Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Some Hilarious Igbo Proverbs - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Hilarious Igbo Proverbs (11034 Views)

Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / Some "Super-lovely" And Hilarious Yoruba Proverbs You Would Love To Know / Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Hilarious Igbo Proverbs by sirculynz(m): 1:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
I was listening to Owerri music, I came across some funny funny proverbs, I decided to write some of them here. Enjoy[b]

1) Oke nkita si na ihe mere ya nyuwa mamiri ya ewelie ukwu ya elu, o ka o goro umunna ya ilu si na onweghi kwa ibi obula dara ya oo[b] The male dog said why he always raises one leg while urinating is that he want to swear to everybody that he's not suffering from Ibi (swollen testicles)
grin grin

2)Ahu dimkpa, ahu okpokpo imi ya, ahukwanu otule ahu onye pa ya... If u see a grown man you will notice his big nose, also if u see nyash u will try and see who is carrying it grin grin

3) Nwanyi otule ukwu ga amakwa ihe omere onwe ya
mgbe oso suru.. A woman with big butt will know what she did to herself when running time reach

4) Onwere ihe afo ga-asa nnama ya a haka ewu.. Theirs no kind of Running stomach that will do a cow and he will be like goat

5)Otule kpazie ezi agwa eweputa ya ihu maka ebe o nobu, o bu agwa ojoo ya domara azu..When yansh start behaving well it will go back to the front cos thats his initial normal position it's cos of his bad behaviour that sent him to the back
6) Eze fogodu otu, a ga na-ata atu... Even if your teeth remain one, u will not stop brushing it
7)Ochuu nwa okuko nwe ada, nwa okuko nwe nwewe oso He who pursue chicken will always fall while the chicken will still be running
cool Onye obula tara ahu para otule ukwu ihe opa bu oversize He who's slim and has big nyash, she's carrying oversize o grin grin
9) Agadi nwanyi nkunyere nwata si ya kudoro m, ya asi m na onweghi eze, a si m ya tagbuoro m ya? An old woman I gave a baby to carry and she told me she doesn't have teeth, did I tell her to bite/eat him?
10)O na awu ozu shiwa ushi, enyi ka nwanne agbalaga When a dead person starts smelling, even a friend that's like a brother to him will have to run.
11)Anaghi e ji ihe eji agba na nti agba n'anya.. U don't use what u wear on ur ear and wear it on ur eye
12) Oke soro ngwere maa mmiri, mmiri kosia ngwere o gaghi ako oke.. When a rat follows a lizard and stay in the rain, the lizard will get dried up easily where as the rat wont
13) Nwa riaga, ya ariagara nne mana ogbakee kwanu ya agbakeere ohaneze When a child is sick only his mother suffers it but when he's healthy he s now everybody's child
14) Onye gba aka jee ahia, ya hu ihe mara mma ya na-eti nna eh! nna eh! ; o gi na nna gi Kwo bia? Someone that went to market without money, if he sees fine thing he will start shouting my father! my father!, na u and ur father follow come?
15) A ga m emere onye isi ukwu ebere, o ga idiri ya okpu o ga ikpu... I won't mercy for someone with big head instead, the cap he will wear will do that. grin grin
16)O bughi ikunye enwe mmiri bu Isi okwu, o bu inatakwa ya iko. . Giving a monkey water to drink is
not the problem rather collecting back the cup from him

17) Okuko si na ihe na ewe ya iwe bu egbuchaa ya ewere isi ya nye umuazi...The chicken says that what annoys him the most is that after killing him his head will be given to children to eat (lack of respect lol grin grin)
18)ikwikwi muchara nwa wee si na isi nwa ya na-atu ya egwu... An owl after giving birth said the head of his child scares him ( grin grin na me born am?)
19) Onye si agbara egbula ya, mmadu egbukwala ya; ya jiri aka ya gbuo onwe ya, I pata ozu ya ga-adi ka ebe a patara ewu... Someone that doesn't want the gods or someone to kill him, when he eventually kills himself; bringing out his corpse will be like bringing out goat
20) Oke si na obughi onye gburu ya ka o na ewesara iwe kama onye ahu biara kupiasia ya..The rat said he's not that angry with the person that killed him rather those that will continue smashing/crushing him after he's dead already grin grin grin

Source: me, I wrote all

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Hilarious Igbo Proverbs by Altruist1414: 6:16pm On Feb 19
INTERESTING STUFF

(1) (Reply)

Learning Igbo Language Online? / History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.