Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,433 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m (23978 Views)

Woman Sells Off Her Cousin's Children For N1m, Attempts To Murder Their Mother. / Kidnapper Evans Sues Police For N300 Million / ‘I Inserted 386 Grammes Of Cocaine In My Anus For N1m’ - Man (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 17, 2015
One of the four suspects paraded by the police in connection with the March 12, 2015 robbery of the Lekki branch of First City Monument Bank, Ebi Tosan, has sued the police.

He is seeking N1m as damages.

The 20-year-old, who was arrested on April 5, 2015, claimed that it was unlawful for the police to continue to keep him in detention without admitting him to bail.

Tosan, who was paraded by the police along with three others – Duke Odogbo, 38; Lawrence Kingsley, 31; and Ekelemo Kuete, 30 – is seeking an order directing the police to immediately release him on bail.

The suspect’s lawyer, Chief S.W. Baidi, argued that the suspect’s continued detention without bail was an “infringement and curtailment of the applicant’s constitutional right to personal liberty, freedom of movement and presumption of innocence.”

Tosan is seeking a declaration that his arrest, torture and continued detention by the State Anti-Robbery Squad, Ikeja, without bail was a violation of his human rights, preserved by sections 34(1)(a), 35(1)(4) and Section 41 of the 1999 constitution.

In a 26-paragraph affidavit filed in support of the originating summons, one Tamuno Amos, who described himself as the suspect’s uncle, said that his nephew’s continued detention by the police was a deliberate act to “extract a confessional statement from him on the alleged offence.”

Amos, who said he had not been allowed to see his nephew since his arrest, claimed that “the applicant is suffering on daily basis without access to food, bath and other conveniences and he may die in custody if not granted bail.”

The suspect had on July 9 secured an order of Justice Lateefa Okunnu of a Lagos State High Court in Ikeja, directing the police to produce him in court on July 16.

On Thursday, however, when the matter came up, the police did not bring the suspect to court and his originating summons slated for hearing could not be heard.

Okunnu, while adjourning hearing of the application till October 22, however, ordered that the Lagos State Attorney General should be joined as a respondent. She added that if there was any urgency, the applicant could appear before October 22 before another judge who would be sitting during the court’s annual vacation, which begins next week.

The original respondents in the suit are the Lagos State Commissioner of Police and the Head of SARS, Ikeja, Abba Kyari.

In the said robbery on Admiralty Way, Lekki, Lagos, a gang of armed robbers, which Tosan and others allegedly belonged to, reportedly stormed FCMB in the afternoon of March 12, wearing military uniform and engaged the police in a gun battle before carting away about N15m from the bank.

About five persons, including three policemen and a fish hawker, were reportedly killed while several others sustained injuries during the shooting spree said to have lasted about 30 minutes.

http://www.punchng.com/news/lekki-robbery-suspect-sues-police-for-n1m-2/
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 17, 2015
Naija boys no dey carry last for anything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Cadamlk: 8:25am On Jul 17, 2015
I hope the police are keeping the right suspect in their custody? If these guys are the actual suspects,I see no reason why they should not face the wrath of the law.But this days,it is hard believe the police.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Coldfaya(m): 8:44am On Jul 17, 2015
I can bet my nokia 3310 thaat those guys being held r not the criminals. The real one go just d laff like baba iyabo thanking God some others hv taken the fall for them

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by ayusco85(m): 9:36am On Jul 17, 2015
Its too small. 100million is a good start

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by RaDaZaBaNa(m): 9:36am On Jul 17, 2015
See Fool
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by kliq(m): 9:36am On Jul 17, 2015
Just 1m

Naija Police, ever clueless/incompetent embarassed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Sijo01(f): 9:37am On Jul 17, 2015
cheesy cheesy I just the laugh
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Firefire(m): 9:37am On Jul 17, 2015
Nonsensical nonsense! Are you part of the robbery gang? Yes or No ?

It's only in Nigeria you see this type of shit, our judiciary needs reform.

All criminal, terrorism and robbery cases should be given accelerated hearing.

Maybe setting up a 'Special Court' could help?

Domestic matters in court takes decade for judgement.

Something must be done!

1 Like

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by AlchemistDean(m): 9:37am On Jul 17, 2015
I hope he Gets his Money because he may feel he's gonna milk the Government of 1 million naira nd' the Court will pend the matter or give Postponement after postponement me till the case dies...Na person go tell the guy say "Bros,forget the matter,you no even thank God say you come out Alive you dey find 1 milla"...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by danielblessing(m): 9:37am On Jul 17, 2015
only in Nigeria. I guess the so called "suspects" are not responsible for the Lekki robbery. I rest my case until further investigation.
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by RaDaZaBaNa(m): 9:38am On Jul 17, 2015
he didn't even try and prove innocence he day talk unlawful detention

Woll woll up bros gerra putta here shii
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by jaheymezz(m): 9:38am On Jul 17, 2015
I sha make front paqe.....talk ur shit
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Goldmaxx(f): 9:38am On Jul 17, 2015
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Donalleh(m): 9:38am On Jul 17, 2015
9ja guys no dey cary last
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by herald9: 9:38am On Jul 17, 2015
The suspect had on July 9 secured an order of Justice Lateefa Okunnu of a Lagos State High Court in Ikeja, directing the police to produce him in court on July 16.
On Thursday, however, when the matter came up, the police did not bring the suspect to court and his originating summons slated for hearing could not be heard.
Only in Naija.

Police don't obey court orders anymore cause they want to procure conviction by force.

Those mofos loves their prestige more than our lives...

The Nigerian police is indeed our friend.

1 Like

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 17, 2015
See Gobe
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by TeamSimple(m): 9:39am On Jul 17, 2015
Correct. There's no difference between him,Nyako and sons,Lamido and sons,Chime and other criminals that have been granted bail.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by efilefun(m): 9:41am On Jul 17, 2015
grin
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by DennisEche(m): 9:41am On Jul 17, 2015
you people are running your mouth here....... Wait till robbers will attack or visit you home then you wont be here spreading your smelly mouths
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by canalily(m): 9:42am On Jul 17, 2015
I told them to leave this innocent man nd they refusedshocked
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by mayornel2447(m): 9:42am On Jul 17, 2015
Correct!!! Na dere the guy go die..
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by kilode100(f): 9:43am On Jul 17, 2015
Hungry Robber.

Isn't it obvious they picked the wrong Robber...

Any Robber who has the guts to rob a bank in broad daylight can't/won't ask for 1million.

15 Likes

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by pinpinkay: 9:46am On Jul 17, 2015
i am eating suya , who cares to join
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by ThimmyWood(m): 9:47am On Jul 17, 2015
As long as it is Naija police, I have every right to believe that they are holding the wrong suspect.
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by yomalex(m): 9:49am On Jul 17, 2015
Jesu

1 Like

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by repogirl(f): 9:49am On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:
Hungry Robber.

Isn't it obvious they picked the wrong Robber...

Any Robber who has the guts to rob a bank in broad daylight can't/won't ask for 1million.
very true.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by Edigrows: 9:49am On Jul 17, 2015
angry they better start contributing the 1m. they will leave the real robbers and be catching suspects
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by free2ryhme: 9:49am On Jul 17, 2015
Tardy. Our persecution agencies are never ready for any watertight cases. Our political suspects have been getting away free on technicalities now armed robbery suspects will soon join them.
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by free2ryhme: 9:50am On Jul 17, 2015
the law is the the law, agreed. If the police cannot link him to the robbery, they should let him go - if that is what the law says. But if there is evidence connecting him to the robbery, the peculiarity of applying the law in Nigeria must be considered. Nigeria has no structure in place to find people who jump bail - wish is very likely what this young man is going to do.I also believe that murder is not a bailable offence- lawyers,am I correct? The boy's lawyer is trying to apply 'oyinbo' justice to a suspect who is very likely guilty. I hope it does not turn around and bite him in the face.
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by INTERMAN: 9:52am On Jul 17, 2015
That confirms it
Re: Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m by funmo(m): 9:53am On Jul 17, 2015
A suspect sues the NPF! Wonlaful

Even free citizens haven't successfully won court cases against the "great" NPF

dede happenings we ko ma mi baffle emi sharp ijebu boy

bo n ti ri o o o

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Accuses Soldiers In Aba Of Assaulting & Forcefully Shaving Off His Hair / Girl Battered By Her Stepsister In Benue (Photos) / Nigerian Jailed For 18 Years For Drug Sales, Wins Appeal To Reduce It By 1 Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.