Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,519 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade (22341 Views)

Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July / Do I Really Need An Antivirus For Windows 8.1? / Help Needed On Windows 10 Upgrade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

yes i can and it will function as usual
What is the size of your hard disk and the free space?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 8:50am On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

yes i can and it will function as usual
Okay. Head over to Microsoft's website and download Windows 10 as image file (ISO) and not as upgrade file. Infact, you can download it anywhere at this juncture even cause it should have been hosted by many sites by now. Download the ISO and upgrade, it would be hassle free that way than the Windows update thingy.

Windows updates installation sometimes gives issues. Downloading it separately would really help. Works like a charm.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 9:03am On Aug 04, 2015
all4naija:
What is the size of your hard disk and the free space?

size is 465gb and free space is 161gb
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 9:07am On Aug 04, 2015
dmcdad:

Okay. Head over to Microsoft's website and download Windows 10 as image file (ISO) and not as upgrade file. Infact, you can download it anywhere at this juncture even cause it should have been hosted by many sites by now. Download the ISO and upgrade, it would be hassle free that way than the Windows update thingy.

Windows updates installation sometimes gives issues. Downloading it separately would really help. Works like a charm.

hmm
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 9:26am On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

hmm
Can you do that?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 9:39am On Aug 04, 2015
dmcdad:

Can you do that?

i can. can i use a usb caped exactly at 4gb?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 10:00am On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

i can. can i use a usb caped exactly at 4gb?
Of course! As long as you are downloading just a version of it. But if you choose to download both 32 and 64bits versions, then you would need more than that. But, you shouldn't need more than just 32bit or 64 bits depending on what you have on your PC already (I would guess its 64bits).

What OS version (in terms of bits) do you have on your PC? 32bits or 64bits?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 10:50am On Aug 04, 2015
dmcdad:

Of course! As long as you are downloading just a version of it. But if you choose to download both 32 and 64bits versions, then you would need more than that. But, you shouldn't need more than just 32bit or 64 bits depending on what you have on your PC already (I would guess its 64bits).

64bits
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 10:53am On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

64bits
Okay. Just download the 64bit version only. Your 4GB Flash would be enough as the size is 3.12GB.

Let me know when you done. It should be smooth-sailing.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 10:55am On Aug 04, 2015
dmcdad:

cant i just download the creation too and upgrade from there, wont it work?
using a usb will be going through a lot of hassle for me
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 10:58am On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

cant i just download the creation too and upgrade from there, wont it work?
using a usb will be going through a lot of hassle for me
I never talked about using USB before. You brought USB up.

Of course with the Media Creation Tool, just download the ISO. After that, run the ISO file and you are good to go. You can use a USB Flash device if you want to do a clean install afresh, which is not the case here.

So, just download and install. No need of a USB Flash device.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 10:59am On Aug 04, 2015
dmcdad:

I never talked about using USB before. You brought USB up.

Of course with the Media Creation Tool, just download the ISO. After that, run the ISO file and you are good to go. You can use a USB Flash device if you want to do a clean install afresh, which is not the case here.

So, just download and install. No need of a USB Flash device.

alright thanks
will let you know the out come
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 11:00am On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

alright thanks
will let you know the out come
Okay.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

size is 465gb and free space is 161gb
Okay. Uninstall the anti-virus and try to do the setup again.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 6:46pm On Aug 04, 2015
dmcdad:

Okay.

Thanks it worked but my pc no longer sleep
Is it same for you?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 7:25pm On Aug 04, 2015
Ujunkem:

Thanks it worked but my pc no longer sleep
Is it same for you?
Mine sleeps whenever I put it to. Did you check on the settings? You might need to revisit the power settings. Check and revert back.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by nonny1212: 11:22pm On Aug 04, 2015
after the windows 10 update, av been unable to setup my brightness and unable to put my computer to sleep/hibernate. also, i am unable to run "need for speed most wanted". please i need help with the windows 10 enterprise
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 2:34am On Aug 05, 2015
nonny1212:
after the windows 10 update, av been unable to setup my brightness and unable to put my computer to sleep/hibernate. also, i am unable to run "need for speed most wanted". please i need help with the windows 10 enterprise
What kinda help do you need with Enterprise?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by xtervaganza(m): 6:04am On Aug 05, 2015
sniperwolf:
Can't wait to see how Microsoft will revive the dying OS
windows a dying os? Oh my god
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by nonny1212: 7:30am On Aug 05, 2015
dmcdad:

What kinda help do you need with Enterprise?
like, my brightness can't be tuned to low or high, it is just stagnant at level. There is no option of putting the computer to sleep. Whenever I try to run NFS most wanted it keeps popin an error message
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 8:39am On Aug 05, 2015
nonny1212:
like, my brightness can't be tuned to low or high, it is just stagnant at level. There is no option of putting the computer to sleep. Whenever I try to run NFS most wanted it keeps popin an error message
Did you go through your Windows settings? Because it seems you can't find it in the usual Power settings. If you go through the Windows 10 settings from the Start Menu, to personalisation, you would see where to change your desktop background, brightness, and a host of other settings.

As for the NFSMW, what is the error about? Explain...
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by xtervaganza(m): 9:09am On Aug 05, 2015
sniperwolf:

Do I have a PC? That's so dumb. Anyway it's Windows 8.1
and then you said windows is a dying os?

So who's dumb then
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by nonny1212: 9:10am On Aug 05, 2015
dmcdad:

Did you go through your Windows settings? Because it seems you can't find it in the usual Power settings. If you go through the Windows 10 settings from the Start Menu, to personalisation, you would see where to change your desktop background, brightness, and a host of other settings.

As for the NFSMW, what is the error about? Explain...
i guess its from the drivers ... the brightness cant be tuned down or high..... av done all u said about it. If u are on Whatsapp chat me with this number 08164272477
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 6:58pm On Aug 05, 2015
nonny1212:
i guess its from the drivers ... the brightness cant be tuned down or high..... av done all u said about it. If u are on Whatsapp chat me with this number 08164272477

Update will fix all that it did for me.....just search for windows through setting ,download and install
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 9:53pm On Aug 05, 2015
Ujunkem:

Update will fix all that it did for me.....just search for windows through setting ,download and install
We already fixed it. It was with the graphics driver that got updated.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by sinizia: 10:16pm On Aug 05, 2015
dmcdad:

You should do an upgrade first, then after activating it, you can then do a clean install and it would still be activated by Microsoft. The upgrade and first activation is very vital because that is what will pave the way for you doing a clean install on that same machine in the future without bothering yourself about cracks and all that for activation.

I'm using Windows 7, do i have to follow these rules before i can upgrade my windows to 10?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 10:54pm On Aug 05, 2015
sinizia:

I'm using Windows 7, do i have to follow these rules before i can upgrade my windows to 10?
Nope! Just upgrade. You are good to go with Windows 7. I would say you download the ISO file, then run the upgrade.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by sinizia: 11:09pm On Aug 05, 2015
dmcdad:

Nope! Just upgrade. You are good to go with Windows 7. I would say you download the ISO file, then run the upgrade.

Thanks. Where can i get the ISO file? A link will be helpful.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 11:49pm On Aug 05, 2015
sinizia:

Thanks. Where can i get the ISO file? A link will be helpful.
You can get it through the media creation tool provided by Microsoft on their website.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by sinizia: 7:02am On Aug 06, 2015
dmcdad:

You can get it through the media creation tool provided by Microsoft on their website.

Aite. Thanks bro. One last question.

My disk is partitioned into C and D.

C has 4 gig space remaining while D has 10 gig space remaining, can it support the upgrade or should i free up more space?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Ujunkem(f): 7:12am On Aug 06, 2015
dmcdad:

We already fixed it. It was with the graphics driver that got updated.

Alright.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 7:26am On Aug 06, 2015
sinizia:

Aite. Thanks bro. One last question.

My disk is partitioned into C and D.

C has 4 gig space remaining while D has 10 gig space remaining, can it support the upgrade or should i free up more space?
Free up more space on the drive Windows was installed. If C is your Windows drive, free up more space. And if D, do same.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Laptop Type And Specs Would Be Suitable For This Purpose? / Unlock Codes For Mtn Fastlink Needed / My Experience With Facebook Hacker (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.