Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? - Crime (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? (29557 Views)

iPolice-Hawk Eye Crime Reporting System Launched By Police To Curb Kidnapping / Nigerian Rearrested With Heroin In India While On Bail For Narcotics Offences / UK Police Has Declared A Nigerian, Gbenga Ajibade, Wanted For Fraud Offences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
jaybee3:
What positive actions can we do to raise awareness of the plight of those without a voice

Positive messages displayed on T-shirts…

Public campaign across the nation by NL volunteers

Dedicated NL volunteer team (Investigators, counsellors and lawyers) willing to respond to reported cases within a short period of time

Free banners permanently displayed on NL linked to a dedicated thread with information on how to go about reporting such incidents

NL uni students encouraged to act as ambassadors in helping to curtail the evil menace by actively engaging in educating their peers.

Ok. I just know that there are so many ideas we have not touched.
The idea of having various Anti-rape messages inscribed on T-shirts and distributed to schools from Elementary to Tertiary; instead of 'my money grows like grass', 'Alobam', 'Facebook babe', 'Mouth Gig is better than no job' and other meaningless messages people carry around..
Millions of Tee-shirts can be made and distributed, some stating the punishments for rape, some stating the effects of rape, some highlighting ways to prevent rape...
This is a business idea(for people interested in producing such shirts commercially) and Anti-rape awareness rolled in one.

Thanks Jaybee.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 04, 2015
jaybee3:

Positive messages displayed on T-shirts

Dedicated NL volunteer team (Investigators, counsellors and lawyers) willing to respond to reported cases within a short period of time

Free banners permanently displayed on NL linked to a dedicated thread with information on how to go about reporting such incidents

NL uni students encouraged to act as ambassadors in helping to curtail the evil menace by actively engaging in educating their peers.

The bolded can be achieved. And it will go a long way in furthering this course.
But Jaybee3, how?
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 5:46pm On Aug 04, 2015
standd:

The bolded can be achieved. And it will go a long way in furthering this course.
But Jaybee3, how?

We invent our own rape awareness day and ask our volunteers to wear their T-shirts and create vox pops, seminars or public concerts in their universities, neighbourhoods or work environment
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
jaybee3:

[size=14pt] We [/size] invent our own rape awareness day and ask our volunteers to wear their T-shirts and create vox pops, seminars or public concerts in their universities, neighbourhoods or work environment

The bolded is very important.
At this point, anyone who is passionate about this is 'WE' and obviously, like I said before, creating threads will no longer suffice.

Naptu2, pls I need to ask you questions.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:10pm On Aug 04, 2015
jaybee3:

We invent our own rape awareness day and ask our volunteers to wear their T-shirts and create vox pops, seminars or public concerts in their universities, neighbourhoods or work environment

Count me in ... I like this idea. Especially the awareness part of it. Did a short documentary a while ago about Female genital mutilation.

Watching and observing how this conversation evolves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 7:23pm On Aug 04, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

Count me in ... I like this idea. Especially the awareness part of it. Did a short documentary a while ago about Female genital mutilation.

You can certainly help with the vox pops

Let's do it guys

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by UjSizzle(f): 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
jaybee3:
What positive actions can we do to raise awareness of the plight of those without a voice

Positive messages displayed on Tshirts

NL uni students encouraged to act as ambassadors in helping to curtail the evil menace by actively engaging in educating their peers

Bla bla bla

I love the T-shirt idea. Beautiful!
Everything you've said is possible with proper preparations, funding and passionate participants.

Thanks booboo kiss

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 8:56pm On Aug 04, 2015
UjSizzle:

Everything you've said is possible with proper preparations, funding and passionate participants.

Thanks booboo kiss

Funding isn't necessarily the issue darl, it's more of coordination, time resources, willing volunteers and shared desire/common goal

We can only try at the end of the day but I'm sure a lot can be achieved if we stay motivated

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 04, 2015
jaybee3:

Funding isn't necessarily the issue darl, it's more of coordination, time resources, willing volunteers and shared desire/common goal
We can only try at the end of the day but I'm sure a lot can be achieved if we stay motivated
Yes!

Matthewbriggs:

Yes!

UjSizzle:

Thanks booboo kiss

Yes!

Sorry guys, I'm just excited cheesygrin

Naptu2, you got mail pls.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 06, 2015
standd:

Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

Sorry guys, I'm just excited cheesygrin

Naptu2, you got mail pls.

I can see you have got things sorted out. Above all the most important thing is AWARENESS. No child is too little to know his/her body. Let's catch them young and save our society from a range of psychological issues.

As for the sexual offenders, the government has a role to play by making accessible the list and pictures of suspected(reasonably believed) and convicted sex offenders to regulate employment with Children. Furthermore, I noticed that most Nollywood movies tend to make light of the severity of rape. We need to start boycotting the movies, the use of social media cannot be overstressed in this instance. The writer(s), the cast and crew of any movie that undermines the gravity must be publicly ridiculed and pressured to withdraw the movie and offer a public apology.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 06, 2015
oreos:

I can see you have got things sorted out. Above all the most important thing is AWARENESS. No child is too little to know his/her body. Let's catch them young and save our society from a range of psychological issues.

As for the sexual offenders, the government has a role to play by making accessible the list and pictures of suspected(reasonably believed) and convicted sex offenders to regulate employment with Children. Furthermore, I noticed that most Nollywood movies tend to make light of the severity of rape. We need to start boycotting the movies, the use of social media cannot be overstressed in this instance. The writer(s), the cast and crew of any movie that undermines the gravity must be publicly ridiculed and pressured to withdraw the movie and offer a public apology.

Thanks for your input oreos.
Things have not been sorted out, just been busy, will start posting here again soon.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:22am On Aug 07, 2015

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Benue Lecturer, Karl Kwaghger, Stabbed To Death By Unknown Armed Men (Photos) / Two Students Of IMT Enugu Jailed For Two Years For Fraud / 2 Nigerians Arrested In India For ATM Cloning. 37 Cloned Cards, Laptop Recovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.