Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,436 members, 7,823,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Who Is Responsible For An Apartment Fire. Tenant Or Landlord? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Is Responsible For An Apartment Fire. Tenant Or Landlord? (824 Views)

Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of The Country? / Eight Dead In Paris Apartment Fire - Newstac / [photo] Please Who Is Mad Here? Landlord, Tenant Or Bricklayer!!? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Responsible For An Apartment Fire. Tenant Or Landlord? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 11:19am On Aug 02, 2015
MY OPINION:

Both the tenant and the landlord have their specific responsibility in providing insurance protection (and subsequently, damages) as a result of a fire in a rental home or apartment. This means that both the tenant and the landlord have their particular responsibilities and rights when a fire occurs.

The landlord is responsible for the damages incurred by the building's structure and fixtures while the tenant on the other hand, is responsible for the damages incurred on their personal property.

That means that if there is a fire that caused damage to the structure and fixtures of the apartment, the landlord will be the one responsible for having these fixed. The tenant will go to their insurance company if they have any in an effort to recover whatever loss or damage they have with furniture, equipment, clothes and so on. But the question is how many Nigerians have renters insurance?

As for legal liability regarding on who caused the fire and the circumstances of the fire, that will be another issue.If the Tenant can prove in the court of law that the landlord was responsible for the fire (i.e. he was remiss in maintaining the apartment's electrical system and that caused the fire), the Landlord pay for the damage, as well as for the Tenant's inconvenience. This includes damaged personal possessions, lost wages, the cost of renting another house as well as additional expenses related to the need to live in an alternative living arrangement.

If the landlord is unable to prove that the Tenant was the one who caused the fire, he the Landlord is responsible for making sure that the damaged structures are repaired. This is because the landlord has the responsibility to maintain the rental unit in a condition that is considered habitable.

If the landlord can prove in the court of law that the Tenant was the one who caused the fire due to negligence (i.e. use of kerosene stoves inside the room) then the Tenant will be liability.
Re: Who Is Responsible For An Apartment Fire. Tenant Or Landlord? by kingkendrick(m): 11:25am On Aug 02, 2015
cheesy ok I believe you tongue
Re: Who Is Responsible For An Apartment Fire. Tenant Or Landlord? by holatin(m): 11:47am On Aug 02, 2015
I think its the landlord if it much

(1) (Reply)

MH370: Plane Debris On RĂ©union Island Is From Vanished Malaysia Flight. / Recruitment Of 10,000 Police Yet To Begin / Wordpress CMS Training In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.