Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls (63505 Views)

She Has Been Menstruating For Over 2 Weeks, Please Help! / (HEALTH) 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls / 10 Watermelon Facts That Might Surprise You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Giftedgreen: 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2015
A lot of people think it’s weird to talk about periods, but not us. Menstrual cycles are part of our biology, just like the nervous system or the billions of cells that make up our bodies.

Periods has been ignored by the society so much that most girls are left to find out about their bodies on their own. Here are 10 little known facts about menstruation – and the science behind them.

1. Menstruating makes you hornier

The hormone progesterone is said to lower a woman’s libido. Yet while menstruating women produce less progesterone, which makes them likelier to crave sex during this phase.

2. And less attractive to men

A man’s testosterone levels are directly affected by a woman’s scent, which changes during a menstrual cycle.

One study where men sniffed the T-shirts of women who were ovulating showed the men’s testosterone levels spike, while testosterone decreased when they sniffed T-shirts of women who weren’t ovulating.

Another study showed that strippers make twice as much in tips when they’re ovulating than when they’re on their period.

3. In the olden days, girls didn’t used to get their period until around 16 or 17

Right now, the age of 12 is an average launching pad for a girl and her period pads. She will continue menstruating until around age 50.

In the 1800s, the average girl did not get her first period until well into her teens. It is thought that girls reach puberty earlier these days due to a combination of better nutrition and increased stress.

4. Your periods isn’t just blood

You can tell just by looking – if you cut your finger, the blood appears different from what shows up in your underwear. That’s because what comes out during a period is actually the lining of the uterus, a mixture of blood and tissue.

Your body builds up the lining of your uterus each cycle in preparation for potential pregnancy. But if an egg isn’t fertilized by a sperm, the thickened lining of the uterus is shed through the vagina. This is your period.

5. Your period can change your voice

One study published in the journal Ethology claimed that men who listened to recordings of women’s voices were generally able to tell which women were menstruating.

One would assume that their tone while menstruating was slightly more menacing than normal.

6. You can get pregnant on your period

It’s unlikely, but still possible, since sperm can stay alive inside the vagina for up to a week. The risk of pregnancy is highest when having sex during the end of one’s menstrual cycle.

7. Your body mimics the symptoms of pregnancy in the days leading to your period

In the days leading up menstruate, your body secretes hormones that cause irritability, feeling bloated, acne, and fluid retention—which are precisely the same symptoms one experiences during pregnancy.

8. You think more like a man when you’re menstruating

Lowered estrogen levels during menstruation may actually enhance a woman’s “male cognitive skills,” lending a temporary cognitive advantage in areas such as spatial thinking.

9. You may bleed form other places than your vagina

In a very rare and a little scary medical condition known as “vicarious menstruation,” women on their period may also harmlessly bleed from their mouth, ears, lungs, nose, eyes, and skin. It is not known exactly why this happens, only that it does.

10. You need body fat in order to menstruate

If your body fat plummets below 8-12%, your period will abruptly cease, if it ever began at all. Fat cells are correlated with a woman’s estrogen levels and are thus necessary in both menstruation and procreation.

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2015/07/27/10-little-known-facts-about-menstruating-that-might-surprise-some-girls/

49 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by HungerBAD: 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2015
That number 9 is Scary.

That number 8? She thinks like a man?no wonder women are generally smarter after their periods, them no even dey borrow their bobo money again then.

Not fair.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by INTROVERT(f): 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2015
HungerBAD:

what's your bizns here

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by misreal(m): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2015
Frontpage
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by ApcSucks: 1:12pm On Jul 27, 2015
INTROVERT:

what's your bizns here

Eeeewwwww

2 Likes

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by redgem(f): 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2015
immediately after menstruation you will be so Hot even more than ovulation period..

Haven't seen anyone one, read or heard of no 9...this my first time reading such

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by ademiD(f): 3:02pm On Jul 27, 2015
noted.....
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Bukkiminat(f): 3:07pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ok, we av heard
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Sweetyie(f): 4:09pm On Jul 27, 2015
This one is strong oh
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Ishilove: 4:40pm On Jul 27, 2015
Now this is gross embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Ojestas(m): 4:41pm On Jul 27, 2015
Na ishilove dey duty today.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by deebsman1(m): 4:41pm On Jul 27, 2015
Sperm beta no dey stay up to a week

3 Likes

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by DrGill(m): 4:42pm On Jul 27, 2015
hmmm cheesy..
wowww grin
Kudos to God for dis perfect piece of Creation (Women)...
nd to d OP, more Endowed nd Intelligent Women to ur disposal cool

16 Likes

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by UnknownT: 4:43pm On Jul 27, 2015
@no.1, na wetin make dis babe bin dey call me last week say belly dey pain her? I no no weda she wan make I fly cum
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by lonelydora: 4:44pm On Jul 27, 2015
If Number 8 is true. I wish all ladies menstruation throughout the year 24/7.

Edited: My saying above is just to make some ladies think aright like men and not to wish them painful and messy menstruation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by sucess001(m): 4:44pm On Jul 27, 2015
i believe the hornier part...my ex was a classique example!

5 Likes

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by viqSmallz(m): 4:44pm On Jul 27, 2015
girls de suffer...I am seeing Vincent... enyama undecidedgirls de suffer...I am seeing Vincent... enyama
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by erico2k2(m): 4:44pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ok I have learnt something new today
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
Wetin concern me? By the way, why that menses blood too dey smell? undecided undecided
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by fidet1(m): 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
11. You're in trouble if your period is missing grin grin

25 Likes

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by AINATOLULOPE: 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by shachris02: 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
utterly disgusting

2 Likes

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by realtestament(m): 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by NifemiOlu(m): 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
Wow
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by octopusfreaky(f): 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
[size=13pt]no one is soooo truee[/size]
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
N

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by sheymoni(m): 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2015
11 they get angry easily during their menstrual cycle

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2015
K

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by AwesomeRomeo: 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2015
It makes them look less attractive to men? shocked To me, menstruation is nothing, I buy the "always" and even help in washing the pants wink

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2015
HmmMmmmn
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by babyPromise(f): 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2015
hha
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 27, 2015
I respect girls sha una dey try

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

British Citizen Dies Of Coronavirus In Lagos / Sad! Photos Of Jummie,Girl Falsely Reported To Be Vomiting Blood Because Of Runs / Man Slumps And Dies While Jogging In Aba (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.