Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,822 members, 7,817,399 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Military Invasion Of Ijaw House - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Invasion Of Ijaw House (731 Views)

Burial Of IPOB Member Killed In Abia During Military Invasion (Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu's House After Military Invasion In Umuahia (Photos) / Oweilaemi Pereotubo, The President Of Ijaw Youths Visits Asari Dokubo, Tom Ateke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by hary4luv(m): 1:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
The umbrella body of Ijaw youths worldwide, the Ijaw Youth Council, has condemned the military siege to the Ijaw House in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, venue of a cancelled meeting called by ex-militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo, alias Tompolo. The Ijaw (Izon) House is a symbol of the Ijaw ethnic nationality as it serves as the administrative headquarters of the Ijaw National Congress, IYC, and accommodates the Bayelsa State Ministry of Ijaw National Affairs and Culture. Following the announcement of ex-militant leaders’ meeting at the House, a combined team of military and police officers in the early hours of Friday invaded and took over the building and its environs to prevent the meeting from taking place on Saturday. The Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, had earlier cancelled the meeting called by Tompolo, former leader of the defunct Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta. The Bayelsa Governor had said he would convene a meeting with the ex-agitators in no distant time to discuss issues affecting the Niger Delta and the whole country. Reacting to the military siege, the IYC, in a statement by its spokesman, Eric Omare, said the development was illegal, unconstitutional and a sad reminder of the dark days of the military dictatorship, where Nigerians were deprived of their fundamental rights. The group said, “The IYC wishes to remind the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari that we are in a constitutional democracy where things are done according to law. “The 1999 Constitution, which is the foundation upon which our democracy is built, recognises the right to freedom of assembly and movement. “The Niger Delta people, whether as ex-agitators or youth groups, have the right to assembly in a meeting and free movement. “Since Friday, July 24, 2015, all officers and administrative staff of the INC and IYC, including Bayelsa State civil servants under the Bayelsa State Ministry of Ijaw National Affairs and Culture, have been denied access to the premises. “This is a threat to our nascent democracy. Democracy is not only about having rice and beans to eat but the enjoyment of basic and fundamental rights which are enshrined and guaranteed in the constitution. The fears of many Nigerians that Buhari would take Nigeria back to the dark days of dictatorship, where there is no regard for human rights, are coming to reality”. The IYC said it would take legal action to address the violation, noting that whether the president liked it or not, the Niger Delta people would meet t

1 Like

Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by Omololu007(m): 1:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
grin
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by coolestrogue(m): 1:39pm On Jul 26, 2015
Any attempt by the military of PMB to humiliate our people will be resisted. We are going to burn down every oil installation, and bring the Nigeria economy to its knees. I wonder how the old man is going to run this country when production is stopped for 1 months, given the fall in price of oil
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by feedburna: 1:39pm On Jul 26, 2015
all these FTC above me grin

"Zoo military takes over...." is a better caption. why do u think we r calling for Biafra? in the damn zoological damnation, u r not free simple.
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:40pm On Jul 26, 2015
I'm representing IntroSweetie
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by feedburna: 1:45pm On Jul 26, 2015
coolestrogue:
Any attempt by the military of PMB to humiliate our people will be resisted. We are going to burn down every oil installation, and bring the Nigeria economy to its knees. I wonder how the old man is going to run this country when production is stopped for 1 months, given the fall in price of oil

my worries is that MEND is weak n divided.
do u think they can do that?
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by coolestrogue(m): 1:50pm On Jul 26, 2015
feedburna:

my worries is that MEND is weak n divided.
do u think they can do that?
As long as the Nigeria economy and budget is pegged on oil, any attempt by any old man to misbehave will be at the detriment of this zoo. No life will be lost, strategic areas will be targeted to ensure that no single drop of oil is lifted from our region, for one full month. Then, they will understand the need not to spit on our face.
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by omolami: 2:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
BUHARI, BUHARI, BUHARI HOW MANU TIMES DID I CALL YOU? YOU HAVE STARTED BADLY WITH IYC BY DEPRIVING THEM OF THEIR LEGAL ASSEMBLAGE. YOU MUST APOLOGISE. I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT SOON YOU WILL REGRET THIS. I HAVE SAID THIS SEVERALLY THAT PMB NEEDS TO ATTEND NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC INSTITUTE FOR AT LEAST FOR 2 MONTHS DURATION FOR REORIENTATION. HE CAN'T CONTINUE LIKE MUMU THAT WE KNOW
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by feedburna: 2:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
coolestrogue:

As long as the Nigeria economy and budget is pegged on oil, any attempt by any old man to misbehave will be at the detriment of this zoo. No life will be lost, strategic areas will be targeted to ensure that no single drop of oil is lifted from our region, for one full month. Then, they will understand the need not to spit on our face.

I wish MEND can organise themselves n act. I Dont believe they r that powerful again because their leaders hv tasted money. we need change of guard at MEND.
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
j
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by babyfaceafrica: 2:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
feedburna:

I wish MEND can organise themselves n act. I Dont believe they r that powerful again because their leaders hv tasted money. we need change of guard at MEND.
you get sense!!...the leaders of MEND hve tasted money and will want more..they are not has committed to the needs of niger delta has they av once were!!
Re: Military Invasion Of Ijaw House by seunny4lif(m): 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2015
grin

(1) (Reply)

Pump Price Hike: DSS Takes Over Monitoring Of Fuel Distribution / Just In! Fifa Presidency : Peterside Drums Support For Kalu / PHOTOS: Lagos Ibadan Expressway In Traffic Mess Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.