Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) (4302 Views)

I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State / Photos: My Catfish Pond / My Catfish Farm (diary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Yommiefish(m): 8:22pm On Jul 23, 2015
Recently, I lost about 30 percent of my fishes to cannibalism. It wasn't a good experience but I hold myself responsible for negligence. This is the reason I am writing this piece. Most breeders don't know how much is been lost to cannibalism on a per minute basis. A lot of activities go on under the water that we are not aware of, and one of such activities is 'fish eating fish'. The popular proverb that says bird do not eat other bird's intestine do not hold for fish. As a matter of fact fish predates on themselves to grow. It is the best example of the survival of the fittest.

Cannibalism is a slow-killer, it is a great reducer of fish population and can lead to monumental profit loss. This is why Grading fish into groups of similar individual
sizes should be a common management practice in fish
farming. To fail to observe this is to risk running into Loss.

Apart from losses from cannibalism, there are other benefits of separating your fingerlings into similar individual sizes. These includes the following:

1. It helps to remove the fast-grower from the slow- growers. No matter how hard one try fish do not grow the same. Sorting however helps in separating and similar sizes into the same pond.

2. Sorting helps to reduce cannibalism. Like I stated earlier, fish predate on themselves to grow. It is an inevitable truth. Apart from mortalities, another factor that reduces the fish population drastically is cannibalism. Sorting, done regularly help to control your fish population greatly.

3. Sorting improves supplementary feeding efficiency. 'Different strokes for different folks'. Different sizes of fish requires different supplement. You cannot be assured that all your fishes have the required supplement except through sorting. Except you sort, the big ones keep getting bigger while the smaller ones remains the same. The reason is that the bigger ones takes advantage of the smaller ones by eating the better chunk of the feed while the smaller ones eat crumbs leaving them with a less nutritious feed.

4. It increases the accuracy of stock estimates for better monitoring and feed administration.

More soon...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by dayojags10(m): 8:26pm On Jul 23, 2015
I smell front page
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Ariyke: 8:37pm On Jul 23, 2015
Sorry for ur loss
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Yommiefish(m): 8:42pm On Jul 23, 2015
Ariyke:
Sorry for ur loss
thank you.
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by jamex93(m): 8:48pm On Jul 23, 2015
Sorry bro
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Nomzylicious(f): 8:56pm On Jul 23, 2015
Sorry bro

1 Like

Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
Eeya...Sorry brotherr, I can imagine how painful it is to lose something that you invest time and money in.

Sorry

1 Like

Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by dav8id(m): 10:32pm On Jul 23, 2015
sorry for your lost bro
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by debris: 6:04am On Jul 24, 2015
Cat fish? undecided So sorry

Titus tongue
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by baba11(m): 10:15am On Jul 24, 2015
Ehya bro,sorry...that's why it's not advisable to do fish farming on part-time basis.

I hope you can learn from this to starve off future occurrences cool
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 24, 2015
Yommiefish:
Recently, I lost about 30 percent of my fishes to cannibalism. It wasn't a good experience but I hold myself responsible for negligence. This is the reason I am writing this piece. Most breeders don't know how much is been lost to cannibalism on a per minute basis. A lot of activities go on under the water that we are not aware of, and one of such activities is 'fish eating fish'. The popular proverb that says bird do not eat other bird's intestine do not hold for fish. As a matter of fact fish predates on themselves to grow. It is the best example of the survival of the fittest.

Cannibalism is a slow-killer, it is a great reducer of fish population and can lead to monumental profit loss. This is why Grading fish into groups of similar individual
sizes should be a common management practice in fish
farming. To fail to observe this is to risk running into Loss.

Apart from losses from cannibalism, there are other benefits of separating your fingerlings into similar individual sizes. These includes the following:

1. It helps to remove the fast-grower from the slow- growers. No matter how hard one try fish do not grow the same. Sorting however helps in separating and similar sizes into the same pond.

2. Sorting helps to reduce cannibalism. Like I stated earlier, fish predate on themselves to grow. It is an inevitable truth. Apart from mortalities, another factor that reduces the fish population drastically is cannibalism. Sorting, done regularly help to control your fish population greatly.

3. Sorting improves supplementary feeding efficiency. 'Different strokes for different folks'. Different sizes of fish requires different supplement. You cannot be assured that all your fishes have the required supplement except through sorting. Except you sort, the big ones keep getting bigger while the smaller ones remains the same. The reason is that the bigger ones takes advantage of the smaller ones by eating the better chunk of the feed while the smaller ones eat crumbs leaving them with a less nutritious feed.

4. It increases the accuracy of stock estimates for better monitoring and feed administration.

More soon...
Nice writeup...simple and concise!!! Experience is the best teacher
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by hazyfm: 11:40am On Jul 24, 2015
so sorry.. don't give up
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Yommiefish(m): 12:02pm On Jul 24, 2015
Scanfrost:

Nice writeup...simple and concise!!! Experience is the best teacher
I appreciate!
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by wisefizz(m): 12:48pm On Jul 24, 2015
Sorry brov

Ur points are noted.....
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Mustack: 5:56am On Jul 25, 2015
Sorry for your loss bro. May almighty help you in your bussiness process akeem.
Pls what's the timing rang from day one can the sorting be done?
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Yommiefish(m): 8:00pm On Jul 25, 2015
Mustack:
Sorry for your loss bro. May almighty help you in your bussiness process akeem.
Pls what's the timing rang from day one can the sorting be done?
For fingerlings I will advice every 3 days. But for grow-out maybe 2 - 3 weeks.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Mustack: 8:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
Yommiefish:
Thanks
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by francizy(m): 7:59am On Jul 27, 2015
This is what I fear most in rearing fishes, hens, etc. The mortality rate's always bit on the high side. Sorry bro. cry
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Yommiefish(m): 3:51pm On Jul 27, 2015
francizy:
This is what I fear most in rearing fishes, hens, etc. The mortality rate's always bit on the high side. Sorry bro. cry
Tis to let others learn.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Etranshub(m): 5:57pm On Sep 13, 2015
Grow monster fish with magnificent floating fish feed #proudlynaija call michael on 08167488947 for order enquiry and delivery in the southwest and southeast region. Distributors also wanted

Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by ajikam: 10:55pm On May 14, 2016
Yommiefish:
. CALL 08179540913 TO BUY UPTO 3TONNES CATFISH
Re: How I Lost About 30% Of My Catfish (pictures) by Yommiefish(m): 8:30pm On May 15, 2016
ajikam:
. CALL 08179540913 TO BUY UPTO 3TONNES CATFISH
. What's the average weight and your location?

(1) (Reply)

Maize Buyers From Farm Needed(farm Location: Ikire And Ibadan) / Sesame Seed Cleaning Machine In Lagos / Wet Ur Farm With Irrigation Tube Now Availabe 100m For #12000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.