Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram (17010 Views)

US: Buhari’s Agenda Very Well Matches Ours / Buhari's Campaign Promise Of Defeating Boko Haram About To Be Delivered / Army Has Met December Deadline Of Defeating Boko Haram – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:40am On Jul 21, 2015
THE US President, Barack Obama, on Monday offered strong support for Nigeria’s new President, Muhammadu Buhari, saying he had a “clear agenda” for defeating the militant Islamist group, Boko Haram, and was working to root out corruption.

Speaking as he greeted Buhari on his first visit to the White House since his election in March, Obama said the two leaders would discuss ways to cooperate against the group, which had wreaked havoc in parts of the West African country.

Obama told reporters in the Oval Office that Buhari had integrity and “a very clear agenda in defeating Boko Haram extremists of all sorts inside his country.”

Boko Haram has carried out multiple attacks in northern Nigeria, most notably the April 2014 kidnapping of 276 Nigerian schoolgirls who are still missing.

The specific tactics Buhari will use against the group are still unknown, say experts who study the region.

White House spokesman, Josh Earnest, said the United States could offer intelligence to help the Nigerian efforts as well as support for communities hurt by the group.

Buhari’s election is the first democratic power transition in decades, which Obama called “an affirmation of Nigeria’s commitment to democracy,” and the visit is meant to usher in a new chapter in relations between the two countries.

The US cooperation with Buhari’s predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, had virtually grounded to a halt over issues including his refusal to investigate corruption and human rights abuses by the Nigerian military.

Buhari’s move on July 13 to fire military chiefs appointed by Jonathan cleared the way for more military cooperation, the US officials have said.

Since Buhari’s election, Washington has committed $5m in new support for a multi-national task force set up to fight Boko Haram. Obama did not signal whether he might send the US troops to help train Nigerian forces.

The US is also looking at improving its economic ties with Nigeria, Africa’s biggest oil producer, especially as relations with two of Africa’s other big powers, Egypt and South Africa, have cooled.

Obama called Nigeria one of the most important countries on the African continent and in the world and he commended Buhari’s work in rooting out corruption that he said had held back Nigeria’s economic growth.

Buhari was also expected to meet with the US Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, later on Monday to discuss countering violent extremism.

Meanwhile, Buhari on Monday said the sustained pressure mounted on the immediate past administration by the US and some European countries made the last general election in Nigeria to be free and fair.

A statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, quoted the President as speaking while responding to the welcome remarks by Obama before the start of the bilateral meeting between officials of both countries at the Oval Office of the White House, Washington DC, on the second day of Buhari’s four-day visit to the US.

“Without the external pressure, we would not be where we are today,” Adesina quoted the President as saying.

Buhari recalled that the pressure started from the visit of the US Secretary of State, John Kerry, to the past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega.

“Nigeria will be ever grateful to President Obama and the United States for making Nigeria to consolidate its gains on democracy,” the President added.

http://www.punchng.com/news/obama-okays-buharis-agenda-for-defeating-boko-haram/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:41am On Jul 21, 2015
Buh wait ooo, where is the agenda undecided

7 Likes

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by techcoms: 1:45am On Jul 21, 2015
What agenda is it for ISIS or Bo-Ko

2 Likes

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by tbmas(m): 1:45am On Jul 21, 2015
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by dunkem21(m): 1:46am On Jul 21, 2015
Click Like if you agree with Obama ..

Click share to disagree with Obama grin

OK ..The Likes have it ..

..Buhari carry on with your "Agenda"

83 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:48am On Jul 21, 2015
techcoms:
What agenda is it for ISIS or Bo-Ko
contact mr president and ask that from him.

4 Likes

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by DharmyYinks: 1:50am On Jul 21, 2015
All is well
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by kodded(m): 1:55am On Jul 21, 2015
Scammers

1 Like

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:56am On Jul 21, 2015
kodded:
Scammers
who is scamming who
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by UnknownT: 7:20am On Jul 21, 2015
Op, the title makes it look like Nigeria is a colony of the US. So if Obama doesn't okay Buhari's plan, the war wouldn't go ahead?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by SaiBuharii: 8:54am On Jul 21, 2015
Baba carry go. Your lovers are significantly more than your haters. Them be mumu.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by makzeze: 8:54am On Jul 21, 2015
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by idari: 8:54am On Jul 21, 2015
Any move made by Buhari is ok for me,because I believe d man has good intentions for dis country,in Baba we trust. Sai Baba!!! From an ex wailing wailer

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by nairaman66(m): 8:54am On Jul 21, 2015
So Nigeria needs to present her plans to the USA before they are actualize!! We are watching..

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by bigv(m): 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
Huh? Egbami, APPROVE? Na budget? Na Obama be our House of Assembly?

I don't like this hype Nigeria is giving to USA. Common, the whole media in Nigeria is filled with Buhari visits obama in grand style bla bla bla. Meanwhile, the US is not agog with our President there, hardly has CNN carried the news sef.

#BabaComeBackHome Let's solve our mess together. The USA didn't create it for us.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Neduzze5(m): 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
Clear Agenda ko, hidden agenda ni!!

Biko Daura dullaard come back home ooh cos the former CSO you put in prison has just died!!

5 Likes

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Beno3: 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
ok
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by tucky200(m): 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
Okay
Neduzze5:
Clear Agenda ko, hidden agenda ni!!
Biko Daura dullaard come back home ooh cos the former CSO you put in prison has just died!!
Mumu undecided

4 Likes

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Mogidi: 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
[size=15pt]Is Obama now our President?[/size]
Seems Bubu handed our sovereignty to America. Why would a Nigerian president visit America to ask them to okay his policies?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by RichDad1(m): 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
It's okay for me here too. cool

1 Like

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by myklangelo(m): 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
huh the specific tactics he will use are still unknown both to the political pundits and even Buhari dont know the tactics he wan use. The main thing is that he will continually tell us he will tackle them.
maybe na press-up tactics as examplified by Buratai.
my own be let him be careful on how he deals with America, no be to go there de smile up and down as if on close-up audition, America are too conscious of what to gain and who to control.

onye ya na ekwensu na-eri nri na-eji ogonogo ngaji.

Igbo ga-adịrịrị.
Visit the 1st Igbo language Blog
www.odeniigbo..com

6 Likes

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by opefio: 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by mekanaky: 8:55am On Jul 21, 2015
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by dammytosh: 8:56am On Jul 21, 2015
Nice move
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by adenine02: 8:56am On Jul 21, 2015
wink
We pray d plans work

1 Like

Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by kennyman2000(m): 8:56am On Jul 21, 2015
Him must to approve am naaaw when him see sensible presido strategy...

Check my profile page for ur glow in dark customised wristband
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Justicealh3(m): 8:56am On Jul 21, 2015
So u people kno how to support & crush the damn BOKO HARAM? But u people leave us since GEJ adminitration! U americans self.
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by onyeguy: 8:56am On Jul 21, 2015
Hmm
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by RichDad1(m): 8:56am On Jul 21, 2015
makzeze:
I
jieopo:
flodiosc:
tucky200:
opefio:
Wariss diss?
Re: Obama Okays Buhari’s Agenda For Defeating Boko Haram by Hammefeez: 8:56am On Jul 21, 2015
nice and good for us
. Dear God, LETTER OF REQUEST FOR QUEST I am a Nigerian with above moniker, I hereby request for your grace, glory and glamour to outshine all and every enemy of my life, either physical or spiritual. My taste is high and i know You have what it takes to make them available for me without suffering or waiting too long. I need them now I need, money, money and money plus good health, success, glory, protection and ability to stay under your guildiance and ability to be first to comment. I want you to force Moderators make one of my Topics front page things. Amen I'm glad because you've answered my request. Thank you

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"My Stressful PVC Registration Experience In Lagos, INEC Not Ready" - Lady / NITDA Issues ‘Code Of Practice’ To Regulate Online Platforms In Nigeria / Unknown Gunmen Attack Custom Officers, Set Vehicle Ablaze In Ebonyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.