Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,536 members, 7,830,597 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo (506 Views)

Tinubu & Maryam Abacha To Commission 432 Houses, Schools, And Hospitals In Borno / Jonathan Told Me & Obasanjo He Never Wanted To Be Vice-president - Donald Duke / Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by olokfor: 9:59am On Jul 25, 2015
Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed real reasons why he allowed himself to be arrested and jailed by former military head of state, General Sanni Abacha.

Recall that the former president was among top politicians who openly stood against the administration of the late military head of state. General Sanni Abacha had however ordered their arrest, trials and sentences of these people but spared their lives due to international pressure.

Obasanjo in his newest controversial memoir, ‘My Watch’, narrated how a group, National Unity Organisation was formed. It came into existence to frustrate Abacha to leave power. Obasanjo said Abacha “was so much below average as an officer that no serious attention was paid to him until he was made to announce the coup”.

“I was not in doubt that Abacha would attempt to silence me. This was clear from his apparent ambition for life presidency of Nigeria in insatiable appetite for corruption; his looting directly from the Central Bank; his need to silence everyone that could oppose him in any form; his actions towards my close friends and associates and his close surveillance of me by his security both within and outside Nigeria.”

Also recalling how during his visit to Kenya for the funeral of the father of the opposition leader, Raila Odinga, the Nigerian Embassy officials wrote a report indicting him, stating that “since Odinga was in opposition to the government of Kenya when he died, I had gone to Kenya to create problems for the Kenyan government by supporting the opposition, and the Nigerian government should restrain me from causing great problems between Nigeria and Kenya.”

“Rumours about Abacha taking action against me started to spread and ring louder and louder. ”I had no fear because I had done nothing to cause me fear or anxiety. I was about my life and my business unperturbed.”

Recall that business mogul and politician, Chief Moshood Kashimawo Abiola, popularly known as MKO, who was part of the opposition party died amidst the brouhaha. Just recently, MKO Abiola’s daughter, Hafsat Abiola-Costello, said that her father sacrificed all for the nation at the expense of the suffering of his family.

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/07/why-i-allowed-abacha-to-arrest-me.html

cc: lalasticlala ishilove
Re: Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by olokfor: 9:59am On Jul 25, 2015
Re: Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by MosakuAW(m): 10:00am On Jul 25, 2015
The article never said anything concerning the topic.
Re: Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by topearos(m): 10:00am On Jul 25, 2015
Awwww!
Re: Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by odinese(m): 10:08am On Jul 25, 2015
Interesting
Re: Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by odinese(m): 10:08am On Jul 25, 2015
topearos:
Awwww!
Did u read it?
Re: Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 25, 2015
IS THIS NOT WHY OUR YOUTHS ALWAYS PERFORM BADLY IN SCHOOL?
WHY WAS OBJ ARRESTED? WHY DID HE ALLOW ABACHA TO ARREST HIM?
ADDRESS THESE QUESTIONS ANDSTOP FOOOLING URSEF...
Re: Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo by topearos(m): 10:23am On Jul 25, 2015
odinese:

Did u read it?
. Why asking?

(1) (Reply)

Enugu Residents Repair Their Own Roads / Buharism: Nigeria’s Revenue rises For Second Consecutive month / How To Check Your Eligibility And The School Jamb Redirected You To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.