various ministries and states even for dollar expenditures. Because the states and ministries will go back to the open market to source the dollar equivalents at prices artificially manipulated by the CBN. If CBN provides allocations in equivalent dollars as needed, this will drive up the value of the naira as there will be less demand pressure on the US dollars.

As such the price of PMS in equivalent naira will drop as well as the imported products are purchased in dollars. At an improved naira rate, subsidy rate will be greatly minimised or even disappear depending on the strenght of the naira.

In a more simpler terms, a lot of factors influence our foreign exchange rates, overr and above the place of our economy, the demand of a particular currency drive up the exchange rate. CBN creates artificial scarcity by providing funds/ allocations to various parastatals and states in naira rather than in dollars which is the actual currency on which our revenue is derived. If we eliminate this artificial scarcity by providing funds in dollars, we can get our exchange rate down to 1$ = 110 naira (my assumption)
(sic).

https://www.nairaland.com/844884/solution-fuel-subsidy-wahala-look (pictorial representation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSvITJc9uk

Then you have to factor in our importation of refined products, which takes up anywhere between 30-40% of our Forex demand.

And a host of other factors too; from epileptic power supply to currency round tripping and racketeering between the CBN, banks, and BDCs, importation of ridiculous items and e.t.c.

"The problem of the Nigerian economy will remain intractable until the CBN's monopoly of the forex market is dismantled" _ Les Leba.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by 989900: 6:23pm On Jul 16, 2015
duni04:
I totally agree with the CBNs policy on forex controls. If those beureau de change people like, let them sell a dollar at N300 naira. [s]The alternative market or black market in Nigeria constitutes about 1% of currency trading in Nigeria. It's ridiculous for people to assume demand in the black market is representative of the entire forex market. If you want dollars for legitimate reasons, go to the bank and fill out the paperwork.[/s]
The only problem with this is the ease of carrying out forex transactions with banks. The CBN should streamline this process and make it easier. But to cave In to those dubious blackmarketers and speculators and devalue the naira again? Mba!!!

Really? What is the exchange rate at the banks as at today?
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 16, 2015
Evaromantik:
Poor and selfish Nation.......despite all the oils u are drilling from Biafraland,u are still poor and retched ooh Nigeria.......unless u let Biafra go,u will remain poor and slave forever

And if Biafra gets free...it would still be poor and slave forever.

Now....calm down.I am not here to argue for and against Biafra.

I am here to argue against the idea you have...that producing oil= rich nations.

At which point I hear you pointing at Saudi and Norway

1.Both countries have small populations....12 million each.

2.Norway has a strong diversified economy....it has an industrial sector. (A big part of that sector is for the building and maintenance of reinereis and oil rigs. Does Biafra have that?).

Even Saudi has a lot saved away...because of the small population. But even they are worried...ten years down the lane.....if things stay the way they are...they would be broke.

Your Biafra has 50 million people....and not very much industry. And the education system is down.And you expect that oil would save you.

It won't.

When oil prices go up....Nigerians and Biafrans import. When oil prices go down....Nigerians and Biafrans continue to import...until the IMF comes around and starts telling them how to spend their money. (You thought it was your money?).

Get it right...oil economies never prosper.That is why Nigeria or Biafra will get nowhere without serious industrial development.(And my hope is that PMB and our governors will give serious thought to this). Because .....most oil producers are really economically unviable. Especially when the oil price drops....and it is going to keep dropping because more and more people produce oil.
Re: Naira Drops To 242.5 Against Dollar by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 16, 2015
bushdoc9919:

While that was bad and wrong...the real reason is that the basis for that foreign reserve is tenuous.

For us to have a healthy reserve....we need oil to be at $123 per barrel AT LEAST.(Russia needs it at $100 per barrel).

That era is now over.

I knew GEJ govt traded oil barrel for $120 for over 6 years.This should have brought an unprecedented reserve swell.We are not even talking of the primary excess crude acct which should have risen because of the $120 sale of barrel.But I gez you knw he spent the whole eca and nothing left.If we had saved enough all these years,this won't have arosed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Spanish GB Foods Commissions $51.9M Tomato Processing Plant In Kebbi / Traders Seek ECOWAS Intervention As Ghana Shuts 400 Nigerian Businesses / Dr A.M Ali-madani Visits Buhari (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.