Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,585 members, 7,812,912 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Dickson Cancels Ex-militants’ Meeting As MEND Dumps Tompolo - PUNCH - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dickson Cancels Ex-militants’ Meeting As MEND Dumps Tompolo - PUNCH (603 Views)

Charles Okah, Kanu May Be Freed As MEND, FG Strike Deal To End N-delta Crisis / N’delta Govs Beg Tompolo To Shelve Ex- Militants’ Meeting / We Won’t Stop Ex-militants’ Meeting –presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dickson Cancels Ex-militants’ Meeting As MEND Dumps Tompolo - PUNCH by dustmalik: 1:56pm On Jul 25, 2015
Bayelsa State Governor, Mr. Seriake Dickson, on Friday cancelled the proposed meeting of ex-militant leaders in the Niger Delta called by the leader of the defunct Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, Chief Government Ekpemupolo, aka Tompolo.

The meeting was earlier scheduled for Saturday (today) in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital.

But Dickson, in a statement on Friday by his media aide, Mr. Daniel Iworiso-Markson, said that the governor would meet with the ex-militants in no distant time.

The governor said he would discuss with the ex-militant leaders issues that affected them and the nation as a whole.

He, therefore, called for the understanding and cooperation of all concerned.

A source, who spoke under the condition of anonymity, said many former militants had expressed interest in the meeting called by Dickson.

Tompolo had summoned leaders of the various wings of the militant group to an emergency meeting in Yenagoa on Saturday.

Though, he did not state the agenda of the meeting, Tompolo said the gathering was important.

He had said, “My dearly beloved commanders and leaders of various wings of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, I greet you all. It is my pleasure to humbly invite you to a very crucial and urgent meeting.”

Bur MEND dissociated itself from the purported meeting.

MEND, in a statement by its spokesperson, Jomo Gbomo, described the planned meeting as an assembly of dubious contractors and disgruntled elements.

It said those calling for the meeting were reacting on behalf of oil thieves and corrupt public officials.

The group, however, restated its support for President Muhammadu Buhari’s efforts to probe the immediate past administration.

Similarly, a group under the aegis of the National Coalition of Niger Delta Ex-Agitators called on its 12,000 members and others to shun Tompolo’s meeting.

The NCNDE President, Israel Akpodoro, told one of our correspondents in Abuja that the meeting is laced with mischief and bad intentions.

He said, “That meeting was convened by ex-militants loyal to some senior citizens in the previous administration. Although all the ‘Commanders’ and ‘Generals’ were invited, we are not party to that because the meeting is to instigate crisis. I have therefore directed my 12,000 members to shun the meeting.

“If the meeting is for good, I don’t have any problem with it, but I have come to realise that the meeting has mischievous intentions to cause trouble for the present government. I advise my members and other ex-Niger Delta agitators not to attend the meeting in their own interest.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/dickson-cancels-ex-militants-meeting-as-mend-dumps-tompolo/
Re: Dickson Cancels Ex-militants’ Meeting As MEND Dumps Tompolo - PUNCH by madridguy(m): 1:58pm On Jul 25, 2015
And this year Peace award goes to Mr. Seriake Dickson for not supporting any form of militancy in his state. CHANGE is everywhere.
Re: Dickson Cancels Ex-militants’ Meeting As MEND Dumps Tompolo - PUNCH by Ezemarcel(m): 1:59pm On Jul 25, 2015
Re: Dickson Cancels Ex-militants’ Meeting As MEND Dumps Tompolo - PUNCH by abdul4new(m): 2:02pm On Jul 25, 2015
Alright these militants ehh, brigades don change hand oh make una no fumble, this administration no go take am easy with any lawlessness in any form
Re: Dickson Cancels Ex-militants’ Meeting As MEND Dumps Tompolo - PUNCH by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 25, 2015
Hmmmm. some body should warn these Militants to be very careful PMB is a no nonsense man o.

(1) (Reply)

Unpaid Salaries: Imo Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today- Vanguard / President Buhari Arrives Cameroon [PHOTO] / The Saraki You May Not Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.