Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

After Charleston, Atheist Stands Guard Outside AME Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / After Charleston, Atheist Stands Guard Outside AME Church (917 Views)

No To Sex Outside Marriage / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / AME Zion Church To Get A New Bishop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Charleston, Atheist Stands Guard Outside AME Church by davien(m): 1:24am On Jul 22, 2015
Following the tragedy in Charleston, South Carolina, there’s understandable tension at black churches across the country as people wonder whether there will be any copycat incidents.

In Colorado, where the First A.M.E. Church in Pueblo (below) will celebrate its 140th anniversary tomorrow, one atheist is making sure the congregation can worship without worry..

After a June 20 vigil, Rev. Margaret Redmond received a call from a man who, distressed by the mass murder in Charleston, wanted to stand guard during First AME Church services.

The man, Michael Williams, also told Redmond he didn’t believe in God.

“He said, ‘Although I am an atheist, I’ll be damned if my fellow countrymen can’t worship in peace,’ ” Redmond said.

While a bit surprised by the offer, Redmond said a reference from a trusted community leader led her to take Williams seriously.

“After prayerful reflection, I felt comfortable that he was genuine,” Redmond said. “And he’s been there at every Sunday service, standing in front of the church, observing and making sure that nothing happens.”

Williams said he doesn’t see himself as a hero or savior but simply an American “who is doing his duty to his fellow man. I mean, if you can’t be safe in a church, then where in the hell can you be?”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/07/18/after-charleston-atheist-stands-guard-outside-ame-church-in-colorado-so-members-can-worship-in-peace/

1 Like

Re: After Charleston, Atheist Stands Guard Outside AME Church by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 22, 2015
if there is a paradise after death, it surely belong atheists.

2 Likes

Re: After Charleston, Atheist Stands Guard Outside AME Church by menesheh(m): 7:08am On Jul 22, 2015
I previously thought that atheists are inhuman and demon possessed sort of people. We all have impulses to either do good or bad. Branding oneself a believer don't have anything to do with empathy and sympathy we share to our fellow human or even other animal species . The popular notion that only people of faith can do good is fallacious.

Nice one

2 Likes

Re: After Charleston, Atheist Stands Guard Outside AME Church by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 22, 2015
Imagine atheist doing the work of god physically.
He like,since their god can't protect and shied them let me take up the task,This is the height of morality.

2 Likes

Re: After Charleston, Atheist Stands Guard Outside AME Church by kevoh(m): 8:51am On Jul 22, 2015
aaronson:
Imagine atheist doing the work of god physically.
He like,since their god can't protect and shied them let me take up the task,This is the height of morality.
Lol cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

.. / How, Why, And When Did Satan Fall From Heaven? / Creationism And Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.