Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Worst Places To Work According To Cnn - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Worst Places To Work According To Cnn (3948 Views)

Nigeria's Most Corrupt Leaders (dead/alive) According To CNN / The List Of Top 20 Most Corrupt Nigerians (dead/alive) According To CNN / Video: Sanusi Speaks To CNN On Boko Haram Joining ISIS, Corruption In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by JustGood(m): 2:58pm On Mar 12, 2009
Anyone can use their own parameters as well to come up with a list completely different from that list.

Anyway, what do you expect from these people?
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by JustGood(m): 2:59pm On Mar 12, 2009
They should tell this to all the oyinbo people who are willing to die than to leave Lagos. When their visas expire, they run helter skelter and bribe all immigration officials just to try and extend their stay.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 3:19pm On Mar 12, 2009
must_a_far:

the US media houses would do what they want because they have the right to, they feel thats what the audience they cater to would want to know. the flip side to this coin is that, nigerian media houses do not do the same instead they help pass the message by broadcasting it whether they agree with it or not all in the name of having something to show. when last did AIT, NTA, CHANNELS, et al do an expose (they get locked down if they misyarn or not anyway so i dont blame them) highlighting anything good or bad about nigeria.

The list was not compiled by the media, but by a worldwide consulting /human resources company. Not sure why some see fit to, yet again, lob stones at the international media in this.
Just as there are those who sit back for another round of access to big mullah, we all know there are many who run out even before their contracts expire for the reasons listed.
I don't understand why people get so sentimental when news like this is made open by the media. Not that the report is far from reality. See adults throwing fits because the conditions in Lagos are being compared with those of cities around the world for the umpteenth world. I wonder if citizens of other countries throw the same sort of fits when their cities are put on the stand in such a way.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by asha80(m): 3:22pm On Mar 12, 2009
Nigerians do not like facing the truth.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by mustafar1: 3:26pm On Mar 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

The List was not compiled by the media, but by a worldwide consulting /human resources company. Not sure why some see fit to yet again blame the media this. Just as there are those who sit back for another round of access to big mullah, there are many who run out even before their contracts expire for the reasons listed. I don't understand why people get so sentimental when news like this is made open by the media. Not that the report is far from reality.

True.

asha 80:

Nigerians do not like facing the truth.

face the truth ke. that would be unpatriotic, it would be espionage.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by angel72(f): 3:31pm On Mar 12, 2009
@Pataki:

What i mean with more woman in politics is that there could be less corruption and bribes. I don't hear much about female politicians around the world that have been accused of taking bribes? And what i ment with more companies invest in the country i ment not that more companies should settle in Nigeria, but that they use a part of the money they make in Nigeria to invest in the country. For better schools, jobs, roads, electricity, etc, everything that can make the country going in the right direction.

@just good: don't the nigerians do the same? and not only nigerians, but every country that has this kind of visa problems?
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by mustafar1: 3:36pm On Mar 12, 2009
poliSTEALtian no get gender abeg. we dont know as fact what females would do if they get close enough to the top or the top. but the nigeria we know doesnt discriminate when it comes to what gender of politicians are worse/better at being corrupt.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by JustGood(m): 3:44pm On Mar 12, 2009
angel72:

@just good: don't the nigerians do the same? and not only nigerians, but every country that has this kind of visa problems?

how then is it that those people are going through all the hassle just to be allowed to stay in Lagos?
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by angel72(f): 3:57pm On Mar 12, 2009
Just like any other foreigner working in another country then his/her own, if your not done working there and need to extend your workingvisa, you don't wanna spend money on a airplaneticket to go back to your own country and apply to the local Nigerian embassy for the extension. And i'm sure that the offices in Nigeria make the foreigners bribe the nigerians to get the extension. The only thing i have seen with my own eyes, you don't get anything done without a bribe! I'm sorry to say that, but it's true, everybody wants to have extra cash because they don't get paid well for there work. That's why i find it so important that the salaries have to go up so the bribing can be stopped.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On Mar 12, 2009
angel72:

Just like any other foreigner working in another country then his/her own, if your not done working there and need to extend your workingvisa, you don't wanna spend money on a airplaneticket to go back to your own country and apply to the local Nigerian embassy for the extension. And i'm sure that the offices in Nigeria make the foreigners bribe the nigerians to get the extension. The only thing i have seen with my own eyes, you don't get anything done without a bribe! I'm sorry to say that, but it's true, everybody wants to have extra cash because they don't get paid well for there work. That's why i find it so important that the salaries have to go up so the bribing can be stopped.
I think the average salary for expatriate worker in Nigeria is outrageous enough. Most positions pay way more than the same positions would here in the US alone. Imagine a person in Nigeria earning over $1000 dollars a day while for the same position and with the same level of experience, that person is likely to get about half, or even less, of that here in the states. Just saying, we seem to value those we bring in more than they are actually worth and that explains to me why some choose to stay back. Importing expatriates without ensuring we export real talent is to me what we seem to be doing more of.

I met an Italian last year in New York who runs his own oil business in Nigeria. The dude told me of how he has learned to make as many connections as possible and pay the right bribe to get projects. When I questioned him on exactly why he keeps going back to Nigeria, he was actually forthcoming. He told me that he did not necessarily enjoy the heat or the air but the fact that he can work 6 months out of the year there and then come back to his New York to relax, doing nothing the rest of the year, is good reason for him to continue there. He goes on to say that since the government standards there are not as hard as they are here, it is easier to make money and keep that money, than it would have been for him in most of the other oil countries in the world today. The man even closes by saying that as long as one is able to understand the rules of the jungle, one will do well in Nigeria and make a lot of money too.

It is not like what he said is NEW or not known by all Nigerians, just baffling when we get the stone throwing and fits when these stories are carried by the media or told by those who have experienced it but happen to be foreigners.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by meexteriox(m): 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2009
[b]My question now is why Lagos would be number 1 on the list of worst places to work in the world? There are worse countries that lack basic amenities, and many international companies operate here, is CNN saying that nothing works in Lagos? From what I take from their ranking Lagos is the worse city in the world. Presently, I reside and work in Lagos, and I can say confidently that life is relatively ok here, I spend just 10 minutes getting to work, although there is power problem but aside that, there is security, all the roads have security lights, the police patrol is efficient, crime rate is highly reduced compared to previous years. Transportation is not that bad, commuters still go to and fro work without much hassles especially with the new BRT transport that the governor has introduced that has its special lane.

The popular Oshodi, notorious for robberies, a nest for hoodlums is now one of the most fascinating places to visit now, Eko city is another project that is aimed at relieving the housing problems of Lagosians. The rail project is still brewing and many more, Lagos is the fastest growing mega city in the world and the third biggest black city in the world.

Kansas City was ranked the most the most insecure city in the world, Lagos did not make it on the list of 20 most violent cities in the world, so I wonder how it made it as number 1 on the list of worst places you can work in the world. But you would still find many foreigners working here, sapping the juice out without plans to leave; they are so comfortable, and easily accepted in the society.

I feel this ranking is bias and baseless, you cannot compare the crime rate in other countries of the world to Lagos, and there has never been any case of school shooting as you have elsewhere. So how come?

It is easy for them to slam the door on Nigeria, because of the bad record we hold, but never be deceived, the worse of the worse occurs in other big countries and sometimes they are not news.

By Joseph Ekwu[/b]

Need i say more?
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 5:45pm On Mar 12, 2009
asha 80:

[size=13pt]Nigerians do not like facing the truth.[/size]

roflmao!!! to an unbelievable degree!!!
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by ikeyman00(m): 5:58pm On Mar 12, 2009
anybody that beleives that list need to check out his head for real!

the so called India my ass yal gamourise on made the list

so therent any need laughin ur ass off now cuz u might just be sufferin from complex wahala

anybody that being to lagos of late would know that shit is baseless

london used to be heavly locked with jammed traffic and even now M25 and co still jammed up

hmmm
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Keegan: 1:15pm On Mar 13, 2009
Imagine you have a child in school and the chancellor advised you on the poor performance of the kid and regarded him/her as the worst pupil but all you have to say is that your kid can never be the worst in school just because he’s your kid, fool; it’s for your own good. The advice of the chancellor is for you to encourage your kid to be serious with his studies and it’s not a way of disgracing you before it becomes igbehin lo ndun oloku ada. So as a sensible parent you ought to know what rightly you need to do.

Until we start to tackle our problems sincerely, sensibly, dedicatedly and professionally, that’s when we can forge ahead, I could remember late in the 80s when Nigeria was rated as the thirteen poorest nation by the IMF or World Bank, many vehemently challenged that as well,but few years later we were on our kneel asking the West to clear off our misuse debts, if we are not poor why can’t we pay up instead of begging for debt relief.

My advice to all and sundry is to keep sentiment out of most things that affects us as a nation so as to move forward, the question goes why then do we clamour for changes if everything is well? Eni ti a na ni kumo mefa toni okan ko ba oun, ara re lowa.

All I want you to know is that nothing is permanent, so there is still room for improvements if we strive harder, cooperate with the government of the day and we learn to act selflessly, we shall soon be there.

God Bless!
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 1:22pm On Mar 13, 2009
You dey mind them?? @Keegan. lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Releases Video Of Missing Nigerian Airforce Jet (watch)- Cramjones / Happening Now. Kaduna Is Fully Atikulated / Nigeria Entertainers Group Suspends Protest In FCT; As Stakeholders Meet.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.