Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,673 members, 7,837,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. (1350 Views)

A Nigerian In Germany Loses €85,000 Hidden In A Bag To Lagos Wharf Rats / Dogs Sniff Out Human Parts Seller In Anambra / Tanzania To Export Its Rats To Zimbabwe To Help Sniff Out Landmines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by ZAMZINE(m): 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2015
Bomb-sniffing rats could save thousands
around the world from death and
dismemberment every year. APOPO, a Belgian
NGO that has been training giant African
pouched rats to detect landmines, thinks it
can make this dream a reality. In operation
since 1997, their rats can effectively search
200 square meters in 20 minutes, versus the
25 operational hours it would take humans
with mine detectors. There was a global
average of 9 mine-related casualties per day
in 2013.
No HeroRats have died in the line of duty. An
average mine requires something weighing
5kg (11lb) or more to detonate, and the
heaviest operational male rats do not exceed
1.5kg (3.3lb). Furthermore, sunscreen is
applied to the rats’ ears to prevent skin-
cancer. Once a rat is no longer keen to work,
or is too old, it is retired and permitted to live
out the rest of its natural life.

source.

http://www.boredpanda.com/hero-rats-bomb-demining-africa-apopo/

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by ZAMZINE(m): 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2015
MORE

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2015
awwww
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2015
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by Futureleader1(m): 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2015
Nature....there is still many and many more things to find out in this world
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by ramdris(m): 6:32pm On Jul 17, 2015
Amazing indeed. How I wish d rats in my compound can direct their energy to some thing meaningful as this instead of stealing from me angry.

**gets out his eku gum**

2 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by Blakjewelry(m): 6:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
Cool rats has found it usefulness at last

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 18, 2015
So touching...
Rats. I like to watch them , they scare and fascinate me at once embarassed
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by osborn442(m): 4:26pm On Jul 18, 2015
Rats are dubbed as one of the most successful creatures in terms of survival. I guess this is another feather to their cap
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by seankay(m): 9:31pm On Jul 18, 2015
ISIS AND EM BOKO GO SOON HEAR AM
Re: PHOTOS: Meet The AMAZING "HERO-RATS" That Sniff Out Landmines. by tunde1200(m): 9:33pm On Jul 18, 2015
really?

(1) (Reply)

Disaster At Fedponek / Strange Arabic Inscriptions On Moringa Trees Shock Auchi Residents / Breaking News: Troops Rescue 338 Individuals Held By Boko Haram:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.