Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Celebration Galore At Oyo Govt Secretariat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Celebration Galore At Oyo Govt Secretariat (798 Views)

Photos Of Ayedire Local Government Secretariat In State Of Osun / See Action Governor Fayose Fishing Our Late Comers In Govt Secretariat / Ogun Govt Secretariat On Fire, 7 Vehicles Burnt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Celebration Galore At Oyo Govt Secretariat by moneygurl: 3:14am On Mar 18, 2009
It was celebration galore at the Oyo State Governor's Office yesterday following the electoral victory of Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala at the Court of Appeal, Ibadan as thousands of people stormed the office with wild jubilation.

The governor on the fateful day arrived his office at exactly 8:25.a.m. where he monitored the proceedings of the Court on television. He watched the judgment with his wife, Mrs. Olukemi Aao-Akala, the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Taofeek Arapaja and his wife, Mrs. Abiodun Arapaja.

When the judgment was being read, everywhere in the government secretariat including the governor's office was silent. A detachment of mobile policemen with one Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) and a Pick-Up Van were stationed in front of the main gate of the secretariat to maintain law and order.

Immediately the judgment was over, the governor and his deputy with their wives, commissioners, wives of commissioners, Local Government Chairmen and other top government functionaries, who had kept funereal silence broke out in joyous mood. They went straight to the Executive Chambers of the Governor's Office where they sang different songs and danced to show appreciation to God.

As he entered the Executive Chambers, the governor broke into songs of thanksgiving to God. The songs he sang included "Emi ba legberun ahon, ki n yin Olugbala , " (If I have thousands of thongs, I will use them to praise the Saviour) while the deputy governor who wore blue guinea fabrics with Yoruba traditional cap known as "Abeti Aja" was reciting: Laila ila Allahu , " (No god except God, ).

As songs of appreciation uncontrollably was permeating the atmosphere of the Governor's Office, a keyboard that has been mounted at the chambers while the judgment was going on was played to back up the songs. The governor's wife who could not hide her joy as she sang "O ti se o, baba ti se o, ohun to n bami leru, baba ti se o" (God has done it, what has been sending shivers down my spine, God has done it).

At a time, she had to remove the white cap, which her husband used to adorn his white guinea fabrics as she was singing and dancing. She waved the cap for some moments in gratitude to God before she returned it.

In his brief address, the governor described his victory as the acts of God, which no one could change. While saying that the fight has been fought and won, he averred that there was no winner and there was no loser. The highly elated Otunba Alao-Akala enjoined the opposition to join hands with his administration in order to move the state forward.

Among the early callers who joined the governor in the celebration were former governors, Kolapo Ishola and Dr. Omololu Olunloyo, Senator Kamorudeen Adedibu, former military governor of Lagos and Ogun State, General Raji Rasaki (rted), a member of Federal House of Representatives, Hon. Folake Olunloyo Oshinowo, among others.

The popular Fuji Music exponent, Alhaji Saheed Osupa entertained the large number of people that stormed the governor's office for celebration. As people were dancing, series of comments were passed such as "Ajimobi ti je gbese"( referring to the defeated All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) standard bearer, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, that he has run into debt).

The security personnel had a difficult time in controlling the multitude that came to rejoice with Otunba Alao-Akala. Few of them managed to enter the Executive Chambers during which one of the glass doors at the entrance of the waiting room that leads to the chambers was completely broken. The late strongman of Ibadan politics, Alhaji Lamidi Adedibu, was remembered by the crowd in their songs that it was the handiwork of the late political warhorse.

In Ibadan metropolis, commercial and social activities went on as usual in all of the areas visited except for policemen sighted at strategic paces conducting thorough checks for all vehicles they suspected.
In a life broadcast in Ibadan, the governor said, "Now that victory has finally come our way, I declare that there is no victor and no vanquished. The various protracted litigation were mere disagreements among brothers.

"I give glory to God and I congratulate the good people of Oyo State whose victory and resilience we are celebrating today (yesterday). As the Lord of Host said in Romans 9 verse 15: "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." We draw the conclusion that God meant this passage for us and our strength comes from there.

"The favourable verdict of today will serve as a great impetus for me to work with renewed vigour to rapidly transform Oyo State and bring dividends of democracy to our people because right now, there are no more distractions and acrimonies to contend with.

"My brothers and sisters, I seize this opportunity once again to stretch my hand of fellowship to everyone in Oyo State, including those who are aggrieved and those who may have different opinions with me in principle. The trauma of the past two years should stop. The physical psychological pains to which we have subjected our people should stop.

[b]"God did not make us leaders to foist pains and sufferings on the people we were elected to serve. We must bring succour and hope into the lives of the young and old, no matter what may be our personal aspirations. [/b]The outcome of today's (yesterday) verdict at the Appeal Court has vindicated us; our people spoke loud and clear on April 14, 2007 and the onus is now on us to prove that indeed they made the right decision with their votes."

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/mar/18/national-18-03-2009-15.htm

(1) (Reply)

. / Are Nigerians Really Studpid? / Making A Mockery Of Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.