Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,340 members, 7,954,391 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:00 PM

Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? (12350 Views)

Breaking News: Kogi State Is Under Attack Right Now. DSS Office Under Siege! / President Jonathan Campaigns In Kwara (pictures) / APC Promises 40,000MW To Stop Power Outage Pains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by DisGuy: 3:36pm On Mar 12, 2009
http://www.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5372&Itemid=87

Light’, which has become the local euphemism for electricity supply has been steady for four weeks now and this has infused a new found productivity around that some motorcyclist have abandoned their contraptions and gone back to the hand craft and trade they had to abandon because of irregular or absence of electricity. “We’ve been enjoying constant light now for more than a month,” says Ola Hakeem, a welder who was busy trying to couple together a door frame he was contracted to supply to a new house. “In the past I would have been thinking about how to buy diesel to start my generator but now with the availability of light I don’t need to buy the diesel. I spend less and deliver fast to my customers without disappointment. I hope things will continue to remain this way. It will sustain small business people like me.”

For this newfound hope in the electricity agencies where previously it is bitter cynicisms that is usually expressed once the subject of electricity supply is mentioned, Hakeem has the success of the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) in Kwara State to thank. And no, his debt is not to the Federal Government, particularly, but to the state government. Kwara is only one out of several other states in the country that were funded in the NIPP project to improve electricity supply in the country. Other states have private arrangements to introduce independent power projects where billions of naira has been spent to meet the shortfall in electricity supply with nothing to show. But while the NIPP projects across the country are still wobbling that of Kwara is the first and the only one to be completed and in operation on the 23rd of January this year. It wouldn’t have happened says Dr. Toyin Ayo Ibrahim, the Special Adviser on Project Monitoring in the state whose office is responsible for the project if the state government had not quietly taken the decision to curb its reliance on the Federal Government and decided to do something with the resources at its disposal to help itself. “When the state government came in it was about to be abandoned,” says Dr. Ibrahim. “The Obasanjo administration funded the project and paid the entire off-shore component, remaining the onshore component which cost about N800 million. It was at this point that the Yar’adua administration came in and suspended all the NIPP projects in order to carry out proper investigations on them. The Kwara State government felt it cannot wait to get the benefit of the project so it started funding the project.”
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by gongoaso1: 4:03pm On Mar 12, 2009
@poster
I happened to be in the town (ilorin) some weeks ago. i must say i was impressed, there was light 24/7 while i was there shocked. thought it myt be the area i was but the inhabitants made me understand that ever since the state govt commissioned the NIPP @ ganmo,the light has been constant. so the repprt quoted is merely stating the fact.
i think we are stating to get things right albeit slowly undecided
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2009
will call home to confirm, but i DOUBT IT - unless it was in the last month or so. . .
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Mar 12, 2009
@Topic

Very interesting development.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Lagosboy: 4:23pm On Mar 12, 2009
I hear from many fellas that Bukola is performing well in Kwara , pls people based in Ilorin and other Kwara towns how true is this ?
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by debosky(m): 4:26pm On Mar 12, 2009
The sad irony though is with the past suspension of the NIPP project and the slowness of the Yar’adua administration to resume it some of the transformers provided for the NIPP project in some states might have been quietly looted. Even though they were not mentioning names, officials spoken to are positive that some states will have to start all over from scratch because vital components for the NIPP project might have grown legs

Instead of Yar'adua to move to complete projects, he hasn't done anything as yet, nearly 2 YEARS after taking office.  undecided

For avoidance of doubt, what was completed at Ganmo is not NIPP (independent power generation) per se, it completed a transmission station which helps the state receive supply from nearby Kainji and then step it down for local distribution. However it was captured under the NIPP project for implementation.

This just goes to show that if Yar'adua showed FOCUS, many of the uncompleted IPP's could have been completed and connected to the grid by now.

OYB you better move back to Kwara and stop hustling in Lagos, they are enjoying kwaret light over there.  cheesy grin grin
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by KnowAll(m): 4:29pm On Mar 12, 2009
The saraki's are only paying part of what they stole from the people through Societal General, 17 billion naira disappar over night from Societal General. What he has given the people of Kwara state is a small token of what they stole from that bank, at least they did something with the money and I am sure they will still claim anymore spent on this project from the FG.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 12, 2009
debosky:

Instead of Yar'adua to move to complete projects, he hasn't done anything as yet, nearly 2 YEARS after taking office.  undecided

For avoidance of doubt, what was completed at Ganmo is not NIPP (independent power generation) per se, it completed a transmission station which helps the state receive supply from nearby Kainji and then step it down for local distribution. However it was captured under the NIPP project for implementation.

This just goes to show that if Yar'adua showed FOCUS, many of the uncompleted IPP's could have been completed and connected to the grid by now.

OYB you better move back to Kwara and stop hustling in Lagos, they are enjoying kwaret light over there.  cheesy grin grin

seems my former boss/uncle was able to get to bukola. the man is a power engineer who was involved in most of naijas power infrastructure in the 70s. and 80s. back then we were talking about power in kwara and he had said all we needed was a transmission substation in kwara, not a power station, as the people around bukola were saying

sadly, no be light i go chop cheesy. then again, one of my classmates is making BIG money as a cuivil engr. dude just bought a sequoia. . . myb u're right. . . grin
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by DisGuy: 4:48pm On Mar 12, 2009
Debosky, you will agree if STATE GOVERNMENTS do their bit instead of waiting for monthly allocation or Fg instructions we will get there sooner than later, it seems some state government especially those with higher monthly allocations are acting like spectators and even playing the blame game on 'past administrators'

the simple task of stepping down/transmission is not too much for state government, i dont see why tehy can compliment they ministrys effort, the should allow the FG concentrate on generation
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Jarus(m): 5:03pm On Mar 12, 2009
I've not spent 3 days consecutively in my homestate in the last couple of years but I keep hearing/reading about Bukky's wonders. He gets high performance rating everywhere.
Maybe when next I call home I will ask about about this non-stop power talk.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by MrCrackles(m): 5:14pm On Mar 12, 2009
Destination

UK~ TO ~ KWARA
!! cheesy
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by debosky(m): 5:26pm On Mar 12, 2009
Dis Guy:

Debosky, you will agree if STATE GOVERNMENTS do their bit instead of waiting for monthly allocation or Fg instructions we will get there sooner than later, it seems some state government especially those with higher monthly allocations are acting like spectators and even playing the blame game on 'past administrators'

The problem lies in over-centralisation of power generation, transmission and distribution. While the whole 'national grid' idea is a good one, we need to decouple a bit so zones/regions/states can be encouraged to invest in their local power generation equipment, knowing that the state will benefit from it. States need more freedom to meet their peculiar problems instead of being dependent on a plodding central government for everything.

Kwara has done something because their peculiar problem was transmission. Besides, the demand for power in Kwara is likely smaller than what the larger states like Lagos, Ogun, Kano, Kaduna and others require so transmission, while needed, wouldn't bring immediate succour like it did in Kwara
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by ohaechesi(m): 5:48pm On Mar 12, 2009
debosky:

The problem lies in over-centralisation of power generation, transmission and distribution. While the whole 'national grid' idea is a good one, we need to decouple a bit so zones/regions/states can be encouraged to invest in their local power generation equipment, knowing that the state will benefit from it. States need more freedom to meet their peculiar problems instead of being dependent on a plodding central government for everything.

Kwara has done something because their peculiar problem was transmission. Besides, the demand for power in Kwara is likely smaller than what the larger states like Lagos, Ogun, Kano, Kaduna and others require so transmission, while needed, wouldn't bring immediate succour like it did in Kwara

you made some point at the start but digree at the end. the demand for power supply should be aggregated of the same proximity with every other states. other states should emulate the good works of the power that be in Kwara state, period
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Jakumo(m): 5:50pm On Mar 12, 2009
If Kwara State is indeed providing electricity around the clock, the impossible has been performed by that state governor, and his astonishing feat is unquestionably the greatest news to come out of Nigeria for the past twenty years.

Given the invasive national necrosis caused by the criminal cartel that profits from depriving Nigeria of grid electricity, one could have been excused for assuming that Nigeria would[i] never [/i]  shake off those fat leeches so as to provide its 200 million citizens with electrical power.  

This success story is almost too good to be true.  Hopefully this Miracle in Kwara State heralds the turning of the tide towards a time of legitimate optimism - a time that will usher Nigeria gently into the light, from the depth of its stagnant dark age, to join the industrialized world which takes stable grid electrical power for granted, in its capacity as the primary engine of social progress.

Maybe there is hope for Nigeria after all.  Wow.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by bawomolo(m): 5:51pm On Mar 12, 2009
congrats to kwara
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by bilms(m): 6:26pm On Mar 12, 2009
yes.

it is real.

i called my friend to comfirm and he said yes for almost or more than a month now. there is contant light and i feel great abt it.

i will be going to ilorin next week to see my self
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by kokoye(m): 6:36pm On Mar 12, 2009
KnowAll:

The saraki's are only paying part of what they stole from the people through Societal General, 17 billion naira disappar over night from Societal General. What he has given the people of Kwara state is a small token of what they stole from that bank, at least they did something with the money and I am sure they will still claim anymore spent on this project from the FG.

Who cares??

If the Sarakis are able to do a postive thing which no one esle has been able to do, they're free to steal whatever!

If Yaradua steals 100trillion but the electricity situatio becomes excellent, do you think anybody will care how much he's stolen?

Dont forget that this is Nigeria - the Sarakis could have stolen the loot and still ignored the poeple and nothing would come out of it. But he chose to do something positive - something almost a miracle in that country.

You need to give him credit for what he's done and encourage him - not try to remind him of the dark days.

I am not justifying embezzlement but unfortunately, it is what it is concerning my dear country.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by TOYOSI20(f): 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2009
bilms:

yes.

it is real.

i called my friend to comfirm and he said yes for almost or more than a month now. there is contant light and i feel great abt it.

i will be going to ilorin next week to see my self
Yup, yup, thats how we do it oo, for real, ma people can now buy meat, fish, and chicken in bulk wid/o the fear of them getting spoilt!! cool cool cool

Two words. . . .UP NEPA!!!! shocked shocked grin grin grin
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Pepeye(f): 6:39pm On Mar 12, 2009
I dof my hat to the state gov . . . he’s got my ovation

hopefully other state gov's ll take a cue from him
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by MoVinTrAin: 6:40pm On Mar 12, 2009
I dont think it will last
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Moonstone(f): 6:42pm On Mar 12, 2009
MoVinTrAin:

My thoughts exactly

I do feel it is a great start though. A good beginning so far. If it works for them, maybe other states can implement it.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by TOYOSI20(f): 6:43pm On Mar 12, 2009
MoVinTrAin:

Awon enemies of progress tun tide oo!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Pepeye:

I dof my hat to the state gov . . . he’s got my ovation
hopefully other state gov's ll take a cue from him

True!! wink cheesy

Im on ma feet clapping ma hands ssoooooooooooooooooooo hard!! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by presido1: 6:47pm On Mar 12, 2009
Let the state government issue a token meter to every house, office and shop so that they will pay for the electricity as at when due otherwise unpaid bills will cripple the system b4 long.
Token again will make them use the electricity when its necessary and put off every appliance that is not in use. They will save money and environment at the same time.

KUDOS to the State.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by asha80(m): 6:52pm On Mar 12, 2009
Maybe a good timr to relocate to ilorin to set up a good business. smiley
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by kokoye(m): 6:53pm On Mar 12, 2009
presido1:

Let the state government issue a token meter to every house, office and shop so that they will pay for the electricity as at when due otherwise unpaid bills will cripple the system b4 long.
Token again will make them use the electricity when its necessary and put off every appliance that is not in use. They will save money and environment at the same time.

KUDOS to the State.

Preach it!!unpaid bills will sent them back to the dark ages
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Backslider(m): 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2009
It should last if only the companies make money. We like to take out the business aspect of Transportation Power and Housing. Well not untill we take out politics out of these 3 areas we will be going up(as we have in Kwara state now) and down.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by jara: 7:08pm On Mar 12, 2009
The Obasanjo administration funded the project and paid the entire off-shore component, remaining the onshore component which cost about N800 million. It was at this point that the Yar’adua administration came in and suspended all the NIPP projects in order to carry out proper investigations on them. The Kwara State government felt it cannot wait to get the benefit of the project so it started funding the project.”

This is an intention and planning that translated into reality and worth commending. If you are thinking it is not going to last, I can not blame you. Nothing good last in Nigeria. Someone will come up with greed asking for foreign parts or the power will be short down.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by lagbaja(m): 7:46pm On Mar 12, 2009
Kudos to the Kwara state governor, This goes to confirm my fear that all the noise from the house of assembly over the NIPP power investigation was all a ruse to confuse the pubic, they cried foul that the NIPP was a sham. Their real intent was to reaward the contracts to themselves.

Read the following piece from Thisday

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=137931

Obasanjo ‘Released Only $3.08bn for Power Project’
From Ike Abonyi in Abuja, 03.12.2009

As the House of Representatives continues to dilly-dally over its power probe report, fresh facts emerged in Abuja on Tuesday that contrary to claim that about $13 billion was squandered by the Obasanjo administration on the power sector, only about $3.08 billion was actually expended.
This indication was from a summary presentation on the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) presented to the National Economic Council (NEC) by the Governor Gabriel Suswam of Benue State.
Suswam, on behalf of the Presidential Review Panel on the NIPP set up by the NEC, said the panel found that as at 2007, total project allocations/ estimates to NIPP was $10.231 billion inclusive of the $2 billion Federal Government counterpart funding for Mambilla Hydro Power project and $1.4 billion for additional nine turbines.
According to Suswam, out of these commitments, only $3.08 billion was funded and scrutinised with advance payment guarantees from “first class” Nigerian banks and Letters of Credits issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). He said over $1.5 billion of the sum is still in the custody of the banks.
The report also said there is an ongoing comprehensive review exercise taking place to determine the most up-to-date estimates of costs to complete the project. This is in view of the cost over runs arising from over 18 months of delay and stall in funding.
Suswam, in his report, also identified intermittency and stoppage of funds as among the factors that helped to frustrate the implementation.
Lack of thorough feasibility studies was also fingered as being responsible for the several challenges of the project in the area of transportation, water supply and transmission connections to the sites.
There was also what the report called “slow pace of surveys, enumeration work and payment to land owners has impacted on site development. The project also lacked clear and defined ownership structure/agreed responsibilities and it has resulted in a dis-jointed and uncoordinated project implementation”.
For a new approach in the project, Suswam advocated the need to undertake comprehensive studies of the project strengths and weaknesses as well as rekindle federal and state governments’ interests in the project as shareholders on the investment.
He underscored the importance of good funding to complete the projects in order to realise the full value.
The report also recommended that the project should be executed under a new management structure and pragmatic and dynamic implementation scheme and efforts should be made to eliminate project bottlenecks through stakeholders’ participation.
The report said after due deliberations, the committee agreed that completing the project as initiated is the right way to go as it would be the only sure way to improve Nigeria’s power supply logjam and free its citizenry and businesses from the shackles of darkness.
On the funding procedure henceforth, the committee recommended that $5.237 billion be provided through the interaction/cooperation of the federal and state governments.
The committee also suggested the legitimising of fund allocations from the Excess Crude Savings Account by securing appropriations by the National Assembly and state Houses of Assembly.
Among the terms of reference of the panel headed by Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan and governors drawn from the six geo-political zones as members included how to meet the 6000mw estimated by the government by 2009 and to recommend appropriate utilisation of government’s $5.3 billion.
Yar’Adua had last year ignited the debate when he disclosed that over $10 billion was spent on power by the previous administration with nothing to show for it.
The Speaker of the House Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, followed suit by saying the sum was over $16 billion, while the House power probe committee Chairman, Hon. Ndudi Elumelu, gave a figure of $13 billion.
Almost one year after the motion for the probe was moved by the House Minority Leader, Hon Ali Ndume, the report is yet to be debated many months after it was submitted by the committee
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Jakumo(m): 7:58pm On Mar 12, 2009
I hope the National Armed Robbers Coalition ( NARC) are reading all these details of just how much Obasanjo personally stole from Nigeria's electricity budget to ensure the country remained in darkness, creating mass unemployment and forcing so many young Nigerians into lives of crime.

Yeah buddy. I sure do hope they are reading all this and planning accordingly.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by Fhemmmy: 8:04pm On Mar 12, 2009
I Personally think that the energy sector shd be left in the hands of each state now, cos most of the governors are still aspiring to be the president and that will make some of them to perform and give to the pple what the people will need, most presidents or at least those that Nigeria has seen are all messed up, and cant do nothing to help the nation, they all talk and no action, when Y'Adua took office almost 2 years ago, may thought the "Messaih" has come and here we are, still darkness, bad road, almost 40% unemployment, and 20% of the employed are political thugs, still no water, no good public educational systems, still no medical facilities and nothing.
So any state executives that really wanna make a difference are able to.
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by damola1: 8:46pm On Mar 12, 2009
wink wink wink wink, A mircacle has happened in this country!!!!

I thought my children's children's children will call UP NEPA, maybe there's hope!

1 month with light, I need to leave Lagos to go and see this miracle!

UP OBASANJO for even stating this, kudos baba!!!, shebi we can see what others are doing!!!, once more, up OBJ,

KWARA GOV. is gunning for presidency, I hail you baba, u keep it up, and I will campaign for you on Nairaland,

I thought our very abled FASHOLA will beat them to it, but lets see, I am sure he won't dissapoint either,
Re: Non-stop Power Supply In Kwara State- Is It True? by toideve(m): 8:50pm On Mar 12, 2009
one of my friend traveled to kwara and just came back he told me of his experience, the poster is right. cos my friend confirmed this infact he is even planning on relocating to Kwara. i hope other state Gov. will do like wise instead of the usual PDP formula

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oil Workers Postpone Planned Strike / Atiku Represents Spirit Of June 12 – Gbenga Daniel / Olawepo-hashim Writes Inec, Seeks Further Extension Of Polls Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.