Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel (9579 Views)

Exchange Dollar For Naira / Looking To Exchange Dollar For Naira / See The Latest Method Banks Have Now Employed To Devaluate The NAIRA (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by JAZES(m): 5:12pm On Apr 24, 2009
chaircover:

We must be one of the lucky few as we have never been deliberately short changed before. The one time that we were short changed by N200 was an error on the part of the Alhaji and when I mentioned it the next time I saw him, he apologised profusely and returned N400

First of all we only use the same person. I advise that you choose one person; 2 max and maintain a relationship with him.

We used to change money at the local airport but now we change at Festac. What we do is call this guy a few minutes before we get there tell him the amount and he has the naira equivalent ready for us so there is no hanging around. It works for us Ok and he even gives the driver "coke money" and if the kids are in the car "apple money" separate from the money he has changed.

I always believe that if you are nice to people, they are nice back in return. I also know that there is no such thing as a free dinner. If the rate sounds too good then run as fast as you can. grin

I really agree with you cos i have heard so many things about these touts on the street and i have never changed money there but rather i have just one mallam who at my call brings dollars to my office.I even know his office(opp the same airport hotel), his name is Muri.
So guys pls dont change ur moni on the street again but rather just enter their office to change your money.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by hackney(m): 5:20pm On Apr 24, 2009
None of that rubbish will ever happen at Nnamdi azikiwe int'l  airport  in Abuja or any of the surrounding hotels;never!!
You can change £10b there in the airport and nothing will disappear to anywhere.

You can literally leave your luggage in the middle of the lounge overnight and it will still be there next morning.
Unfortunately where u land depends on where ur going i know but if you are going east, better land in ABJ.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by phanthom(m): 6:09pm On Apr 24, 2009
hmm
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by ToToChoper: 6:50pm On Apr 24, 2009
------
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by aieromon(m): 7:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
I've not been unfortunate to fall into this trap but the few times i exchanged money @ alade,there was no problem.since then i only transact business with the hausas wherever i see them.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by AmAlone: 7:51pm On Apr 24, 2009
I remembered about 11-12yrs ago, I use to play same trick on my Dad though I never really find it that ambitious but kids have wants too you know The Vanity is 'Trust'I always say this: TRUST NOBODY after thet count and give you money, count again back then when I go to give him money at night. Alway there is no light. I go with a touch and as I knocked his door and as he opened I just shine the touchlight at the money I am to give him and count perfectly. Then before giving him the money I off the touch or shine it elsewhere but close not to arouse suspision and I take jus few notes out of the complete money. The process is really very fast that is as I extend my hand as I give him the money some of my fingers will be doing a seperate work to extract It was fun. That it I made a lot of money as ppl constantly come to pay for house at night and we are licensed to issue reciept. I give him the money but never complete.HELL EVERYONE WITH A BIT OF STREET CREDIBILITY DID SOMETHING.

One day it blew at my face ''NO FOOD FOR ALL OF YOU MY DAD YELLED'' I gave him N200.00 for N500.00 he complained of his missing N500.00 but said nothing about the misterious N200.00  grin grin grin grin He tought the money was stolen It was fun all the way but I had to reduce it. You see the that guy who duped denitro That wasn't me. That deed was never worked on, It was never advance, never upgraded, I never taught anyone, I never took it outside--they all die within ME
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by royalicon(m): 8:03pm On Apr 24, 2009
Thank God i dont visit them, I was about to go there on Monday April 20, 2009 but my williness to let go N500 saves me.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by domwas2(m): 9:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
Nice info,
I grew up in that location and most of them are known pple when passingby i do see them anyway they are hustler, no offence bros if u dey the room
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Epi: 9:43pm On Apr 24, 2009
@poster

Good looking out but can you explain this "You will count your money but on reaching home. WOOOOW lost N50,000 yesterday." undecided
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Igwe9(m): 10:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
hackney:

None of that rubbish will ever happen at Nnamdi azikiwe int'l  airport  in Abuja or any of the surrounding hotels;never!!
You can change £10b there in the airport and nothing will disappear to anywhere.

You can literally leave your luggage in the middle of the lounge overnight and it will still be there next morning.
Unfortunately where u land depends on where ur going i know but if you are going east, better land in ABJ.
You 're right about the crooks not operating in Abuja but leaving your bag, nay!, nay!, nay! your bag could develop wing overnight,Definitely an exaggeration.
So people, be careful. . . . Abuja na  naija also. If   ino happen at the airport, they fit track you down if the money worth the hassle though grin grin
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by darne(m): 11:09pm On Apr 24, 2009
hackney:

You can literally leave your luggage in the middle of the lounge overnight and it will still be there next morning. lipsrsealed

Fot this naija??, shocked shocked Ol boy u no go try am again for your life grin grin hahahaha
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by darne(m): 11:19pm On Apr 24, 2009
Guys, this is real happening, although i havent been duped before for all of this stuffs b`cos i dont change money for anyone and i dont have money to change cos i stay in agege and that`s where many of this hausas are from, no matter where you find them in lagos state, they will usually come to agege because thats their home, so i stay with them and i have friends that their fathers are really into BDC, so i can give out one advice, if you would take it fellas,,
a) NEVER CHANGE MONEY OUTSIDE ON THE ROADS @ ALADE MARKETS or any where if its not in a shop or office,,
b) always make sure you count your money very well and make sure it is complete before handing over your own currency,
and at the airport hotel, if you have been patronising them often, please you can still continue but just make sure you make use of this shopping mall, RODEO SHOPPING MALL it is opposite the hotel, there you would find trusted men, they have their offices and they cant do such things because i know some of them to be rich and cant do such thing to their customers and they even have businness cards, thats what i feel,. about all this,

I AM FROM A GHETTO SO I KNOW ABOUT ALL OF THIS STUFFS AND I DONT THINK THERES ANYONE IN THIS LAGOS THAT WOUD USE SUCH LOGIC FOR ME,, loll  cool cool

hackney:

shocked You can literally leave your luggage in the middle of the lounge overnight and it will still be there next morning.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin on  grin and  grin on and  grin, [/b]
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by toosoon(m): 9:17am On Apr 25, 2009
i have been lucky not to have fallen a victim maybe it is due to my approach. I have three different aboki numbers, what i do is to call and negotiate with them on phone, if price is finalised, thank God for Banks all over the places, i always tell them to meet me up at my bank closer to them, at the bank i will show them the hard currency then watch them deposit the naira equivalent into my account before i hand over the hard currency wait for them to confirm.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by serty1: 9:28am On Apr 25, 2009
its 4 real o, mine is a very pathetic story,,i went to airport hotel with ma immediate junior sista to change the money 4 her, i had this same problem of been short changed by manage to get the missing note .on getting home i gave her the money she counted it was short 42k, she just threw the money on ma face dat was all.i had to refund it, 42k felt like sheading tears
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by RichyBlacK(m): 9:31am On Apr 25, 2009
too_soon:

i have been lucky not to have fallen a victim maybe it is due to my approach. I have three different aboki numbers, what i do is to call and negotiate with them on phone, if price is finalised, thank God for Banks all over the places, i always tell them to meet me up at my bank closer to them, at the bank i will show them the hard currency then watch them deposit the naira equivalent into my account before i hand over the hard currency wait for them to confirm.

grin I like your approach! I need to know how their jazz will remove the money from your bank account. grin
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by toosoon(m): 12:20pm On Apr 25, 2009
RichyBlacK:

grin I like your approach! I need to know how their jazz will remove the money from your bank account. grin

that will never happen cuz banks normally have anti-jazz installed while building them
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by iwefactria: 12:47pm On Apr 25, 2009
too_soon:

I love this.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by boyob360: 1:13pm On Apr 25, 2009
I am new travel agent with international partnership in UK , USA, Europe. i sell E-ticket to any where in the world , i accept payment Twice after you got your ticket confirmation and print out at the Local Airline office. if you any one needed mail me your contact at bayolam2@yahoo.com , bayolam1@yahoo.com .
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by tkb417(m): 2:05pm On Apr 25, 2009
thank u guys
good one!

i only deal with mallams that i know. I call dem, they come to ma office and i change ma money.
they cant fck up cos i know their offices (like 4) in lagos.

u guys shld stop patronising all those standalone bastards!
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by na2day2(m): 7:46pm On Apr 25, 2009
@ post

men, thanks for the heads up bro, i appreciate it, naija we ney dey even try, this is disgraceful embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 25, 2009
Change your money at a freaking Bank or registered BDC and you'll avoid all these unnecessary rants.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by edgecution(m): 8:21am On Apr 26, 2009
It happened to me about 3 yrs ago just opposite Lagos Airport Hotel. The trick is that the rate will be slightly higher than the mallams. He counted the naira and handed it over to me and i decided to recount, then i noticed the cash was short of 15k , i gave him back and he counted it again , it was complete only for me to count and it was short of 14k , i got mad and threw back the money and left for Allen round about shopping complex to meet the mallams who gave me nice treat. Its a pity that the Guys doing this are YORUBAS AND IGBOS. I swear HAUSAS are honest. WARNING. Dont ever go to YORUBAS AND IGBOS to change your dollars.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by benlay(m): 10:49am On Apr 26, 2009
i have never had any experience with the Airport hotel guys but i know they are not real.
when i needed some dollars say $1000, i was recommended to go to Sulah Bureau De change a reigistered firm, even they will write down all the notes and issue u receipts, their rate is the best too. It's Sula Bureau De change-on 82, Allen Avenue,Ikeja, u could call before going too (+234 1 4975369)
Pls note i am not an agent neither do i work for them. Just tryna help in my own little way
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by LAXIST(m): 2:37pm On Apr 26, 2009
If u read all this stories, u will find out that all/most are same.
It happened to me at CMS almost opposite the cathedral church, a little further towards the CSS bookshop. I intended to change $100.

After negotiation, he handed me the naira notes, but alas, the money was not the agreed amount. I had already given him the $$$. So, in anger i said i was not interested again. He said ok, he gave me back my $$$.

I did not bother to check the $$$ very well, i now decided to go and meet mallams for an exchange, it was then i was told that the $$$ i had was fake, the colour of the $$$ had changed. I looked for those guys, but could not find them again. Omo, i wan cry. Omo, those guys are fast.

As edgecoutin rightly said most of them are YORUBAS.

I think were most make mistakes is the issue of returning the naira back for recount. One shld collect the balance from them, and count all over again before giving them the $$$.

But by and large, it is most safe to go into banks or licensed money changers to prevent fraud.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 26, 2009
it happened to a very close friend of mine. and it was inside a bank. he thought he was smart to bring them to the bank, but they were smarter, they had asked for the amount previously so they can know how much cash they were coming with. well, when they got to the bank, they ask to see the money, and then say they don.t have the complete cash on them, that they wanted to withdraw money from a nearby bank, well the handed back the five thousand dollas but it has been switched and no one saw them again. we only realised that when we went to another place to change the money. Don't transact business with anyone whose office address you don't know and don't give out your dollar till they have payed you completely wether cash or in your account. always write down your dollars number and carry it with you so you can check immediately without being told by another mallam
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by medube(m): 8:42pm On Apr 26, 2009
Unfortunately, I fell into that trap last year. I gave the guy $100 then he gave me N12,000 which he counted in front of me and then gave me to count. I counted it correct, but he said no, theres 1 missing, let me give him to count again. Then he counted and said ok correct now. I went into the room to find 5k short. When I was telling a taxi driver the next day, he said thats whats they always do and if you go back to try and challenge them, they bring out fake dollars out and start creating a scene as if you brought fake dollars. The guys sharp smiley
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by na2day2(m): 4:30am On Apr 27, 2009
medube:

Unfortunately, I fell into that trap last year. I gave the guy $100 then he gave me N12,000 which he counted in front of me and then gave me to count. I counted it correct, but he said no, theres 1 missing, let me give him to count again. Then he counted and said ok correct now. I went into the room to find 5k short. When I was telling a taxi driver the next day, he said thats whats they always do and if you go back to try and challenge them, they bring out fake dollars out and start creating a scene as if you brought fake dollars. The guys sharp smiley

i wont call that sharp, those are the kinda things that are leading us to no where
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by crescent(f): 9:33am On Apr 27, 2009
please always use mallam that has office/shop rather roadside fraudster
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by pek(m): 10:13am On Apr 27, 2009
was a naive victim twice. my wife gave me pounds to change for her. i went to alade market and got a good bargain.the guy counted the money twice and i did too.it was perfectly completed. i was happy that at least the few thousands wil be for us after she would have used the money for her project. to my surpris, the money was short by 20k. if not that she trust me, she wouldnt have believed me. the second time i lost 8k. today, i always go to a bureau de change even if there rates are lower. at least my money is safe.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by pek(m): 10:20am On Apr 27, 2009
Its a pity that the Guys doing this are YORUBAS AND IGBOS. I swear HAUSAS are honest. WARNING. Dont ever go to YORUBAS AND IGBOS to change your dollars.

lets not be tribalistic here. all the money changers in alade are all hausa or what you will call mallam.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Kabikala(m): 2:54pm On Apr 27, 2009
My experience at the Airport Hotel gate is similar to what has been mentioned severally. You count your money, it is short of one note, he insists it is complete, you return it, and he recounts it in your presence and agrees that it is short. He replaces the one note but had surreptuosly taken a bigger chunk off. You fail to recount again. My own trickster had someone nearby (who he pretended to be arguing with) who probably helped him pass off the amount.
The dupe was a Yoruba guy and I still see him every time I pass by the place.
I later found a Hausa customer who always brings the note to my office after we agree on the rate and I never had any problems with shortage or fake notes.
I had also patronized BAT inside the Airport Hotel and they are very reliable.
I will never patronize those guys outside the Airport Hotel gate again and I won't advise anyone to. Even if the money is complete, you can never be sure it is not counterfeit

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oti Ikomi Resigns As Keystone Bank MD / Nigeria’ll Begin Rice Export Next Year, Says CBN / Emefiele Elected President Of African Central Banks As Confab Ends In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.