Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,236 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Do You Understand The Ten Commandments - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Understand The Ten Commandments (1930 Views)

20 Commandments Of Muhammad The Founder Of Islam. / The Ten Commandments In The New Testament / The Ten Commandments Of Human Relations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Egouwa(m): 11:32am On Mar 10, 2009
A better look at what the Ten commandments are saying Click here
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by KayCyrils(m): 10:54am On Mar 11, 2009
Yes, i think i do
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Charliez: 11:41am On Mar 13, 2009
In the bible perspective? yes!
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:19pm On Mar 13, 2009
This is what the decalogue is saying in a humourous way. wink

The 10 Commandments in your own language.

[list]
1. I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any other gods before me .
I'm God. Don't play me.
[/list]

[list]
2. Thou shalt not have any graven images
Don't be makin no hood ornaments and charms out of me, or like me.
[/list]
[list]
3. Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord thy God in vain
Don't be callin' me for no reason.
[/list]
[list]
4. Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy
Y'all betta be in church on Sunday, and not just the Sundays when it's Mother's day, Easter and Christmas
[/list]
[list]
5. Honour thy father and thy mother
Don't Diss or cuss out yo momma, and if you know who ya daddy is, don't Diss him neither.
[/list]
[list]
6. Thou shalt not kill
Don't be goin' on no drive bys.
[/list]
[list]
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery
Stick to ya own Boo.
[/list]
[list]
8. Thou shalt not steal
Don't be borrow'n stuff and don't give it back.
[/list]
[list]
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy brother
Don't be snitchin' on the otha' man to save your behind.
[/list]
[list]
10. Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy brother.
Don't be eyein' (skeeming) yo homie's crib, ride, woman, or nuffin.
[/list]

Do you now understand?  cool
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Viable(m): 2:07pm On Mar 15, 2009
Attn. Olaadegbu, your understanding of the Fourth commandment is wrong. REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY AND KEEP IT HOLY, Exodus 20; 8-11, there says the sabbath day is the seventh day which is saturnday and not Sunday the first day of the week.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Charliez: 12:00pm On Mar 16, 2009
Whichever! Saturday or Sunday, don't matter, just keep it holy.

1 Like

Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by KunleOshob(m): 12:17pm On Mar 16, 2009
Viable:

Attn. Olaadegbu, your understanding of the Fourth commandment is wrong. REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY AND KEEP IT HOLY, Exodus 20; 8-11, there says the sabbath day is the seventh day which is saturnday and not Sunday the first day of the week.

You are meant to keep the sabbath day by not working according to the law and not by going to church, synagogue or temple. There is NO commandment or instruction in the bible that you must worship God in church on a particular day. in short even the church's understanding of keeping sabbath day holy is WRONG.

31:12-15:
Instructions for the Sabbath
12 The Lord then gave these instructions to Moses: 13 “Tell the people of Israel: ‘Be careful to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you from generation to generation. It is given so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy. 14 You must keep the Sabbath day, for it is a holy day for you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. 15 You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day must be a Sabbath day of complete rest, a holy day dedicated to the Lord. Anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42pm On Mar 16, 2009
Sign of the Sabbath
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"It |that is, the Sabbath| is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed." (Exodus 31:17)

It is obvious from this passage that God's everlasting seven-day week was established to commemorate His first week as the unique week when He created all things.  If language means anything--especially God's language as written with His own finger on a table of stone (Exodus 31:18)--then the days of God's creation week were literal days.

Sabbath means "rest" (not "seventh"wink and God, in His omniscience, knew that men and women would need a day of rest and remembrance of Him as Creator if they were to serve Him effectively in carrying out His plan for the world.  "The sabbath |that is, the weekly day of rest| was made for man," said the Lord Jesus (Mark 2:27).

This is why the weekly day of rest and worship was to be a sign forever, and also probably why it was--for God's covenant people, Israel--a capital crime to break it.  "Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death" (Exodus 31:15).

This severe penalty may no longer apply today, but it does indicate the importance placed by God on His week of creation.  Just as the rainbow was the sign of His covenant with the world through Noah, and circumcision the sign of His covenant with the seed of Abraham, so a weekly day of worship is the sign that we still honour Him as our Creator and Saviour.  If it was needed to keep ancient Israel true to God in the midst of a world where evolutionary pantheism reigned in other nations, it is even more important today as a testimony against modern evolutionary humanism.  HMM
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by KunleOshob(m): 2:58pm On Mar 16, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

This is why the weekly day of rest and worship was to be a sign forever, and also probably why it was--for God's covenant people, Israel--a capital crime to break it. [Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death (Exodus 31:15).
Could you kindly show us a reference here were the sabbath was described as a day of woship in the scriptures.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:35pm On Mar 16, 2009
The Seventh Day
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." (Exodus 20:11)

God's word is omnipotent, and He could just as well have created an entire universe, fully populated and functioning, in an instant of time.  Instead, He chose to do it in six days, with a seventh day to be set aside as a day of rest and remembrance of His completed, "very good," creation.  Since that time, it has been the universal practice among monotheists--those who believe in one Creator God--to measure time in seven-day weeks, with one of those days observed as a day of rest and worship of the Creator.

This divine assertion was inscribed with "the finger of God" on a table of stone (Exodus 31:18), clearly settling, once and for all, the ancient question of the age of the cosmos, at least for those who really believe in the inerrant perspicuity and authority of the Holy Scriptures.  Not only did the Lord precisely equate the six days of man's work week with the six days of His own work week, He then pronounced it all "very good" and "sanctified" the seventh day (Genesis 1:31, 2:3).  This would have been an unthinkable thing for Him to say if there were, at that time, a great mile-deep graveyard, consisting of the fossil remains of dead animals from the so-called geological ages, extending all around the globe.  These fossils must all be dated as post-Eden, after human sin and God's curse brought death into the world (Romans 5:12).

Today, those who believe in God and creation should certainly continue to remember Him by observing every seventh day as a day of rest and worship, in honor of their Creator, who has now also become their Redeemer and who will soon come again to reign as eternal King.  HMM
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:50pm On Mar 16, 2009
The First Day of the Week
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight" (Acts 20:7).

Given the fact that everything about God's Word was specifically inspired by its Author, it is appropriate that this important phrase, "the first day of the week," occurs exactly eight times in the Bible. The first six of these (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1,19) all stress the fact that it was on this day that the greatest event in history (since the creation) had taken place. The creation of the universe had taken place on the first day of the week, and now its Creator had conquered sin and death itself on that day. In the Bible, of course, the number "seven" represents completeness, so "eight" represents a new beginning--a new creation, a resurrection.

The last two references tell us just how the early Christians remembered this day. Our text verse tells us this was a day on which the disciples assembled together, had a preaching service, and then "broke bread." This was not a special assembly called just for Paul, for he had already been waiting there six days (see previous verse). This was about 25 years after the resurrection itself and the Jewish believers were evidently still observing the seventh day as a rest day, but then they also observed the first day of the week as the time to commemorate the Lord's death in "breaking of bread" to celebrate His resurrection, and especially to hear the preaching of His Word. The final reference tells us one other vital thing they did: "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him" (I Corinthians 16:2). The first day of the week should always be a time of remembering Him in these joyful ways, for He is our living Lord and Saviour. HMM
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by kolaoloye(m): 5:17pm On Mar 16, 2009
@Olaadegbu
Sabbath day is SATURDAY not Sunday. Go to Israel or just ask any Israelite around.
I can also link you with one of them. Thank you.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bobbyaf(m): 6:18pm On Mar 16, 2009
Given the fact that everything about God's Word was specifically inspired by its Author, it is appropriate that this important phrase, "the first day of the week," occurs exactly eight times in the Bible. The first six of these (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1,19) all stress the fact that it was on this day that the greatest event in history (since the creation) had taken place.

So why wasn't there a command to honour the event of which you speak? The creation sabbath was given to do exactly that, that is to commemorate the act of creation, and to distinguish the ONE who created all things. You cannot extrapolate Sunday to be a day of importance because certain events happened to have occurred on it. If God didn't initiate its importance then who are we to assume such a prerogative?

The creation of the universe had taken place on the first day of the week, and now its Creator had conquered sin and death itself on that day. In the Bible, of course, the number "seven" represents completeness, so "eight" represents a new beginning--a new creation, a resurrection.

All that sounds fanciful, but there is no evidence from scripture to back it up. God's word is the final arbiter on truth and doctrine, and not yours. John in Revelation warns about adding or taking away from God's words.

The last two references tell us just how the early Christians remembered this day. Our text verse tells us this was a day on which the disciples assembled together, had a preaching service, and then "broke bread." This was not a special assembly called just for Paul, for he had already been waiting there six days (see previous verse). This was about 25 years after the resurrection itself and the Jewish believers were evidently still observing the seventh day as a rest day, but then they also observed the first day of the week as the time to commemorate the Lord's death in "breaking of bread" to celebrate His resurrection, and especially to hear the preaching of His Word.

That argument doesn't make any sense. Nowhere in that reference does Paul suggest that a new day was now appointed. The meeting was an overnight one that had already started on the sabbath. If you knew anything about how the Jews reckoned a day, you'd have known that what we call Saturday night would be called the first day of the week for them. Sunset brought on a new day for the Jews, and rightly so based on the order that God had established. St. Paul made sure to extend his departure speech which went into the night portion of the new day, which we call Sunday.

My good friend I urge you not to read into scriptures what isn't there.

The final reference tells us one other vital thing they did: "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him" (I Corinthians 16:2). The first day of the week should always be a time of remembering Him in these joyful ways, for He is our living Lord and Saviour. HMM

Lay by him in store according to the original Greek manuscript means storing up at home. Check any french bible and note how that phrase is written.

Que chacun de vous, le premier jour de la semaine, mette à part chez lui ce qu`il pourra, selon sa prospérité, afin qu`on n`attende pas mon arrivée pour recueillir les dons.

Chez lui in french means at home.

This was no church gathering as you're suggesting. This was a letter sent by Paul asking the brethren to gather alms and stuff for the poor in Jerusalem. Rather than waste time in gathering the stuff when he arrived, he suggested that the gathering should be done at home to make things that much easier.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bastage: 9:24pm On Mar 16, 2009
The 10 Commandments are irrelevant to Christians.

They were written for the nomadic Hebrew tribes when they "fled" Egypt.

"You shall have no other gods before me"

This was written because the early Hebrews were "idol! worshippers and were steeped in the trappings of other religions. Contrary to popular belief, they were not monotheistic.

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God.

This does not refer to blasphemy as many think it does. The Hebrews had no concept of blasphemy and believed that if you took the Lord's name in vain, you would be struck down by him anyway. Instead, it refers to the use of the god's name in magical practices. Using the name of YWH was seen as very powerful ju-ju.

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

For a nomadic tribe fighting their way across the Holy Land, it was imperative that they took rests. Putting a day aside for this purpose was a necessity. It was also a way of tieing the tribe together through common worship.

Honor your father and mother.

The reason for this was because the Hebrews had no concept of Heaven. They literally believed that you lived on in your children when you died. Therefore, you honoured your parents because they would one day become a part of your being.

You shall not murder.

Notice that it's "murder" and not "kill". Murder was only applicable to other members of the Hebrew tribe. Anyone else was fair game and you could take a life as long as it was not another tribe member.

You shall not commit adultery.

Women were property. You did not steal another man's property. By forbidding adultery they also got rid of one of the biggest causes of disharmony in the tribe - fighting over women.

You shall not steal.

This one is a strange one. It does not refer to stealing another man's property (that was already taken as a given). Instead it meant that you did not steal another member of the tribe's freedom. It refers to not selling another Hebrew into slavery.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

This one was a pretty important one. It refers to false witness at a legal trial. As any crime would result in either death or exile from the tribe, it was imperative that the truth be told. A lie could quite literally cost a man his life.

You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Self-explanatory. But notice that it specifically refers to "your neighbour" meaning another tribe member. Again, this was to promote harmony so that the tribe would remain strong.

Over the years, people have taken the 10 Commandments and twisted them. The translations that the churches use are nothing like those in the original Hebrew of the Old Testament. They are not the word of God handed down to Christians - they are the word of the god of the Jews and for the Jews.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:57am On Mar 17, 2009
The decalogue, as it applies to us today

THEN GOD spoke all these words:
I am the Lord your God, Who has brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
You shall have no other gods before or besides Me.

You shall not make yourself any graven image [to worship it] or any likeness of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
You shall not bow down yourself to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me,
But showing mercy and steadfast love to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commandments.

You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
[Earnestly] remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy (withdrawn from common employment and dedicated to God).
Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, your daughter, your manservant, your maidservant, your domestic animals, or the sojourner within your gates.
For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it [set it apart for His purposes].

Regard (treat with honor, due obedience, and courtesy) your father and mother, that your days may be long in the land the Lord your God gives you.
You shall not commit murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not witness falsely against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor's house, your neighbor's wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's

Exodus 20:1-17 Amplified Bible.

The Decalogue naturally falls into 2 divisions; the 1st and 2nd tables.  The first table contains the 1st to the 4th commandments while the 2nd table consists of the 5th to the 10th commandments. 

The 1st table teaches us about the personality of God and the true notions we should form of His divine nature.  It teaches us of our duty to God who is our filial relation and to love Him with a heart-felt affection that gives no room for any rivalry.  He should be the one object of our devotion and also the only object of our love.  We love Him because He first loved us.

The 2nd table teaches us about a complete system of ethics and moral duties which every man owes his neighbour, who is his fraternal relation.  Our love for fellow men acts as a 2 dimensional key that maintains good human relationship and prevents all forms of moral decadence.  This means that we will not do any ill against our fellows who we really love as ourselves (Rom.13:8-10)

Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ summarized the whole commandments into two; love towards God and love towards our neighbour.  Matt.22:37-40.

5 ways that we can personally apply the laws by faith in the new testament;

[list]
[li]#1 The law highlights our sins, while faith shows us the way out.  God's moral law brings our consciences under conviction and by faith we seek pardon, grace and salvation through Jesus Christ.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#2 The law is established through faith in Christ's substitutionary death.  When we believe in Christ we are counted as righteous through His vicarious death.  We (our old man) are baptised into His death and also buried with Him that we might be dead to sin.  Rom.6:1-19.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#3 Through faith the indwelling Christ grants us the power and inward strength to live righteously and to fulfil the letter and the spirit of the law Rom 8:2-4.  As we reckon ourselves dead to sin we also believe that we are alive to God since Jesus has risen from the dead Rom 8:10-14.  We are therefore free to choose what God would choose for us Rom. 8:2; 5:18;6:18.  [/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#4 God's love in our hearts at salvation helps us to obey God willingly and not out of constraint Rom 5:5.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#5 Through faith, the indwelling Christ writes His law on the table of our hearts as we read, meditate, confess it and pray  Heb.10:16, so that we will not be forgetful of His commandments.[/li]
[/list]

Through Moses came the law but Jesus brought grace and truth so that we can keep His commandments which is that we should believe On the name of the Son of God and that we should love one another   Matt.5:17-19;Rom.3:31;Jn.1:17;1Jn.3:23.

The Decalogue (10 commandments) is:

[list]
[li]1.  A school master pointing us to Christ.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]2.  It reveals our sins and leaves us at the point of conviction.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]3.  It is not a means of salvation but rules for guidance to measure our conformity to God's holiness and standard.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]4.  It is unalterable and remains in force today.  Matt.5:17[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]5.  It is a hedge to keep us within the bounds of sobriety and piety.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]6.  It is a reflection of what is in our consciences that tells us what is right and wrong.[/li]
[/list]
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:29am On Mar 17, 2009
Written on the first table by the finger of God:

Commandments dealing with love towards God;

[list]
[li]#1 No other gods Ex 20:3; 34:14; Ps.73:25;81:9;Isa.43:10;Matt.4:10;1John 5:21
This guards against any form of mental or internal idolatry.  Not giving anyone or anything in heaven or in earth that inward affection, worship, veneration or dependence that is due only to the true God.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#2 No graven images Ex 20:4-6; 34:12-17; Rom 1:21-24,32; 1Thess 1:9.
This guards against any form of external idolatry.  Such as when pictures or images of people are being observed as possessing divine powers and are adored, either at churches or places of pagan worship, they  become idols.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#3 Not taking God's name in vain Ex 20:7; Lev. 24:11-16; Matt.5:33-37; James 5:12
This guards against all needless, flippant, profane, blasphemous mention of God's name and word.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#4 Worship and rest on God's holy day Ex 20:8-11; Deut 5:13-15; Acts 20:7; Colossians 2:16-18.
The Christian's day of worship (1st day of the week) We are to be withdrawn from common employment and should be dedicated unto God.  Since we are not under the law but under grace I believe that all necessary work which cannot be postponed, and which could not have been done earlier such as caring for the sick, ministering in God's service and works of mercy and compassion can be done on the Lord's day Matt. 12:1-13; Luke 13:14-16.[/li]
[/list]

Written by fire on the second table of stone:

Commandments dealing with love towards our neighbours;

[list]
[li]#5 Honouring parents Ex 20:12; Prov. 1:8; Eph. 6:1-3; Colossians 3:20.
Obedience has to do with action while honour has to do with attitude, but only in the Lord.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#6 Thou shalt not commit murder Ex 20:13; 21:14; Galatians 5:19-21; 1John 3:15.
Life is a man's most prized possession and it is a great sin to deprive someone of his life.  Those who assist, support, consent to, or conceal the sin of murder are all guilty before God.  Suicide is self-murder which is a great sin, abortion is also a sin against God, against the innocent blood and against humanity.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#7 No adultery Ex 20:14; Lev. 20:10-13,17; Matt. 5:27-30; Rom 7:2,3.
This applies to all kinds of sexual immorality such as fornication, adultery, premarital sex, homosexuality, lesbianism, masturbation, uncleanness and anything that excites evil passions and lust of the flesh, such as immodest dressing, immoral speech, pornographic pictures etc.  Jesus made it clear that adultery is in the heart and occurs even before any outward act.  God is pure and He requires us to flee from all unrighteousness.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#8 Thou shalt not steal Ex 20:15; Lev. 19:11-13; Mark 7:21-23; 1Thess. 4:6.
The unjust taking and keeping to ourselves what is lawfully another's.  He is a thief who withholds what ought to be in his neighbour's possession just as much as one who takes his neighbour's property.  We should resist the spirit of selfishness and maintain the virtue of contentment.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#9 No false witness Ex. 20:16; Lev. 19:16; Deut. 19:16-20; Ephesians 4:25; Rev. 21:8.
God forbids false witness, lying, deception and giving of false testimony in court or elsewhere.  A lie consists of three elements; speaking what is not true, deliberately doing so, and doing so with intent to deceive.  A report should never be repeated until the truth is verified.  Those who maliciously invent falshood for the purpose of damaging the reputation of others are guilty of a great sin before God.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]#10 Thou shalt not covet Ex 20:17; Isaiah 57:17; Lk. 12:15; 1Tim. 6:6-11.
This commandment forbids us to covet anything that is our neighbours.  It forbids the inward desire to possess what belongs to others.  All sins begin in the heart and God condemns evil desires in the heart.[/li]
[/list]

Here we see the triune God in action;  

The Father's love, knowing of our inability to perfectly keep up to His standard, He sent the second Person in the godhead; Jesus Christ to properly interprete the law and give us grace Matt.5:17; John.3:16; Rom. 8:3,4 and the third Person in trinity; the Holy Spirit was sent by the Father and the Son to appropriate His finished work in our lives as we believe on the Son and receive His gift of eternal life, so that we can have fellowship with the Father and the Son. 1John.1:3.

14 The grace (favour and spiritual blessing) of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the presence and fellowship (the communion and sharing together, and participation) in the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen (so be it).  2Cor 13:14

As time permits I will like to elaborate on the fourth commandment in my next post but let us share how best we can be blessed by the divine revelation knowledge that you have received regarding the decalogue and its application to our daily lives today.

Shalom.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2009
The Right Perspective on the Sabbath
(Luke 14:1-6; Mark 11:27-33; 1 Peter 3:15; Isaiah 56:2; 58:13; 1 Corinthians 16:2; Acts 20:7)

Jesus Christ, who is our perfect example, showed us the right approach and meaning of the Sabbath.  He said in Mark 2:27 that "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath"

Christ showed that works that pertain to utter necessity (especially such as involve human life), mercy and the glory of God could be undertaken on such a day.  This perspective breathes into the Sabbath that essential air of love (both of God and of our fellow men) that serves divine purposes.  However, beyond a sincere and honest pursuit of these ends, it is wrong to trample on God's word in respect of the Sabbath day.  (See Isaiah 58:13; 56:2).  These scriptures condemn the practices of those who abandon themselves to pleasure-seeking, and debauchery, or engage themselves in their usual secular occupations on the Lord's day. It however permits works of essential nature that border on human life or absolute necessity.

As noted earlier, the root word translated "Sabbath" does not mean "Seventh" but "Rest".  The divine purpose of instituting the Sabbath therefore was to afford man a day in the week in which to rest from his labours and have special opportunity of worship, prayer and fellowship with God.  In the Old Testament (OT), the seventh day of the week was observed as the Sabbath.  In the New Testament (NT) however, the first day of the week was observed and was called the Lord's day (Revelation 1:10).  It was on such days that the early believers came together for special worship and fellowship (1 Corinthians 16:2; Acts 20:7).  The first day of the week acquired special significance by reason of the resurrection of Christ and the accomplishment of our salvation (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2; Luke 24:1; John 20:1).
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bastage: 3:14pm On Mar 17, 2009
That last three posts are all very nice (although cut and paste crap as usual) but they are not what the Bible says.
All of that stuff is what the churches have made up.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by KunleOshob(m): 3:22pm On Mar 17, 2009
Bastage:

That last three posts are all very nice (although cut and paste crap as usual) but they are not what the Bible says.
All of that stuff is what the churches have made up.

This is the problem with most pentecostal christians they regurgitate too much crap spewed to them by the pulpit without veirfying it for themselves as the bible says in acts17:11. People perishing for lack of knowledge.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:13pm On Mar 17, 2009
Our Weekly Day Of Rest And Worship
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day (Deuteronomy 5:15).

It is significant that God’s Ten Commandments are found twice in the Bible (Exodus 20:21–17 and Deuteronomy 5:6–21).  In fact, “Deuteronomy” means “The Second Law.” The two are worded identically, with a few exceptions.

The most significant of these changes is in connection with the reason given for obeying the fourth commandment, to keep the sabbath day.”  In Exodus, the reason given is: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day (Exodus 20:11).  Here in the second law,” the reason given is that God saved Israel out of bondage in Egypt, and now was about to enter the promised land.  In other words, when the Israelites observed each Sabbath day in rest and worship, they were acknowledging God as both their Creator and their Redeemer.

Christians also, as they devote every seventh day as a day of rest and worship, should be remembering God for His finished creation (“the heavens and the earth were finished”—Genesis 2:1) and His finished redemption (“It is finished” was Christ’s victory cry on the cross—John 19:30).

The word Sabbath means rest,” of course—not “Saturday” or “Sunday” or even “seventh” (the word for “seventh” in Hebrew is similar, but distinctly different from that for “sabbath”).  Most Christians now believe it is appropriate to honour the Lord Jesus (who is both their Creator and Redeemer) to take their seventh day of rest and worship on the first day of each week, thereby recognizing both His finished work of redemption and also His finished work of creation.  HMM
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:39pm On Mar 17, 2009
With a tender conscience, check this list of the Ten Commandments and see where you stand:

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I made a god in my own image? a god to suit myself?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I ever used God's name in vain?   ____YES  ___NO
Have I kept the Sabbath holy?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I murdered (God considers hatred as murder)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)?  ____YES  ___NO 

If you have even broken one Law, then you have sinned against God and therefore will "surely die," for the "wages of sin is death." 

We are all guilty of breaking the Commandments.  Listen to the voice of your conscience, and let it remind you of some of the sins of the past.  We are not perfect as we are commanded to be (Matthew 5:48), neither is our heart pure.  On Judgment Day our transgressions will be the evidence of our shame.  Think of it: God has seen every sin we have ever committed. We share our thought-life with Him.

We are guilty of violating His Law a multitude of times, yet if we repent, God can forgive us because Jesus stepped into the courtroom 2,000 years ago and paid the fine for us.

His death on the cross satisfied the Law we so blatantly transgressed, and at the same time demonstrated how much God loves us—"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." His shed blood on the cross can make you clean in the sight of a holy God, as though you have never sinned.

God doesn't want you to go to Hell.  Please, forget your arguments, repent and put your trust in Jesus and be saved from God's wrath.  Make Psalm 51 your prayer, then read your Bible daily and always obey what you read; God will never let you down.  Thank you for taking the time to read this message and may God bless you as you take the right decision that will positively determine your destiny.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bastage: 5:20pm On Mar 17, 2009
Please, forget your arguments, repent and put your trust in Jesus and be saved from God's wrath. Make Psalm 51 your prayer, then read your Bible daily and always obey what you read

Great. Permission to rape, pillage and murder then as that's what I read in the Old Testament.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bobbyaf(m): 8:45am On Mar 18, 2009
And since I was taught to be brief and concise I am still advocating that God had no reason to change His day of rest which points to His creative, and redemptive acts.

Neither Christ, nor any of His disciples advocated a change from the original seventh-day sabbath to Sunday. Of the 8 or so NT references to the first day of the week, not one has remotely suggested, that there has been a change.

Since Christ in all actuality was the embodiment of the establishment of the New Covenant wouldn't He have mentioned a change to have taken place before His death? By necessity any changes that were to have taken place under the New Covenant had to have taken place prior to Christ's death. That being the case then Christ would have ratified such a change with words before His blood sealed the covenant when we stop to think that no changes could have occurred after His death according to Paul in Hebrews.

In fact didn't He suggest to His disciples to pray that their flight from Roman besiege be neither in winter, nor on the sabbath? Why the concern for a day some 40 years to come? If according to the Sunday advocates that Sunday gradually replaced the original day of rest as a means of commemorating the resurrection, then why wasn't it spoken of more clearly and specifically?

Roman seige and final destruction of Jerusalem took place 40 years after Christ spoke those words. If Christ had anticipated a change, then why didn't He make mention?

In fact right through the NT more evidence is there to support the continuance of sabbath observance, and loyalty to God's 10 commandments.

Allow me to clarify the attempt of association between why God gave Israel the sabbath, and their deliverance from Egypt as often quoted as the most plausible reason for handing them the sabbath in the wilderness. If those of you were honest enough to realize that it was not unusual for God to hark back to the Egyptian deliverance as an incentive to obey other commandments, then you would have been less keen on using such an argument.

In Deuteronomy 24:17, 18, God said, "Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge. , Thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the Lord thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing."

Neither the command to be just, nor to keep the Sabbath was given to memorialize the Exodus, but God told them that His goodness in bringing them out of captivity constituted a strong additional reason for their dealing kindly with their servants on the Sabbath and treating justly the strangers and widows.

So any attempt to affix a central motif for God to have given them the sabbath command spells intellectual dishonesty, if equal weight is not given to the most important reasons as recorded in Exudus 20:8-11.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:47pm On Mar 18, 2009
Can the 10 commandments get any clearer than these?

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/goodperson.shtml
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bobbyaf(m): 4:36pm On Mar 18, 2009
I appreciate the concept of the videographic argument that we are saved by grace alone, because that is what the bible teaches, but what I disagree with is the notion that grace forfeits obedience to God's requirements.

I personally do not push righteousness by works, or law. What I personally believe is that when a person experiences the grace of Christ it empowers them to be obedient. So the presenters have taken a different angle, while I have taken another.

For example all Christians uphold the law against adultery, otherwise your wife would become easy picking for other men in church, wouldn't she? If accepting God's grace meant overlooking stealing, murder, bearing false witness, etc, then that would not be grace at all, because grace doesn't give anyone the liscense to sin.

Listen to St. Paul as he sheds light on the subject of faith and law.

Romans 7:7 says, "7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."

"8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead."

In other words there can be no sin without a law to reveal it for what it is, but the problem lies not with the law, but sin itself.

, "9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

The question is what did Paul die to as a result of the knowledge of right from wrong? He died to sin, because we cannot die to sin unless we sense its sinfulness, and only Jesus is capable of providing that awareness in us through His Holy Spirit.

To prove my argument that Paul saw the importance of the purpose of the 10 commandments is seen in his next quote, "12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good."

In other words they bear the very attributes of God's character in that they are good, holy, and just. attempting to isolate them doesn't help the situation, but I suspect the real issue rests with the sabbath.

The Roman Catholic church has gotten the majority of Christians to neglect one of God's requirements using the so-called abolishment of God's eternal law as as their excuse.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:42am On Mar 19, 2009
I would like to address the issue of the Law of God which cannot be broken.  The 10 commandments that God legislated for His people consisted of 9 moral laws and the 4th was partially a ceremonial law. 

The decalogue was a contract between God and the Israelites and below are 9 reasons the 4th commandment was left out in the new covenant[list]

[list]
[li]1. Neither the Father nor the Son made it a part of the new covenant.  If they had it  would be somewhere in new testament as the other 9 are.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]2. Of all the words of Jesus on earth only 4 references are made of the sabbath Matt 12:8; 24:20; Mark 2:27-28; Lk.6:5.  Jesus Christ merely taught that it was lawful to do good  on this day and that no day is lord of man.  He did not once command any particular observance of any definite day.  The disciples chose the 1st day of the week because that was the day that Jesus resurrected, manifested himself to them and  the out pouring of the Holy Spirit upon them consecutively.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]3. The old Jewish sabbath was part of the contract between God and Israel and a token and sign of that covenant Ex.20:8-11; 31:13-18; Ezek.20:12-20.  The contract was not made with men before Moses Deut.5:2-3 , or with Gentiles and the church Rom.2:14; Deut.4:7-10.  The sabbath was not for them.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]4. The 4th commandment was the only one of the ten that was a ceremonial, not a moral law.  It's sole purpose was to commemorate the deliverance from Egyptian bondage when Israel had no rest Deut.5:15.  It was only a type of future and eternal rest Col.2:14-17; Heb.4:1-11; 10:1.  It was natural for it to be left out of the new contract when the reality of rest came of which it was a shadow Matt.11:28-29; Col.2:14-17.  The physical and spiritual benefits of a rest day can be realised on any other day as well as on Saturday but Sunday had been chosen by the apostles for the reasons I mentioned above.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]5. The 4th commandment was the only one that could degenerate into a mere form without affecting the morals of men.  All others concern the moral obligations of men.  It is the only one of the ten that can be done away with and still leave a moral law for men.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]6. God foretold and  promised that he would do away with the old Jewish sabbath Hos. 2:11; Isa.1:10-15.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]7. The prophets predicted that God would abolish the old and make new covenant Isa.42:6; 49:8; 59:21; Jer.31:31-40; 32:37-44; Ezek.36:24-38.  That this referred to the new testament is clear in Rom.11:25-29; Heb.8:8-12; 10:16-18; Matt.26:28.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]8. It is the only commandment that could be and has been broken without breaking a moral law.  Israel marched on that day[b] Num.33:3; Lev.23:5-11; Josh.6:12-16;[/b]  they set up the tabernacle Ex.40:1,17 with Lev.23:5-11; They searched Canaan Num.13:25; and made war 1Kings.20:29; 2Kings 3:9; Josh.6:12-16 .  David and others broke it and were blameless Matt.12:2-5.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]9. The new testament permits Christians to keep any day as the sabbath, it being one of the doubtful things not covered by the commandment in the new covenant Rom.14:1-13; Gal.4:9-11; Col.2:14-17;  The day early Christians observed, not by commandment but by choice, was the first day, Sunday Jn.20:1,19; 20:7; 1Cor.16:2; Acts 20:7. as stated above.[/li]
[/list] 

Therefore, God who legislated to His people and then properly interpreting how the law applies to us today that the moral law remains unaltered but the ceremonial law is to be abrogated.  For the Son of Man is the Lord of sabbath so that we might enter into His rest which signifies the present spiritual rest and deliverance from the rigours of sin and satanic bondage Matt.11:28,29.  By virtue of Christ's death and resurrection, believers can enjoy a moment-by-moment Sabbath everyday of their lives.  Another significance is that it portrays a future eternal rest in our final home in heaven Heb.4:9

After the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ from the dead, the Old Jewish Sabbath gave way to the Lord's Day which is Sunday as a day of rest and worship for New testament believers Matt.28:1; Jn.20:1,19,26; Acts 20:7;1Cor.16:2; Rev.1:10.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bobbyaf(m): 6:45am On Mar 19, 2009
I would like to address the issue of the Law of God which cannot be broken. The 10 commandments that God legislated for His people consisted of 9 moral laws and the 4th was partially a ceremonial law.

The 4th commandment was never ceremonial in nature since it was meant to be eternal. If the whole law of 10 was meant to be eternal, then how can one of its tenets be ceremonial?

Listen to what Isaiah said of the sabbath, "22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD."

The sabbath was made for man (mankind) from the very beginning according to Jesus, "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath, " Mark 2:27

Who was the first man? Adam of course! Is it any wonder that God from the very beginning sanctified the day for the first family? It would be ridiculous for God to have sanctified a day, and made it holy, at that moment in time, and then passed on that sanctity some 3000 years after creation. So in other words, the purpose of the sabbath of commemorating God's act of creation was put on hold for the first family. They, it seemed had no part, or parcel in being active participants of such a commemoration. How ridiculous!

The decalogue was a contract between God and the Israelites and below are 9 reasons the 4th commandment was left out in the new covenant

The decalogue was not the contract. It was the basis of the contract. Without it there could have been no contract, period.

o 1. Neither the Father nor the Son made it a part of the new covenant. If they had it would be somewhere in new testament as the other 9 are.

Unless of course you're not aware that the sabbath was still being kept by God's people in the NT. Let me share some instances where it was kept.

Jesus our example took part in sabbath services- "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16.

Paul who is often quoted as introducing Sunday did the very opposite - "And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures." Acts 17:2

"And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13.

"And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

Apostles taught it:
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath." "And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God." Acts 13:42, 44, emphasis added.

"And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

Now you show me instances where Paul met on Sundays to teach the people, whether they were gentiles, or Jewish converts to Christianity, as I have shown you above, that the sabbath was still regarded as a holy day for all, and not just the Jews. Remember I told you what Jesus suggested to His disciples before the AD70 Jerusalem destruction in Matthew 24. He suggested that they pray that their journey or flight wouldn't be on the sabbath, or during winter. Now if Jesus anticipated that Sunday would have been introduced as a basis for the New Covenant, then why in heaven's name would He show concern for the sabbath, some 40 years after He spoke those words to them? I am all ears bro!

o 2. Of all the words of Jesus on earth only 4 references are made of the sabbath Matt 12:8; 24:20; Mark 2:27-28; Lk.6:5. Jesus Christ merely taught that it was lawful to do good on this day and that no day is lord of man.

That is not we are called to prove. Unless of course you haven't grasped the reasons why He had to say those things about the sabbath. The Jewish leaders had adapted a-saved-by-works approach to the law, and that also reflected on how they viewed the sabbath. They had a twisted view of it, and not even Christ's acts of good on such a day inspired them to change their view. The fact that Christ spoke the way He did, doesn't in any way reflect negatively on its purpose. If anything He demonstrated how the day should be kept.

He did not once command any particular observance of any definite day.

He never had to! There was already one established day that He Himself kept as a custom. (see Luke 4:16)

The disciples chose the 1st day of the week because that was the day that Jesus resurrected, manifested himself to them and the out pouring of the Holy Spirit upon them consecutively.

And still you're never able to show that reality from scriptures. Until you're able to do it honestly, then save yourself the agony. Besides, important events in and of themselves cannot make a day holy, unless God gives a distinct instruction to do so. There has been only one case on the matter, and that was when He sanctified the 7th-day sabbath.

o 3. The old Jewish sabbath was part of the contract between God and Israel and a token and sign of that covenant Ex.20:8-11; 31:13-18; Ezek.20:12-20.

The 7th-day sabbath is not a Jewish institution. It pre-dated the Hebrew people. Remember it was made for mankind according to Jesus in Mark 2:27. Concerning the covenant, if the law was the basis of the covenant, then the sabbath command, being apart of the 10, is also tied into the same covenant.

The contract was not made with men before Moses Deut.5:2-3 , or with Gentiles and the church Rom.2:14; Deut.4:7-10. The sabbath was not for them.

There were different types of covenants before the Mosaic one. How do you explain what was said about Abraham that , "5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." Genesis 26:5

So, if Abraham preceded Moses, and kept what Moses passed on to the children of Israel, then obviously your understanding of Deuteronomy 5:2-3 is twisted. Was Abraham a forefather to Moses? You bet he was. What Moses was saying, which has evaded you, was that that particular experience under which He delivered the covenant was far different than any other had seen or experienced.

o 4. The 4th commandment was the only one of the ten that was a ceremonial, not a moral law. It's sole purpose was to commemorate the deliverance from Egyptian bondage when Israel had no rest Deut.5:15.

Didn't I explain this to you earlier? You either seem to have short memory, or you are in denial of truth. There are two reasons why God re-introduced the sabbath, yes re-introduced. Exudus 16 proves that reality. For some strange reason you seem to harp on a phrase that you simply do not understand. How would you explain this:

In Deuteronomy 24:17, 18, God said, "Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge. , Thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the Lord thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing." Here God gives another reason that acts as a reminder that He God removed them from bondage. Neither the command to be just, nor to keep the Sabbath was given to memorialize the Exodus, but God told them that His goodness in bringing them out of captivity constituted a strong additional reason for their dealing kindly with their servants on the Sabbath and treating justly the strangers and widows.

So any attempt to affix a central motif for God to have given them the sabbath command spells intellectual dishonesty, if equal weight is not given to the most important reasons as recorded in Exudus 20:8-11.

It was only a type of future and eternal rest Col.2:14-17; Heb.4:1-11; 10:1. It was natural for it to be left out of the new contract when the reality of rest came of which it was a shadow Matt.11:28-29; Col.2:14-17. The physical and spiritual benefits of a rest day can be realised on any other day as well as on Saturday but Sunday had been chosen by the apostles for the reasons I mentioned above.

The sabbath preceded sin, and cannot be seen as a shadow, or ceremonial. Both institutions of marriage and the sabbath, were handed down to mankind before sin. The law of ceremonies began with Cain and Abel when both were instructed to sacrifice a burnt offering as a representation of the lamb of God. Moses simply revised it after God's people were delivered. Col. 2:14-17 simply spoke of the ceremonial sabbaths which were many. Those had nothing to do with the creation sabbath.

o 5. The 4th commandment was the only one that could degenerate into a mere form without affecting the morals of men. All others concern the moral obligations of men. It is the only one of the ten that can be done away with and still leave a moral law for men.

So if there was no moral obligation to keep it then why was it commanded to be kept holy? We might as well argue the case of the forbidden fruit in the garden. There wasn't anything wrong with the fruit was there? What went wrong was that they disobeyed. Can the sabbath command be disobeyed? grin Isn't it immoral to disobey God?

o 6. God foretold and promised that he would do away with the old Jewish sabbath Hos. 2:11; Isa.1:10-15.

And isn't it strange how Isaiah predicted that it would be kept in the earth made new? (see Isaiah. 60:22,23)

o 7. The prophets predicted that God would abolish the old and make new covenant Isa.42:6; 49:8; 59:21; Jer.31:31-40; 32:37-44; Ezek.36:24-38. That this referred to the new testament is clear in Rom.11:25-29; Heb.8:8-12; 10:16-18; Matt.26:28.

The only difference is that we have written in our hearts God's perfect law, and God's Holy Spirit to empower us to do that which is right. (see Jeremiah 31)

Jesus Himself promised that until heaven and earth pass, not one title or jot shall pass from the law. Has heaven and earth already passed? When last have you taken a look towards heaven? grin (see Matthew 5:16-17)

The rest of your responses I will ignore for lack of newness.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by huxley(m): 9:31am On Mar 19, 2009
Bobbyaf:

The 4th commandment was never ceremonial in nature since it was meant to be eternal. If the whole law of 10 was meant to be eternal, then how can one of its tenets be ceremonial?

Listen to what Isaiah said of the sabbath, "22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD."

The sabbath was made for man (mankind) from the very beginning according to Jesus, "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath, " Mark 2:27

Who was the first man? Adam of course! Is it any wonder that God from the very beginning sanctified the day for the first family? It would be ridiculous for God to have sanctified a day, and made it holy, at that moment in time, and then passed on that sanctity some 3000 years after creation. So in other words, the purpose of the sabbath of commemorating God's act of creation was put on hold for the first family. They, it seemed had no part, or parcel in being active participants of such a commemoration. How ridiculous!

The decalogue was not the contract. It was the basis of the contract. Without it there could have been no contract, period.

Unless of course you're not aware that the sabbath was still being kept by God's people in the NT. Let me share some instances where it was kept.

Jesus our example took part in sabbath services- "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16.

Paul who is often quoted as introducing Sunday did the very opposite - "And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures." Acts 17:2

"And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13.

"And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

Apostles taught it:
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath." "And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God." Acts 13:42, 44, emphasis added.

"And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

Now you show me instances where Paul met on Sundays to teach the people, whether they were gentiles, or Jewish converts to Christianity, as I have shown you above, that the sabbath was still regarded as a holy day for all, and not just the Jews. Remember I told you what Jesus suggested to His disciples before the AD70 Jerusalem destruction in Matthew 24. He suggested that they pray that their journey or flight wouldn't be on the sabbath, or during winter. Now if Jesus anticipated that Sunday would have been introduced as a basis for the New Covenant, then why in heaven's name would He show concern for the sabbath, some 40 years after He spoke those words to them? I am all ears bro!

That is not we are called to prove. Unless of course you haven't grasped the reasons why He had to say those things about the sabbath. The Jewish leaders had adapted a-saved-by-works approach to the law, and that also reflected on how they viewed the sabbath. They had a twisted view of it, and not even Christ's acts of good on such a day inspired them to change their view. The fact that Christ spoke the way He did, doesn't in any way reflect negatively on its purpose. If anything He demonstrated how the day should be kept.

He never had to! There was already one established day that He Himself kept as a custom. (see Luke 4:16)

And still you're never able to show that reality from scriptures. Until you're able to do it honestly, then save yourself the agony. Besides, important events in and of themselves cannot make a day holy, unless God gives a distinct instruction to do so. There has been only one case on the matter, and that was when He sanctified the 7th-day sabbath.

The 7th-day sabbath is not a Jewish institution. It pre-dated the Hebrew people. Remember it was made for mankind according to Jesus in Mark 2:27. Concerning the covenant, if the law was the basis of the covenant, then the sabbath command, being apart of the 10, is also tied into the same covenant.

There were different types of covenants before the Mosaic one. How do you explain what was said about Abraham that , "5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." Genesis 26:5

So, if Abraham preceded Moses, and kept what Moses passed on to the children of Israel, then obviously your understanding of Deuteronomy 5:2-3 is twisted. Was Abraham a forefather to Moses? You bet he was. What Moses was saying, which has evaded you, was that that particular experience under which He delivered the covenant was far different than any other had seen or experienced.

Didn't I explain this to you earlier? You either seem to have short memory, or you are in denial of truth. There are two reasons why God re-introduced the sabbath, yes re-introduced. Exudus 16 proves that reality. For some strange reason you seem to harp on a phrase that you simply do not understand. How would you explain this:

In Deuteronomy 24:17, 18, God said, "Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge. , Thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the Lord thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing." Here God gives another reason that acts as a reminder that He God removed them from bondage. Neither the command to be just, nor to keep the Sabbath was given to memorialize the Exodus, but God told them that His goodness in bringing them out of captivity constituted a strong additional reason for their dealing kindly with their servants on the Sabbath and treating justly the strangers and widows.

The sabbath preceded sin, and cannot be seen as a shadow, or ceremonial. Both institutions of marriage and the sabbath, were handed down to mankind before sin. The law of ceremonies began with Cain and Abel when both were instructed to sacrifice a burnt offering as a representation of the lamb of God. Moses simply revised it after God's people were delivered. Col. 2:14-17 simply spoke of the ceremonial sabbaths which were many. Those had nothing to do with the creation sabbath.

So if there was no moral obligation to keep it then why was it commanded to be kept holy? We might as well argue the case of the forbidden fruit in the garden. There wasn't anything wrong with the fruit was there? What went wrong was that they disobeyed. Can the sabbath command be disobeyed? grin Isn't it immoral to disobey God?

And isn't it strange how Isaiah predicted that it would be kept in the earth made new? (see Isaiah. 60:22,23)

The only difference is that we have written in our hearts God's perfect law, and God's Holy Spirit to empower us to do that which is right. (see Jeremiah 31)

Jesus Himself promised that until heaven and earth pass, not one title or jot shall pass from the law. Has heaven and earth already passed? When last have you taken a look towards heaven? grin (see Matthew 5:16-17)

The rest of your responses I will ignore for lack of newness.

Why are you not discussing the commandments given in Exodus 34, which afterall are the replacements of those in Exodus 20. It amounts to intellectual dishonesty to refuse to address this fact and bury your head in the cesspit of the bible, leaving your stinking bible arse out in the air infecting the public. These are the commandments you should be addressing:

1. Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).

2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.

4. All the first-born are mine.

5. Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.

6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.

8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.

9. The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.

10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.

Address them!!
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by NadiaOk: 9:44am On Mar 19, 2009
Nigeria should be ashamed of itself. What ever happened to human rights and the freedom of choice and expression? Nigerian government wants to rule the hearts and minds of its citizens and this amounts to oppression for their large lgbtq community and heterosexuals. We’ve just seen the reemergence of Hitler’s Nazism in Nigeria and the UK, US and all self-respectable countries should cut off all aid and trade with Nigeria. How backwards! I know plenty of Nigerian gays and lesbians, people who work hard to make a living against that oppressive government. It will come to the point when the Anglican church is giving men, women, and children machetes to kill homosexuals, GENOCIDE! But they don’t know they will be killing their own children and parents. That is the break down of family values, what the church is doing, and if the pope were any God-fearing man he would educate himself and condemn Nigeria, too. As an English professor who understands the necessity of people to think and associate freely, I truly hope the world leaves Nigeria to live in its own squalor.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bastage: 11:18am On Mar 19, 2009
Why are you not discussing the commandments given in Exodus 34, which afterall are the replacements of those in Exodus 20.

He's not discussing them simply because he can't find anything to copy and paste about them.

You should know by now that OLAADEGBU is way too brainwashed and way too dumb to be able to use his own thoughts and write his own words in reply to anyone. When was the last time you saw him write more than a sentence on his own?

He's the Copy and Paste Clown of nairaland.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by Bobbyaf(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2009
Why are you not discussing the commandments given in Exodus 34, which afterall are the replacements of those in Exodus 20.

Who or what told you that they were a replacement?

It amounts to intellectual dishonesty to refuse to address this fact and bury your head in the cesspit of the bible, leaving your stinking bible arse out in the air infecting the public. These are the commandments you should be addressing:

Says who! By the way why are you so hot tempered and ill-mannered and at the same time concerned? Your insults and disrespect betray your ulterior motives.
Re: Do You Understand The Ten Commandments by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:28pm On Mar 19, 2009
@Bobbyaf,

I am satisfied with the fact that your church (The Seventh Day Adventists) teaches and believes the orthodox biblical teaching concerning the Trinity, the deity and incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ, including His virgin birth, the Lord's bodily resurrection and ascension to heaven, and the prospect of His personal return to earth in glory. The sinfulness of human nature, salvation through faith in Christ alone and the necessity of the new birth which are all confirmed by you guys. These are the fundamental issues that will determine our destinies. Hence, I extend my hand of friendship and brotherhood to you, we are brothers and sisters in Christ as we look forward to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in glory. Nevertheless, I still think we should endeavour to study the whole truth and abide by it even when others are compromising with the evolutionist atheists. It was Adrian Rogers that said "It is better to be divided in truth than to be united in error, it is better to speak truth that hurts and then heals than to speak a lie; it is better to be hated for telling the truth than to be loved for telling a lie; it is better to stand alone with truth than to be wrong with the multitude . . . The religion of today is 'get-along-ism.' It is time for men and women of God to stand,[even] if they have to stand alone."

However, we still differ on some teachings which I believe you have deviated from such as your teaching on the seventh-day sabbath, conditional immortality, investigative judgment, the heavenly sanctuary and the claim that Ellen White was a divinely appointed messenger of God.

It seems to me that you are making the same mistakes that the Galatian Christians whom Paul rebuked in Galatians 3:1-5 who were reverting back to the law instead of being led by the Spirit. Paul's warning and pronouncement in Gal.1:6-9 should be heeded. This is similar to the errors of the RCC who are now adding works and tradition to their faith so as to be saved, we are saved by faith alone, not plus works , and as you have rightly said earlier, that 'works' is only a product of our faith in Christ. It seems that you have taken the gospel according to Ellen White who claimed that she saw a vision of the ark and the 10 commandments in heaven, and the 4th commandment with a halo around it and she interpreted this as being that Christians are not keeping this law. You take her word as the word of God and this may explain why you keep insisting on the keeping the Jewish Sabbath law. You must have forgotten or not taken notice that she was convinced that the prediction of your founder William Miller, that Christ's return was imminent to take place in 10 October 1843 and that He would set up His kingdom in America was the accurate prediction, she was again proved to be wrong. The following morning of this 'great disappointment' is the time she now saw this supposed vision that you are now running with, trying to use the scriptures to justify her vision.

My sincere appeal to you and your members is to watch and pray so that you will not fall into the same trap that the RCC have fallen into who are now praying to the dead, a thing that the Lord has forbidden in His commandment. Paul said "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." One of the signs that a Christian church is heading towards being a cult is when they isolate themselves thinking that they are the only ones keeping the commandments of God. The Lord says "Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." Rev. 2:5. For these reasons, let us put our argument aside and reach out to the lost who are groping in darkness, who Satan has blinded their minds from seeing the blessings of the gospel truth that has replaced the shadows and ceremonies of the old covenant.

As for the rest especially Bastage, huxley and KunleOshob, it will do you a lot good if you can take the time to watch the videoclips posted and reflect on where you will spend your eternity. May the Lord give you eyes that can see and ears that can hear and hearts that will perceive the light of the glorious gospel and that the daystar will appear in your hearts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Religion Without Righteousness Is What ? / Mohammed Or Jesus or African gods? / What Do You Understand By Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 291
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.