Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,947 members, 7,835,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

NINJA (Traitor's Blade) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / NINJA (Traitor's Blade) (1373 Views)

Campus Ninja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 01, 2015

Copyright
©2015 by Adeyemi Ohis. Also known As ArrowAssassin.

No part of this story may be reproduced by any means without the prior permission by the author. Anyone who wishes to repost this story to any other online forum, Facebook group, blog or any other website should endeavour to acknowledge the author's identity and kindly notify the author by mailing him. God bless you all.

Japan in the 1600's

He could sense danger, it was coming for them

Shiba couldn't help looking out through the window. It was still raining heavily outside. Lightning struck here and there in the clouds. The flashes were immediately followed by the crashing of thunder. Cold creapt down his spine despite the warmth from his samurai robes, his guard shift was coming soon and he would have to do it all alone in the downpour.

The probability of the castle getting attacked by enemy ninja were higher in this kind of weather. He had survived a ninja attack before on a string of luck, he wasn't looking forward to doing it again. The word 'Ninja' was oriental for a group of stealthy spies that participated in missions ranging from information gathering to assassinations whereas the Samurai were warriors who had proper training and operated openly. Unlike the Samurai, the Ninja lacked a code of conduct and would show no mercy depending on their orders. The night was fast turning into a nightmare.

Shiba closed the window and sank into his seat in despair, there was nothing he could do now. The only source of light in the room now was a candle on the table where Shiba sat. There were two other samurai guards in the room, the heavily built Juno and the skilful Akane.

Juno was through with his shifts for the day and so had every right to be comfortable, he looked sleepy and had his head on the table. Meanwhile Akane was just warming up for his shift. Akane stood with his feet on a stool, cleaning his sword with a rag. Shiba could see Juno staring at him keenly, observing his ways. The big samurai had been monitoring Shiba's behavior, trying to read him.

"A thunderstorm in the middle of the spring, It's a bad omen to be certain. Ninjas, they thrive on this weather," said Juno after reading Shiba's body language, Shiba nodded. He was impressed at Juno's level of psychological understanding, he read his mind!

The candlelit room they were in was on one of the most secure levels of the castle. They were on the level next to the dungeon. Therefore, they knew everything that happened down there. What went in and what went out. Recently a girl was imprisoned there and subsequently the number of guard shifts increased. The Master had beefed up castle security. Maybe she was the target of the ninjas. Maybe they wanted to rescue her.

"The girl, is she one of them?" asked Shiba.

"One of whom?" asked Juno, opening his palm upwards, he didn't understand.

"You know, one of them." Juno realised that Shiba was referring to the ninjas. He shrugged his shoulders. The rumors that went round the castle were that she knew a lot about the ninjas and was going to be tortured for information. She would be killed after revealing their secrets.

"Who knows, I cannot say. One thing is for certain. Her time is shortly closing to an end. "

Juno glanced away as well if to say her fate had been sealed. There was a small pause leaving the samurai guards in deep thought. The ninjas were certainly coming to rescue her. If they came then there would be surely be a bloodbath tonight. Akane continued shining his sword and brandishing it in admiration of his handwork, he wasn't interested in the conversation for now. Juno decided to break the silence. Maybe they should share what they all knew about the ninjas, the knowledge could come in handy. Knowledge they say is enlightenment.

"So, what is it you know about them?"

"They are demons! Sent to throw Japan into eternal darkness and turmoil!" Akane the skilful began laughing at Shiba's sudden outburst. Juno looked up at him.

"Do you disagree?" Juno asked Akane.

"They are no more demons than you or I. They are nothing more than cowardice villains; who choose to hide and sneak in shadows, afraid of engaging in combat like true warriors."

"So you have seen one?"

Akane remained silent and returned to cleaning his sword. He was going to leave that question alone, maybe someone else will answer the question. A roar of thunder echoed across the castle with the droning of heavy rain. It reminded Shiba of that fateful day when he saw one. He replied without thinking twice.

"I have."

Juno lifted up an eyebrow and Akane stopped cleaning his sword, they gave him their attention.

"It was sometime ago now. When I was sent to oversee an ambush on the shogun's convoy and ensure that all ran smoothly."

"What happened?" asked Juno.

"As you know everything went originally well according to plan. The shogun's convoy was annihilated and the sword was in our possession. But two long we were left to wait. They came for us as I knew they would. Whilst lying in my bed that night I suddenly felt an overwhelming sensation of discomfort. It was as though I was being watched. A sensation I never before nor since experienced. And that's when I saw it; flying directly above me, like a giant bat; a bat with but one fang; a fang of 16 inches of cold hard steel."

Akane began to lose interest at the mention of a giant bat but Juno still seemed interested.

"What happened next?" asked Juno.

Shiba continued, his face grew sadder. "I never stood a chance. For it had paralysed me. Paralysed me by fear. I could not move to escape, nor speak to call for aid. I had no choice but to lay there and wait. Watching it hover above me. And that's when it happened."

"What?"

"It sprung its attack. Descending from the ceiling and aiming his blade straight for my torso. "

"So how did you escape?" Akane asked. To him the story was a joke, all cock and bulls. How could Shiba be here telling the story when a blade had been aimed at him, to take his life. He prepared himself to laugh at whatever explanation Shiba, his fellow samurai was going to tell next.

"Escape? There is no escape from them. He allowed me to live. For reasons unknown to me, he had spared my life. As I closed my eyes waiting for the blade to penetrate my body...I felt nothing. After but seconds had passed and I was still trying to contemplate whether or not I was still alive, I reopened my eyes. He was gone. Vanished; Disappeared as if in to thin air."

Akane began to laugh quietly, he was going to make mockery now.

"So you dream of vanishing bats?"

"This was no dream my friend. A mere dream could not have done what was done to us that night."

That night, the camp was blown up in an explosion and lot of samurai stopped breathing, but he was spared. Even Juno could attest to that.

"It is true that invisibility is a trait they are said to possess. It is also said that some of them are able to breath under water. Some are able to fly and some are said to be so powerful that they are capable of controlling the minds of others. They certainly appear to possess powers deemed by others to be supernatural." said Juno. He knew of several incredible tales that went round about the ninjas.

Akane shook his head, refusing to accept his fellow's story. He began to laugh quietly, turning to face the Juno who was huge and muscular.

"Surely a man of your stature has no fear of such ghost stories."

"I fear not, Are you afraid?" Juno asked Akane, folding his burly arms.

"Afraid? After two decades in our master's service there is very little I have not seen or experienced personally. Fear is not a trait I possess. The mere fact that I'm still alive attests to the fact that I have never been defeated in combat. And fear you ask? Fear is nothing but an ignorant state of mind."

Juno rolled his eyes and hissed. "Of course, you are the greatest samurai ever. " Akane did not seem to notice Juno's sarcasm. He continued boasting, he lifted his sword up in a display of pride. He even perform a few fencing moves with it.

"Anyway, I'm certain that if I were to see one of them, my blade would show them to be far less supernatural than rumoured."

Akane the skilful was a king when it came to bragging but most times, he had the evidence to back up his boast. He always won the majority of his fights. He was not a samurai to be taken for granted.

"indeed. A true warrior you are and your skills no man should take lightly. However every man you fought in the past has been visible. Your Training has given you the skill to time your techniques to perfection; your reflexes honed and ready to counter any attack coming your way. But now you face a new enemy; an enemy that cannot be seen; an enemy that cannot be heard; an enemy said to possess powers that men like us cannot even contemplate. In the shadows they wait, emerging without sight nor sound, killing without remorse and disappearing back to the darkness without a trace. Let me assure you my friend, supernatural powers or not, they are very real. And if you are not prepared their attack!"

Juno had barely finished speaking when they heard an almighty thud. The closed window slammed open, a gust of wind rushed in and blew out the candle throwing them into darkness. The window slammed shut preventing them from even getting moonlight. It was each man to his surroundings now.

Akane quickly reached for his sword. Juno stumbled about in the dark with his fist clenched. A chill crawled down his spine, he could hear footsteps, they stopped behind him. He imagined the figure behind him already drawing its blade. Juno closed his eyes and waited for it.

Shiba pushed him to the side and opened the window to let light in. Juno almost jumped at Shiba's push.

"It's just the wind." said Shiba, calming the fears of his fellows.

The three samurai began to laugh at each other, but most of it was directed towards Juno. They were silenced when the bell tolled for the next guard change. It was time for Shiba and Akane to take their shifts.

"I believe your presence is now required on the castle walls," said Juno, yawning. He was happy to finally get rid of his cohorts. He was going to take a nap now.

Akane sheathed his sword and hung its belt around his neck. Shiba was already geared up with two swords on his back. They began to make their way out of the room. Shiba took the lead with Akane following shortly behind.

"You my friends don't have to worry about any ninjas gaining entry to the walls. I hear that ours are said to be unclimbable." Juno said, trying to cheer them up.

Akane turned and gave Juno a false smile before exiting the room.

---/-----------

Akane stood at his watchtower from where he watched over his section of the castle walls. There was a roof over his head that prevented him from getting drenched in the rain. He looked ahead of himself but saw only darkness and then the forests. His ears tuned in to pick up any sign of distress or danger but he heard nothing strange.

All he heard was the sound of heavy rain falling against the castle and the chirping of crickets in the wall.

Juno had mentioned the level of stealth at which the ninjas operated. Akane knew he was going to need more than deep listening to detect them. He began to remember the special training he had undertaken on his way to becoming a samurai.

He calmed down and meditated, stretching his senses to their limits. He saw a shadow climbing up the wall with its bare hands. Impossible! The wall was supposed to be too smooth and crack free for climbing. The shadow was gone before he could pinch himself. Was he hallucinating?

Maybe the darkness was beginning to get to him. Fear gripped Akane and his sixth sense took over. He caught a glance of the shadow again and then it seemed to vanish into thin air. Akane realised that he was not alone and his heart began to throttle. How many were they? What could he do?

He reached for the bell to sound the alarm but quickly changed his mind, what if it turned out to be nothing? What if he had been hallucinating? His reputation for being fearless would be broken. Even Shiba would look down on him. His records would be tainted. And that to a samurai would be worse than death.

His trembling hand reached for his sword but it was too late. A bolt of lightning struck the castle wall. Akane turned around and caught a glimpse of the ninja's mask. It became dark again and the drawing of a blade could be heard. Another flash of lightning illuminated the watchtower with light.

Akane was gone.
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by damiperry(f): 7:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
Following...
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 29, 2015
Story Status - 2210 words out of an estimated 73000 words.

There's more to come @ Damiperry.

I've decided to revive this thread with my story. Let me know if I should continue.
Let's keep this story going. Read and don't forget to drop a comment. Your comments make me type more.
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by leppyj(m): 9:56pm On Aug 29, 2015
Nice story, continue bro.
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 30, 2015
leppyj:
Nice story, continue bro.
Thanks man, I will continue.

1 Like

Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by LILBIMS: 6:48pm On Sep 04, 2015
Nice work. Keep it up
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by Nobody: 6:15am On Sep 08, 2015
LILBIMS:
Nice work. Keep it up

Thanx
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by nimat158(f): 11:30am On Sep 08, 2015
WOW!
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by Nobody: 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2015
nimat158:
WOW!
wow? Don't worry, there's more to come
Re: NINJA (Traitor's Blade) by Shalomdee(f): 8:27pm On Sep 08, 2015
I was here. I read, I enjoyed it.

(1) (Reply)

My Interesting NYSC Experience / Name The Novels In This Piece / Skilled Writers Needed For Long Term Collaboration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.