Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,376 members, 7,826,478 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi (470 Views)

Ayiri Emami Hosts Pat Utomi At His Mansion (Photos) / Obasanjo, IBB, Danjuma, Others Running Nigeria With Buhari - Pat Utomi / NLC: Buhari Now Captive Of Forces Of Subsidy Removal, Deregulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by michaelwilli(m): 3:56pm On Jul 20, 2015
Professor of Political Economy, Pat Utomi, has said that the removal of fuel subsidy will not have negative impact on the country.

Subsidy removal, according to him, will lead to competition and eventually bring down the price of the product.

Comments

Ade Okeke: It is so sad that Utomi could say this. I am sure we will not go far before finding another article where the same professor argued against subsidy. In fact, some years ago in Lagos, he protested against plans to remove fuel subsidy during the Jonathan administration. It is a sad day, indeed, for the scholar. Where does one now draw the line? For Utomi to rubbish his integrity on the altar of party politics is beyond imagination.
ADVERTISEMENT

I am not against subsidy removal but I hate the hypocrisy of job seekers who are calling for its removal just to please those in power.

Sani Ahmed: Utomi kicked against fuel subsidy removal when Goodluck Jonathan was in power. Why is he now calling for its removal? He has not even referred to local refineries, maybe because he does not want to offend those who have built refineries abroad.

Smart G: There is so much politicking about the subsidy issue. Its removal can be only when there is enough local production to meet the demand. When there are functional refineries, it will go naturally.

Princegab Evans: Utomi’s comparison makes sense. He mentioned the necessary conditions needed before subsidy removal can take place. We should note that with the paradigm shift in anti-corruption war, it is obvious that Nigeria cannot sustain the subsidy regime.

Bello Barriga: Why should people attack a messenger instead of the message? Utomi only delivered a message, which is the logical direction. The National Assembly should be addressing some of these issues. But they have rather chosen to engage in exchange of blows. They are not discussing ideas. People should appreciate those who are sharing their thoughts on the issues the lawmakers are avoiding.
Re: Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 20, 2015
That's great
Re: Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by Faremisodeeq(m): 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2015
If i hear!!!!
Re: Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by eminikansoso(m): 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2015
okay o
Re: Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by Demmocrats(m): 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
Re: Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by princdebola201(m): 4:49pm On Jul 20, 2015
Kkk
Re: Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by StOla: 4:54pm On Jul 20, 2015
God punish anyone that advocates for subsidy removal.

The poor who don't drive official cars, and reside in official quarters, would not pay for the irresponsibility of government in managing our national refineries.

Eliminate importation by developing local refining capacity, subsidy will die a natural death without advocacy.
Re: Subsidy Removal Won’t Hurt Nigerians — Utomi by IAMTHEHERO: 4:55pm On Jul 20, 2015
Shaking My Head(SMH). ..and the way things are going,l will continue shaking my head in the next 4 years. Why didn't Prof Otapiapia say so in 2012 when GEJ wanted to remove subsidy?

(1) (Reply)

Editorial: Yinka Odumakin Is Anti-true Federalism / Gov Dickson's Health Commissioner, Dr. A. Owei Forcefully Defraud Health Workers / Why Do People Not Want To Leave The Boko Haram Troubled Northern States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.