Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame (1899 Views)

Concrete Roads Vs Asphalt Roads / Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Viktor1983(m): 9:37am On Jul 20, 2015
Days of putting up with crumbling asphalt
streets might just come to an end.
Construction company VolkerWessels has
revealed plans for recycled plastic roads that
are both more sustainable and more practical
than old-fashioned blacktop.
Besides reusing
material, they'd last about three times longer
and survive greater temperature ranges
(between -40F and 176F) -- despite their fragile
look, they're less likely to crack under the
strain of vehicles or the weather. You can pre-
assemble them to lay them down faster, too,
and their hollow structure is handy for cabling
and pipes.
This is just a concept at the moment, but
VolkerWessels fully intends to test it and make
sure that it holds up in the real world. That's
not idle talk, either. The Dutch city of
Rotterdam is interested in trying out these
plastic surfaces in its "street lab," and the
company hopes to have an honest-to-goodness
route in operation within three years. If the
idea still sounds outlandish, look at it this way:
it's likely the closest you'll ever get to driving a
Hot Wheels track in real life.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/19/plastic-roads/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by fathomberry: 9:39am On Jul 20, 2015
Wow shocked
Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 20, 2015
Innovative! But something keeps ringing in my frontal lobe: friction! Friction!! Friction!!!....

2 Likes

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 20, 2015
Once a people have conquered such basic distractions as hunger, sound education, clean water,shelter, etc,then they can fully grow into developing the fantastic innovative ability they're being endowed by Providence!

African leaders are yet to overcome most of these BASIC issues. How can we think? Thinking is one of the most stressful and engaging activity anyone can indulge. How can you engage in it when you're hungry, naked, living in squalor? Tell me, my people.

Bro, Africa is a huge disappointment. Just look around your immediate vicinity. What did you find? Dirts. Potholes. Poverty. Stench. Darkness. Individuals sinking bore holes. What a people. SMH!!!!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by francizy(m): 10:12am On Jul 20, 2015
shocked

Does recycled plastics have the compresive strength and wear resistance to be able to survive the day to day wear and load of vehicles and their tires?

I was taught that:

Ceramics (a category which the present asphalt falls into) are usually good at carrying compressive loads and possess good wear resistance.

Thermoplastics (with the exception of thermosets) are recyclable, possess excellent tensile strengths but poor compressive strength and poor wear resistance.

So now, how will thermoplastics replace ceramics for road construction?

[size=1pt]lalasticlala[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 20, 2015
francizy:
shocked

Does recycled plastics have the compresive strength and wear resistance to be able to survive the day to day wear and load of vehicles and their tires?

I was taught that:

Ceramics (a category which the present asphalt falls into) are usually good at carrying compressive loads and possess good wear resistance.

Thermoplastics (with the exception of thermosets) are recyclable, possess excellent tensile strengths but poor compressive strength and poor wear resistance.

So now, how will thermoplastics replace ceramics for road construction?

Bro, come down to our level grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by francizy(m): 10:50am On Jul 20, 2015
dearpreye:

Bro, come down to our level grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin

Lol! Wear/abrasive resistance na simple Engineering terms na.. grin

Lemme give you examples, it's quit easier to scratch off pieces of plastic from parent plastic materials than scratching off particles of stone from a bigger stone (or rock). This simply means that stones have better abrasive resistance than plastics. Reason why granites/gravels were used for road constructions in the first place ( and are still being used).

Compressive strength is the ability of a material to withstand compressive loading without failure. Compressive in the sense that, when you press down a material or put a heavy load on a material, you are exerting a compressive load on it. If I sit on your face, am exerting a compressive load on your face.. grin This is opposite of tensile loading which involves pulling a material outwardly (tensile strength/load is not important in this contest tho).

These are the reasons why am kinda perplexed as to how recycled plastics which I know they possess poor compressive strength and wear resistance can be used to replace ceramics (asphalt) for road construction.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Shagati(m): 12:42pm On Jul 20, 2015
vfactor:
Innovative! But something keeps ringing in my frontal lobe: friction! Friction!! Friction!!!....

A different phrase is ringing in mine:
Tanker fire! Tanker fire!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
Shagati:

You see!? They should come up with something better and cheaper! Maybe fire resistant, rough plastic
Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by shikshark: 9:20pm On Jul 20, 2015
they should start by making parking lots.

1 Like

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by stpat1(m): 10:47pm On Jul 20, 2015
Shagati:

They can be made to be fire resistant. The plastics used might even be non flammable.
Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by SurefireAsoOke: 11:14am On Dec 08, 2015
Nice innovation.... Hope it won't be affected by the picture below

For Aso-Oke, Check my signature

Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Viktor1983(m): 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
SurefireAsoOke:
Nice innovation.... Hope it won't be affected by the picture below

For Aso-Oke, Check my signature

Lol! I guess only advanced societies would find these kind of road beneficial
Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by double0seven(m): 6:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
OP, post the source of this your news, otherwise it just fiction

would I've believed to some extent, but the pictures of the road I saw, with underneath it with pipes. How is an hollow plastic supposed to withstand the pressure from weigh of many cars. ?
Re: Plastic Roads May Put Asphalt To Shame by Redfruit(m): 1:29am On Dec 09, 2015
Will there be enough frictional force between the road and car tyres?

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Android Smartphone / When Will Nigeria Road Be Like This? / Scary Creature Lady Saw In Her Compound & What Nigerians Are Saying It (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.