Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,901 members, 7,821,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: (3078 Views)

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. / Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: by Nobody: 11:06am On Mar 16, 2009
Just spent Sunday stripping the 1,8 20V engine and box out of a R&D B5 A4 I bought.

Trial fitted my S8 motor and S4 6-speed manual.

It fit perfectly.
I need to fabricate 2 engine mounts, but that's not an issue - I was more concerned if the engine, in terms of length, would physically fit into the bay, and still clear the front clip and firewall.

I was certainly prepared to remove the false firewall, but as it turned out, there was no need.

Am going to do all the mock-ups in this car, including getting her running on my stand alone ECU and custom harness, before transferring over to Outlaw.
I have loaded up a start-up map, will plug in my laptop, and adjust fuel trims, ignition timing once she's up and running, and enable the twin knock sensors, which are currently disabled.
Re: S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: by Carshopper(m): 11:41am On Mar 16, 2009
men, i tried to understand all what you say and i keep hitting walls, lol, my proposal go soon set, then we will give them something to talk about if all works according to plan, grin cheesy
Re: S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 16, 2009
^^^ No worries, look forward to receiving it.
Re: S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: by jubar007: 1:04am On Mar 17, 2009
siena ur d greatest, i love vw and audi cars, but ave got fear buying the auto transmission versions, cos they keep having gear box problems u knw, big ups to ur hardworking elbow
Re: S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 17, 2009
jubar007:

siena ur d greatest, i love vw and audi cars, but ave got fear buying the auto transmission versions, cos they keep having gear box problems u knw, big ups to ur hardworking elbow

The auto transmission is no less reliable than that of other cars, when properly maintained.

Most auto tranny's are manufactured by ZF, who also manufacture power steer systems.
Re: S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: by sultaan(m): 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2009
3 questions

Looking at the space left in your engine, how easy is it to get to your serpentine belt(change) in case you brake one on the tracks when its all back in place.

Talking of heat, will you have to go to a functional hood scoop, or hope lower temp in UK will keep this cool(wasn't sure if it for your S.E Asian customer)

Will your frame/chassis take the torque since it was not originally designed for this powerplant.
Re: S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 17, 2009
sultaan:

Looking at the space left in your engine, how easy is it to get to your serpentine belt(change) in case you brake one on the tracks when its all back in place.

All B5 A4's with V6 motors need the front panel to be put in "service mode" to replace serpentine belts, so no different on mine.

sultaan:

Talking of heat, will you have to go to a functional hood scoop, or hope lower temp in UK will keep this cool(wasn't sure if it for your S.E Asian customer)

I won't be fitting a hood scoop, it won't need one.
The Audi C5 RS6 has a much more packed engine bay, not a hood scoop in sight, and they cope fine. This car is mine, the blue car I'm using is one I purchased for R&grin, once I'm satisfied with all the fitting and running, I'll transfer the lot to Outlaw, my famous Inca Orange B5 RS4 Sedan.

sultaan:

Will your frame/chassis take the torque since it was not originally designed for this powerplant.

The frame on the B5 A4 quattro is the same as that of the B5 S4 2,7 Biturbo V6, (265hp) B5 RS4 2,7 Biturbo V6, (380hp) C5 RS6 4,2 Biturbo V8 (450hp) and the C5 RS6+ 4,2 Biturbo V8 (480hp).

They cope fine with the monster torque they lay down. All production cars have their chassis designed to cope with more than twice the original torque levels. The front frame on all B5 A4's are the same part numbers as those on the C5 RS6.

She'll cope fine.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Motoring Club Of Nigeria / Honda Vs Volkswagen Vs Nissan ( Nigeria Use) / Injectors Cleaning Demystified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.