Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,345 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL (1055 Views)

Tok 2005 C240 Mercedes Cleanest On NL / *2007 Lexus RX 350 With Navigation*Pre-Ordered From Fhemmmy By Uzuz On NL ARRIVE / Odered A Car From jiji, am i About To be Scammed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by femmy2010(m): 9:15pm On Jul 23, 2015
[b]Recent happening on Nairaland compel me to create this thread and i hope it helps build confidence in buyers who patronize our various dealers and agents on Nairaland.
The lesser the scam cases on NL the more the patronage for genuine dealers and agents.
I have no other "Farm" yet thus here to defend and promote my trade .

I would advise Buyers and client seeking services to take the following outlined tips into consideration before you transact with any seller or service providing agent on or off Nairaland.

1 - Once you have selected the dealer or agent you want to have dealing with please take time to view his/her profile on NL .Study his/her posting on NL.
If he/she is new on the forum it doesn't mean he/she wont deliver but it means he has no antecedent to help you decide if to have the dealings with him or not.
Often times going through old posts of a seller/Dealer/Agent allow you know him/her more.His home address might just be somewhere in an old post or contacts of some relations or friends or any form of pointer to fraud.

2 - If it is too cheap to be true then it probably is not true .Should you go online and you see a dealer advertising a 2007 Camry for N1.5m when the prevailing landing cost in Nigeria is N2m aside dealer profit margin then buyers should indeed beware .
Or you see a clearing agent telling you he can clear your consignment for N200,000 when others says it is N350,000 then you need to beware too.

3 - Your intuition is your best weapon against getting conned on NL .While it's unlikely it'll happen in the first place, you'll know when you're talking to someone who makes you uncomfortable.
Chatting with the Dealer or Agent you want to use for a couple of days might be a wise decision. Thank Goodness we have Whasap,bbm etc .

4 - Make sure you get a physical Nigeria address for the Dealer/Agent .If the Dealer or Agent is not based in Nigeria he should be able to provide a physical address for his/her contact person in Nigeria .
As busy as you might be ,send someone to check the dealer's point of contact for you as this reduces the chances of your hard earned money entering "Voicemail".

5 - You will be surprised by what you get by searching the dealer's/agent's name or address or phone number or email address on www.Google.com .
Try this before having any dealing with any dealer or Agent on NL .

6 - If you are sure of the Dealer or Agent and want to have dealings with (him/her ) , then i would advise you draft and have him/her sign an agreement with you .
It doesn't always have to be physically .Can be sent via email,the dealer/Agent append his signature and emailed back to you with both parties clearly understanding that there exist an intention to enter into a legal relation should the need arise .

7 - If you ever want to do the pre- Order route then i would say pay dues for the vehicle and the shipping but not for the clearing as clearing due is only needed by your dealer/Agent a few days before arrival date of the procured vehicle(Proof of arrival in form of the Bill Of Lading/Telex Release must be shown).

My fellow Nairalanders can add more .

[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by okenwa(m): 9:22pm On Jul 23, 2015
Well done
I would also recommend us to write 'fraud' on all suspected post. Those we really know to be fraudsters

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by oliverjiad(m): 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2015
grin. Well done
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by femmy2010(m): 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2015
okenwa:
Well done
I would also recommend us to write 'fraud' on all suspected post. Those we really know to be fraudsters

Oh Yes
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by femmy2010(m): 9:54pm On Jul 23, 2015
oliverjiad:
grin. Well done

You welcome my bruva

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by tunjiano: 11:14pm On Jul 23, 2015
nice1 bro,dis r Tge things I do imagine.some will just see cheap prices nd might even want to Price again lol.there was dis post Kings posted 2007 Camry for 1.650 or thereabouts,and even d soo called car was 2010 nd I requested for the vin,he refused telling me d car is sold.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by femmy2010(m): 8:10am On Jul 24, 2015
tunjiano:
nice1 bro,dis r Tge things I do imagine.some will just see cheap prices nd might even want to Price again lol.there was dis post Kings posted 2007 Camry for 1.650 or thereabouts,and even d soo called car was 2010 nd I requested for the vin,he refused telling me d car is sold.

May God help us

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by chucky234(m): 9:37am On Jul 24, 2015
Femmy Femmosky well done ooo.
From my own point of view I think we're handling this issue with kid glove, the activities of miscreants like Kingautos is capable of destroying the auto section we have laboured to build over the years and thereby making it difficult for customers to trust us with their hard earned money.
Fighting this crop of scammers invading the section need more than just creating threads, we the dealers have to come together and have a common umbrella where all verified dealers will be recognised only dealers recognised by this umbrella body should be allowed to carry out any transaction with customers on the auto section.
We need Seun, the mods and everyone here to achieve this, I spoke privately with my good friend Fhemmmy yesterday and he also promised discussing the issue at hand with Seun and the mods.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by sheffyUTD(m): 9:55am On Jul 24, 2015
Good one oga Femo. Good steps. When credibility issue is raised, I think the mode should give it the necessary attention and publicity by making it sticky on the first page of Auto section until the issue is resolved so anyone visiting the section will be aware and exercise caution in dealing with the person involved.

@chuky234, good effort but I don't like the idea of 'association or umbrella' for the reason I observed on kingAutos palava. Ibadanchief alleged Fastshipping wanted the business and that's why he's Witch hunting KingAuto. True or False, let's avoid this as much as we can.

What's necessary is for intending clients to do their due diligence before they engage anyone here, and or report any foul play they observe.

Honesty and transparency is hallmark of a good business.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by Fhemmmy: 2:10pm On Jul 24, 2015
This is well appreciated and welcomed, like i told chairman Chukky, it is up to the dealers to put on the gloves to fight anyone that would want to come here and damage the auto section . . . We all need to come together and make this happen, there is little or nothing that Seun could do, the moderators might be able to help . . . There is a need to:
1. Create a thread where every suspicious thread is reported to the mod and the mod do something about it (Care must be taken however to make sure that we are not witch hunting real dealers

2. There is a need to revamp the list of reliable dealers like once done here and maybe have as a sticky to the main page

But in all, the onus is on the buyers to do a lot of homework before parting way with money.
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 25, 2015
okenwa:
Well done
Are you doctor Okenwa? smiley
Re: How To Avoid Being Scammed On NL by corneli83(m): 10:42pm On Jul 25, 2015
Excellent... Meanwhile, dealers should help potential buyers and clients by nailing posts by fraudsters. Together we stand.

(1) (Reply)

Super Clean Toks Toyota Rav4 2008 Model For Sale / Vintage Ride Here 1969 CUTLASS OLDMOBILE / Volvo PTT With Vocom 88890300 Interface, How It Works

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.