Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,031 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon (1958 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Awka In Grand Style For Obiano Inauguration- PICTURES / Inspirational Quotes By Famous People About Been In Your 20"s / Imoka Festival 2016: The beauty of great Awka culture (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by Ofodirinwa: 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2015
What's the meaning of the name Okon. And elderly Awka Ibom man once told me that many Awka Ibom and Igbo names are the same (especially names common in the Abia area) and that there were recent changes to some names to shorten or alter them to sound less Igbo after the war and as Awka Ibom people wanted to assert their own unique identities.

What's the meaning of Okon in any of the Awka Ibom language? When I recently heard the name I wondered if it was short for Okonkwo or anything of the sort. I do see what the man was telling me in a few names, while others are totally distinct. This is written with the utmost respect and shouldn't be seen as anything but genuine inquiry.

1 Like

Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by Applaner: 6:45pm On Aug 05, 2015
op,

u wan name ur child?

u sef
Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by Phut(f): 12:56am On Aug 06, 2015
I also would like to know the meaning of Udoh and Enyeama
Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by hollywhyte: 8:56pm On Aug 07, 2015
pleass note akwa ibom shares nothing in common with igbo, Okon means night, it is given to a child that was born in the night, pls note is akwa ibom n not awka ibom
akwa ibom means large and supreme

2 Likes

Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by hollywhyte: 9:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
igbo av been tryin to claim that they own akwa ibom, were are ibibio we are not part of biafra pls igbo find ur way
Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by tpiar: 2:30am On Aug 11, 2015
it could also be the other way round.
Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by DrGroove(f): 10:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
hollywhyte:
igbo av been tryin to claim that they own akwa ibom, were are ibibio we are not part of biafra pls igbo find ur way
God bless you.They claim to own everywhere including Lagos

1 Like

Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
What is the nature of this 'claim'? Are Igbos claiming that Ibibios are Igbo, or are Igbos claiming that Ibibioland originally belonged to Igbos?

3 Likes

Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by hollywhyte: 10:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
they claim to the land and their language is the major language in akwa ibom.
Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
hollywhyte:
they claim to the land and their language is the major language in akwa ibom.

I really want to insult you but you can't make do that.

2 Likes

Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by hollywhyte: 10:18pm On Nov 29, 2015
you cant insult me that is the fact
Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by Udmaster(m): 12:28am On Nov 30, 2015
hollywhyte:
you cant insult me that is the fact
how old re u? Are u up to 16?
What is wrong with the question the op asked?

1 Like

Re: Question For Awka Ibom People About The Name Okon by ChinenyeN(m): 2:13pm On Nov 30, 2015
Anyone saying that Igbo people have been trying to claim Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom must be real dumb. That is a completely different level of ignorance that just blatantly ignores reality and history. I come from a community that borders Annang, and I've never once heard anyone trying to claim them. I am truly disappointed to hear this nonsense from a [allegedly] Cross Rivers/Akwa Ibom person.

I don't even have the words to truly describe the foolishness embedded in such a claim. Maybe it's not his fault. Nigeria has clearly done a number on his mentality that he has forgotten actual history and believes the foolishness being fed to the weak-minded masses.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

ICSN Iri-ji (new Yam) Festival 2015 / Acknowledgement In Igbo Music / Who Is The Greatest Black Man That Ever Lived

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.