Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,809 members, 7,831,640 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water (2010 Views)

PICS: Nigerian/Cameroonian Soldiers Share Bottled Water in Fight Against B/Haram / Dasukigate: 6 Reasons Why Jonathan Must Be Made To Break His Silence / Policewoman Carries Bottled Drink For This Lady (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sometimes, bottled water can be very convenient. But nobody can deny it’s mostly useless. Considering every house has a working water supply, and bottled water is a thousand times more expensive, it’s a miracle anyone still buys it.  However, there’s more at stake than your wallet. Here’s six reasons you should never buy bottled water.

1. It damages the environment

According to recent statistics, the UK consumes three billion litres of bottled water every year, which equates to about six billion bottles. Now imagine that in a landfill site. Despite a growing pressure to recycle, many plastic bottles just end up on rubbish heaps, or in rivers and fields, where they take years to decompose. This not only pollutes our planet, but poses a risk to wildlife, especially if they try and swallow them.

2. It doesn’t come from springs

If most water companies are to be believed, they bottle their product from natural springs, at the top of some mystical mountain. Unfortunately, they’re being a little economical with the truth. In the vast majority of cases, bottled water comes from exactly the same source as tap water. You’re just paying extra for the fancy packaging, and a nice picture of a mountain.

3. It has a huge carbon footprint

Apart from filling the countryside with plastic, the packaging and transportation of bottled water has a gigantic carbon footprint, making it doubly destructive to the environment.  By comparison, tap water is nowhere near as resource intensive.

4. It isn’t any purer than tap water

Besides the whole “natural springs” gimmick, there’s something else bottled water companies are dishonest about, and that’s how pure their product is.  According to them, it’s far cleaner than tap water. However, independent tests confirmed that bottled water contained far more bacteria, sediment and contaminants, as the regulations for tap water are far stricter. If you’re worried about pollutants, it’s far better to buy a water filter, and fill it straight from your kitchen.

5. It’s more expensive

It’s easy to trick yourself into thinking bottled water saves money, as you can re-use the bottle. In reality, it’s anywhere from 240 to 2000 times more expensive than tap water, especially if you buy it frequently.

6. It’s potentially toxic

Many bottles contain a chemical called BPA, which can leech into the water, and potentially cause developmental issues in children. Although many companies have stopped using BPA, the plastic is still packed with other dubious chemicals, which can enter the water when heated. Whilst research into these chemicals is still ongoing, some are known endocrine disruptors, so it’s advisable to limit your exposure.

http://www.mindthemunchies.com/6-reasons-you-should-never-buy-bottled-water/?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=220621&utm_term=1487155&pub_id=44&w_id=&pd_id=&link_id=220621&r_link_id=220621
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by INTROVERT(f): 5:32pm On Aug 02, 2015
so na pure water abi
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Eeser: 5:33pm On Aug 02, 2015
Ok
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by ApcSucks: 5:33pm On Aug 02, 2015
INTROVERT:
so na pure water abi

I don't knw oo
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by kossyablaze(m): 5:34pm On Aug 02, 2015
Choi and I dey drink am like WATER lol

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by donholy28(m): 5:38pm On Aug 02, 2015
So wetin we go come drink when we go hotel? or fastfood... should we eat then run out to buy pure water?

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 02, 2015
Lol m always buying bottled water ooh

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by bettercreature(m): 5:41pm On Aug 02, 2015
Nonsense
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by fatdon2(m): 5:42pm On Aug 02, 2015
donholy28:
So wetin we go come drink when we go hotel? or fastfood... should we eat then run out to buy pure water?
Ota Pia Pia
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Tolexander: 5:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sarboy:

Sometimes, bottled water can be very convenient. But nobody can deny it’s mostly useless. Considering every house has a working water supply, and bottled water is a thousand times more expensive, it’s a miracle anyone still buys it.  However, there’s more at stake than your wallet. Here’s six reasons you should never buy bottled water.

1. It damages the environment

According to recent statistics, the UK consumes three billion litres of bottled water every year, which equates to about six billion bottles. Now imagine that in a landfill site. Despite a growing pressure to recycle, many plastic bottles just end up on rubbish heaps, or in rivers and fields, where they take years to decompose. This not only pollutes our planet, but poses a risk to wildlife, especially if they try and swallow them.

2. It doesn’t come from springs

If most water companies are to be believed, they bottle their product from natural springs, at the top of some mystical mountain. Unfortunately, they’re being a little economical with the truth. In the vast majority of cases, bottled water comes from exactly the same source as tap water. You’re just paying extra for the fancy packaging, and a nice picture of a mountain.

3. It has a huge carbon footprint

Apart from filling the countryside with plastic, the packaging and transportation of bottled water has a gigantic carbon footprint, making it doubly destructive to the environment.  By comparison, tap water is nowhere near as resource intensive.

4. It isn’t any purer than tap water

Besides the whole “natural springs” gimmick, there’s something else bottled water companies are dishonest about, and that’s how pure their product is.  According to them, it’s far cleaner than tap water. However, independent tests confirmed that bottled water contained far more bacteria, sediment and contaminants, as the regulations for tap water are far stricter. If you’re worried about pollutants, it’s far better to buy a water filter, and fill it straight from your kitchen.

5. It’s more expensive

It’s easy to trick yourself into thinking bottled water saves money, as you can re-use the bottle. In reality, it’s anywhere from 240 to 2000 times more expensive than tap water, especially if you buy it frequently.

6. It’s potentially toxic

Many bottles contain a chemical called BPA, which can leech into the water, and potentially cause developmental issues in children. Although many companies have stopped using BPA, the plastic is still packed with other dubious chemicals, which can enter the water when heated. Whilst research into these chemicals is still ongoing, some are known endocrine disruptors, so it’s advisable to limit your exposure.

http://www.mindthemunchies.com/6-reasons-you-should-never-buy-bottled-water/?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=220621&utm_term=1487155&pub_id=44&w_id=&pd_id=&link_id=220621&r_link_id=220621
e be like say the OP is into sachet water business. I guess the bottle water is giving him a nightmare.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by NifemiOlu(m): 5:49pm On Aug 02, 2015
Na to dey drink Sniper remain
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Cutehector(m): 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2015
MhizDeedy:
Lol m always buying bottled water ooh
bottle water is hygenically safer tho...
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by chomytex(f): 5:56pm On Aug 02, 2015
E remain mk we no drink water at all nah.
God na ur hand we dey.
Everytin nw dey cause cancer!
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by kodded(m): 5:57pm On Aug 02, 2015
Tolexander:
e be like say the OP is into sachet water business. I guess the bottle water is giving him a nightmare.
wicked cheesy
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Young03(m): 6:01pm On Aug 02, 2015
I will continue drinking it till infiniti
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Realisticman: 6:31pm On Aug 02, 2015
I don't form big guy on anything. I just try to live my own life.
One day I was communicating with my Indian tutor on alternative medicine; he told me that a patient with terminal disease may have to combine both orthodox and alternative medicine for life. We got to discourse on the side effect to perpetually live with chemicals and its side effects in which orthodox medicine is associated with.
I laugh within me that in my country whereby we continue to battle with fake products. How then do I continue to inject fake product into my system for life.
The aim of explaining all these is that; even the good orthodox medicine have side effects let alone the fake ones.
So, let us try to live as natural as possible so that we can live a sustained life.

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2015
Cutehector:
bottle water is hygenically safer tho...

Yeah exactly

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Cutehector(m): 6:36pm On Aug 02, 2015
MhizDeedy:

Yeah exactly
so watsup, hws ur evening goin
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
Tolexander:

You are strictly on your own
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by bqlekan(m): 7:11pm On Aug 02, 2015
i agree with some points sha, but plastics are non bio-degradable, so are nylons used in packaging sachet water.
op, i beg get me scientific proofs, not all this assumptions...
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 02, 2015
Not deep enough for a change!!!
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by DaBullIT(m): 7:21pm On Aug 02, 2015
You don yarn your own
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by wheesin(m): 7:20am On Aug 03, 2015
INTROVERT:
so na pure water abi

you seriously need to get a life outside this forum... explore the world...and get a job. tongue

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by bugzbunny: 7:50am On Aug 03, 2015
Lagoon water is defnately safer
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by NifemiOlu(m): 8:04am On Aug 03, 2015
wheesin:

you seriously need to get a life outside this forum... explore the world...and get a job. tongue

Looooooooooooooooooooooooool
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Never Buy Bottled Water by Cutehector(m): 9:01pm On Aug 03, 2015
MhizDeedy:

Yeah exactly
where u banned?

(1) (Reply)

With Buhari, Our Dreams Of Nigeria May Be Coming True - Obasanjo / Happy Birthday To Akwa-ibom State At 28. / See How Nigerians In London Struggle 2 Take Selfie With Osinbajo & El-Rufai(Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.