Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,673 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? (1088 Views)

Join Other Programmers / Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know / What Do Programmers Do In Airports?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by DonSegmond(m): 6:50pm On Jul 25, 2015
How many other programmers do you personally know in real life? I know about 30.
Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by Fulaman198(m): 8:38pm On Jul 25, 2015
DonSegmond:
How many other programmers do you personally know in real life? I know about 30.

I know quite a bit as well. If you studied an engineering course related to computers at the university level (computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, etc) you should know more.
Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by thewebcraft(m): 9:11pm On Jul 25, 2015
DonSegmond:
About 500+

1 Like

Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by DonSegmond(m): 11:10pm On Jul 25, 2015
Fulaman198:

I know quite a bit as well. If you studied an engineering course related to computers at the university level (computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, etc) you should know more.
Just because someone studied something doesn't mean that they are qualified, I know many people who studied CS and even can program, but I don't consider them programmers. I mean really programmers who have ability to actually program and solve real world problems.
Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by Fulaman198(m): 2:28am On Jul 26, 2015
DonSegmond:

Just because someone studied something doesn't mean that they are qualified, I know many people who studied CS and even can program, but I don't consider them programmers. I mean really programmers who have ability to actually program and solve real world problems.

Unless they didn't go to a good school, The essence of Software Engineering and Computer Science is being able to write a programme to solve a difficult problem. That's what Universities teach. Most people who study C.S. and obtain a Bachelor's or higher in C.S. have to go through this for 4 years.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 26, 2015
Fulaman198:

Unless they didn't go to a good school, The essence of Software Engineering and Computer Science is being able to write a programme to solve a difficult problem. That's what Universities teach. Most people who study C.S. and obtain a Bachelor's or higher in C.S. have to go through this for 4 years.

I actually concur with this, it's a reason I study CS topic regularly as someone who didn't study it, it exposes me to alot of benefits, sometimes most codes written don't have speed efficiency in mind, double the item to their function and it will take twice the amount of time to run. which is why i feel CS is important esp for those of us who didn't take it as a course. MIT Openwave courses solves that luckily, people should give it a try.

1 Like

Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by Fulaman198(m): 5:55pm On Jul 26, 2015
pcguru1:

I actually concur with this, it's a reason I study CS topic regularly as someone who didn't study it, it exposes me to alot of benefits, sometimes most codes written don't have speed efficiency in mind, double the item to their function and it will take twice the amount of time to run. which is why i feel CS is important esp for those of us who didn't take it as a course. MIT Openwave courses solves that luckily, people should give it a try.

Good stuff, take a look at Stanford courses as well they are just as good as MIT. Both are exceptional.

1 Like

Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
Fulaman198:

Spot on. Unfortunately, the decline in interest is majorly the reason we have got few programmers after university. Another reason is why decline in interest?. one may now begin to drill down to causes like

1. Poor resources(lecturers) - you cant give what you dont have
2. Lack of facility/platform - is there a computer lab?. is there support for startups or incubators for ideas?
3. Laziness - Peeps generally would prefer chilling with less tasking jobs
and lots more.

Though we have always known all these issues but due to me being too passionate about this issue of this 'national' prejudice to programming profession, I cant just stop dropping one or two comments when its being discussed.

#AllIGat

2 Likes

Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by Fulaman198(m): 5:49am On Jul 29, 2015
princehb:

Spot on. Unfortunately, the decline in interest is majorly the reason we have got few programmers after university. Another reason is why decline in interest?. one may now begin to drill down to causes like

1. Poor resources(lecturers) - you cant give what you dont have
2. Lack of facility/platform - is there a computer lab?. is there support for startups or incubators for ideas?
3. Laziness - Peeps generally would prefer chilling with less tasking jobs
and lots more.

Though we have always known all these issues but due to me being too passionate about this issue of this 'national' prejudice to programming profession, I cant just stop dropping one or two comments when its being discussed.

#AllIGat

Very well said
Re: How Many Other Programmers Do You Personally Know? by mcp123: 7:30am On Jul 29, 2015
I know litter C HTML ASP. But I almost forgotten them all.

(1) (Reply)

Google Parners With Udacity To Provide Android Programming Course For Beginners / Vacancy At Procrea8 Technology Solutions Limited / Need A Programming Tutor In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.