Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Stop Buying Margarine As Butter;the Difference - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Stop Buying Margarine As Butter;the Difference (983 Views)

Stop Buying Groundnut Oil With Bad Odour. They Are Fake! / Unrefined SHEA-BUTTER & Virgin COCONUT OIL For Sale / Difference Between Butter And Mangerine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stop Buying Margarine As Butter;the Difference by paulabola(m): 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2015
Stop buying margarine as butter;the difference will never walk into that grocery store and just pick anyone.

Main Differences Between Butter & Margarine

1. How Butter & Margarine Are Made

Butter is made from cream which rises to the top of milk if it sits for a period of time. The process involves churning the cream, a chemical reaction takes place which makes the cream begin to solidify. It is not as simple as this but I do not want to bring in all the jibber jabber that are actually useless to you.

Margarine on the other hand is made from solidification of vegetable oil in the presence of a catalyst through a process called hydrogenation. The solidifying process begins when hydrogen is bubbled through the vegetable oil (liquid) at a high temperature and in the presence of a catalyst to solidify it.

Butter in a plate

The summary of all these is that butter is from animal source while margarine is from plant source.

2. The Price of Margarine and Butter

Butter are costlier than margarine. If you see butter and margarine of comparable quantity having the same price tag, please check very well as the butter might not be butter. Using taste as a factor might prove unproductive because the difference between butter and margarine can be very subtle, depending on manufacturers.

3. The shelf-life of Butter and Margarine

Butter and margarine have different shelf lives. Butter must be kept refrigerated in order to remain fresh for several days. Margarine should be refrigerated to maintain its solid form between uses, but it can remain stable much longer than butter.
Colour could also be a determinant as margarines are generally more yellow than butter. This test can however, not be used on its own because I have recently seen some margarines that are not as yellow as margarines used to be in the past. This is just my own observation but it could serve as the 12th player in the team when you need to make a decision.

When it comes to their nutritive value and health benefits and hazards, they both have their their good points and bad points. I will discuss it under a new topic – Butter or Margarine: Which Is Really Good For Your Health? in the nearest future.
Re: Stop Buying Margarine As Butter;the Difference by davuvid(m): 8:48pm On Jul 28, 2015
Re: Stop Buying Margarine As Butter;the Difference by beautifullll1(f): 4:55am On Jul 31, 2015
Op, I don't understand your point, which one goes well with bread?

(1) (Reply)

Power Of Coconut Water / Would You Eat This? (photo) / My New Addiction.... Supplier Needed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.