Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,906 members, 7,828,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ (2284 Views)

Expect Improved Power Supply In 2017 – Fashola / Improved Power Supply Is Not Sustainable, Electricity Employees Explain / ‘ Why There Is Improved Power Supply’ - Acting MD YEDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Kcinho(m): 8:21am On Jul 16, 2015
Nigerians seemed to have witnessed
improvement in power supply in the
last few weeks . The said increase in
available generation from 4 , 517
megawatts ( mw ) to 4 ,545 mw within
two weeks as announced by the
Transmission Company of Nigeria
( TCN ) , may have further confirmed
that the Nigerian Electricity Supply
Industry ( NESI) is developing .

The reason for the noticeable
relative stability in supply is
attributable to improvements across
the electricity supply value chain,
which include gas supply , reduced
vandalism and upgrade of generation
facilities by the new investors .
Pipeline vandalism, which has been a
major challenge to increased output
from the power plants , it was
gathered , has reduced drastically
since President Muhammadu Buhari’ s
administration came on board about
one and half months ago . The
frequency of pipelines vandalisation
has reduced significantly , The Nation
learnt .

The Nigerian National Petroleum
Corporation (NNPC ) Joint Venture
companies also confirmed that there
have not been any incidents of
vandalisation of pipelines in the past
one month . This has resulted in
increased and sustainable gas supply
to the power sector .

Besides , the result of investments
made by the privatised successor
companies , which unbundled the
Power Holding Company of Nigeria
( PHCN), has started to manifest
after one and half years the
companies were handed over to them.
For instance , Egbin Power Plc and
Transcorp Ughelli Power Limited have
added more than 1000 megawatts
( mw) to the capacities they inherited
at the time of handover .

As at the beginning of this week ,
generation from Egbin power plant
rose from 1000 mw two weeks ago to
1016 MW as against a maximum
output of 500 MW at handover .
Sahara Power Group and Korea
Electric Power Corporation ( KEPCO) ,
owners of Egbin power plant and
Ikeja Electricity Distribution
Company confirmed that gas supply
to the plant increased considerably.

They said the improvement in
generation was also due to continued
investment and upgrade activities on
the plant . They assured that the
improvement in supply will not only
be sustained , but improved upon
adding of the six turbines of the
power plant that are currently
operational . “ This is the first time
the plant with installed capacity
1320 mw is generating above
1000 mw, ” the firm said .

Egbin’ s Chief Executive Officer, Dallas
Peavey said about N 50 billion has
been invested in the power company
post - privatisation with continuing
investment in new technology ,
innovativeness , professionalism and
human capital development .

The owners of Transcorp Ughelli
Power Limited just announced that it
has increased output from the asset
from 160 MW on takeover on
November 1 , 2013 to 635 MW and
plans to expand it to 2 ,200 MW in the
next three years .

The Group Executive Director, Gas
and Power , NNPC , Dr David Ige said
the Corporation is making a lot of
progress in the East - West gas
pipelines . According to him , as at
the end of May, the Corporation
was supplying over one billion
standard cubic feet per day ( I bscf/
d ) of gas to the power sector ,
adding that by now the production
could have risen significantly .
Ige , however, noted that the
Corporation ’ s expectations is that it
will make significant increase in
supply by the end of the year ,
adding that cumulative production
for domestic use is about two bscf /
d .
He also said some of the available
gas is stranded because some power
plants are not ready and where
possible , the stranded gas will be
redirected to operational plants .

“ Over the next couple of months ,
Nigerians will see increase in gas
supply and power . For example , we
have gas at Gbarain- Ubie power
plant ; we have gas at Omoku , which
is awaiting the power plant and we
have gas at Egbema power plant .
When you bring all these gas volumes
together , we have close to 2 bcf /d ,
but not all of these are in active
generation today . It is either the
power plant is not ready or the
power evacuation is not ready.

“ On the western side of Nigeria , the
Lagos pipeline is almost completed .
We have completed and commissioned
Lagos to Oben ; completed Emure to
Itoki and the line from the Benin
end to Emure is progressing very
well . The expectation is that before
the end of August , the Escravos -
Lagos Pipeline would have been
completed . With all these on stream
power supply will improve
considerably ,” he said .

thenationonlineng.net/new/improved-power-supply-likely-to-be-sustained/

cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by feldido(m): 8:24am On Jul 16, 2015
I pray... So we saw last year till everything dwindled in few weeks.
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by kamair237(m): 8:25am On Jul 16, 2015
all tanx to the policies implemented by PMB.....

5 Likes

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by jimi4us: 8:26am On Jul 16, 2015
taaar we experience dis every year. let's wait until dry season. this is that time of the year water over flows in our dams.

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by iliyande(m): 8:30am On Jul 16, 2015
Which improvement? Our area is worse. Unlike before the change, we now see light for 20 minutes a week. My 100units of electricity purchased since March is still there looking at me and I will pay the service charge of 750. cry angry

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Kcinho(m): 8:30am On Jul 16, 2015
jimi4us:
taaar we experience dis every year. let's wait until dry season. this is that time of the year water over flows in our dams.
You no like better thing o
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by capip120(m): 8:32am On Jul 16, 2015
which improvement are they talking about? You mean the light they snap like say Na cameraman flash light for suleja where I dey? These guys can lie.
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by maverickdude(m): 8:33am On Jul 16, 2015
for some area...they shud av specify
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by cornoil(m): 8:34am On Jul 16, 2015
Lols, this raining season my bro, not any implemented policies. Na so every raining season dey be. Though we are still waiting for PMB policies and we still want to have hope that the true change will come soon
kamair237:
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Kcinho(m): 8:34am On Jul 16, 2015
capip120:
which improvement are they talking about? You mean the light they snap like say Na cameraman flash light for suleja where I dey? These guys can lie.
No improvement yet?
Many areas have noticed improvement finally.
You sure say u no go consider relocating
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by cornoil(m): 8:35am On Jul 16, 2015
No be so, light improve during rainin season every year.
Kcinho:

You no like better thing o
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Kcinho(m): 8:40am On Jul 16, 2015
cornoil:
No be so, light improve during rainin season every year.
for sure.
But let's hope it's not usual propaganda cos I no like that word "likely ".
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by kodded(m): 8:41am On Jul 16, 2015
kamair237:
sarcasm cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by temitemi1(m): 8:46am On Jul 16, 2015
Let dry season be the judge.
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Mogidi: 8:54am On Jul 16, 2015
In years to come we would continue to enjoy dividends of GEJs Transformation agenda.

3 Likes

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by dyabman(m): 8:55am On Jul 16, 2015
Mogidi:
In years to come we would continue to enjoy dividends of GEJs Transformation agenda.

What about Yar'dua's agenda on this same light ?

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by badttrader(m): 8:56am On Jul 16, 2015
Hmmm....
I am always surprised when people complain of erratic power supply.

There's been a tremendous improvement in my area since May 29. I asked around and most people in Lagos said same. Even a friend in a remote town in Ogun state is of the same opinion.
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Mogidi: 8:59am On Jul 16, 2015
dyabman:

What about Yar'dua's agenda on this same light ?

Read the article and you'd know why our electricity improved.
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by neolboy(m): 9:03am On Jul 16, 2015
I pray
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by badttrader(m): 9:04am On Jul 16, 2015
temitemi1:
Let dry season be the judge.

I personally don't think its about dry or rainy season. Nigeria has just two Hydro-electric power plants - kainji and shiroro. Every other power plant is powered by gas.

So its more about reduced pipeline vandalism hence increased gas supply to the power plants.

2 Likes

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by PassingShot(m): 9:04am On Jul 16, 2015
Reading
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by PassingShot(m): 9:10am On Jul 16, 2015
This good news is largely as a result of FG granting of loans to the gas suppliers to supply needed gas to power the transmission plants.

The granting of the N6.9bn loan on June 14, 2015 was the first time in the history of Nigeria such intervention was embarked upon by the FG and it's the main reason behind the improvement. Read it here http://www.equities.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=newsdetail&id=331962

I doubt that if GEJ was in charge, such step would have been allowed to succeed.

3 Likes

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Kcinho(m): 9:22am On Jul 16, 2015
PassingShot:
This good news is largely as a result of FG granting of loans to the gas suppliers to supply needed gas to power the transmission plants.

The granting of the N6.9bn loan on June 14, 2015 was the first time in the history of Nigeria such intervention was embarked upon by the FG and it's the main reason behind the improvement. Read it here http://www.equities.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=newsdetail&id=331962

I doubt that if GEJ was in charge, such step would have been allowed to succeed.
They basically said reduction in vandalism.
I guess if vandalism continues the loans won't matter to an extent
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by PassingShot(m): 9:31am On Jul 16, 2015
Kcinho:

They equally mentioned the increase in supply of gas. I guess if there was no gas, absence of vandalism won't help as well. After all, there has not been gas to power all this while.

3 Likes

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by PassingShot(m): 9:40am On Jul 16, 2015
Kcinho:

They clearly mentioned increase in gas supply as well. I also guess if there was no gas to power, absence of vandalism won't matter as well.

2 Likes

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by kamair237(m): 10:00am On Jul 16, 2015
cornoil:
Lols, this raining season my bro, not any implemented policies. Na so every raining season dey be. Though we are still waiting for PMB policies and we still want to have hope that the true change will come soon
Soo u thing.... are they using hydro power to generate electricity or Gas.... Don't u know that d availability of electricity to certain parts/portions of the country is greatly influence by government policies thru rationing Man there is electricity now cus of Policies implemented by PMB deny it all I care...

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by kamair237(m): 10:01am On Jul 16, 2015
kodded:
sarcasm cheesy cheesy cheesy
Try harder...
Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 16, 2015
[quote author=jimi4us post=35917545]taaar we experience dis every year. let's wait until dry season. this is that time of the year water over flows in our dams. [/quot

Generally , it has not rained much dis year.

most importantly, in many areas in Enugu, we have 23 hours power supply everyday. This happened last in 2002/2003......Indeed this is a massive improvement, All thanks to GEJ.

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by kodded(m): 10:26am On Jul 16, 2015
kamair237:
Try harder...
oh! Really ?!

Tell me one policy buhari made concerning power

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by double0seven(m): 10:36am On Jul 16, 2015
The article majorly attributed the biggest reason foe the improvement in reduction of vandalism.

In fact, at a point, the article says : " The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC ) Joint Venture companies also confirmed that there have not been any incidents of vandalisation of pipelines in the past one month . This has resulted in increased and sustainable gas supply to the power sector ."

The question now is why has the vandalism suddenly stopped. It would appear the so much publicised vandalism of our pipelines are State-Assisted vandalism. Delibarate sabotage so that some people will continue to profit from lack of power supply through the importation of generators and selling of diesel.

Or seriously, why? Why the sudden drop? Has the police or the army changed? Or the site of the pipes? The only that has changes is the PDP government that IA no longer in charge.

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Jesusloveyou: 11:03am On Jul 16, 2015
jimi4us:
did u read at all, or did u see any over flow of dams, d only thing we see in that report is that vandalism has stop

1 Like

Re: ‘ Improved Power Supply Likely To Be Sustained’ by Jesusloveyou: 11:07am On Jul 16, 2015
iliyande:
Which improvement? Our area is worse. Unlike before the change, we now see light for 20 minutes a week. My 100units of electricity purchased since March is still there looking at me and I will pay the service charge of 750. cry angry
is d fault of ur transformer, d load is much

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ghana Does Not Manage Nigeria's Airspace - GCAA / Ambode Indicts Fashola On N489.690b 2015 Budget / Ode George, Former Governor Odili Got N100M Each From National Security Adviser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.