Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,583 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits (2666 Views)

Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? / Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? / Ndic -three Million Nigerians Lost N18bn To Mmm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 7:10am On Aug 06, 2015
Hello, house.

Made a couple of bucks over the year, and would like to invest three million naira. After reviewing options, both online and offline, I've narrowed down to either Treasury Bills or Fixed Deposits.

I'm not too particular about returns, and I'm looking long-term, 1 year upwards. All I'm concerned with is security, and the cash maintaining same/higher real value, over the course of the investment.

Which would be advisable? Thanks.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by INTROVERT(f): 7:16am On Aug 06, 2015
aren't t bills short term :1yr downwards. depending on your bank and your rapporteur with the staff you can get good rates 6-11% for you FD
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by boboLIL(m): 7:26am On Aug 06, 2015
Give me the money make I double am for in the nxt 6months
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 8:10am On Aug 06, 2015
INTROVERT:
aren't t bills short term :1yr downwards. depending on your bank and your rapporteur with the staff you can get good rates 6-11% for you FD
Yeah, I know, I can keep re-investing if I want to keep at it.
For Fixed deposits, GTb offered 9%. T-bills btw 9-12% depending on aunction rates.

I just need more advice from others before deciding to go with one of them.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 8:12am On Aug 06, 2015
boboLIL:
Give me the money make I double am for in the nxt 6months
Not interested in undertaking any significant risk. That's why I'm sticking with just those two options.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 06, 2015
Brother, I will advice u give Stanbic a try. I visited about 4banks(gt,skye,stanbic n wema) on Monday to enquire on a fix deposit of a million for 60 n 90 days, on Stanbic offered me 9.2% others are around 6.2-6.9%.
My point, if Stanbic offered that much for a million on 90days am sure you will get a better deal for ur 3m. I don't know much about T-bill, I look forward to your findings and conclusions.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 06, 2015
I personally advice you go for T.bills cos the interest is more than that of fd and it is not tax deductable. But if you hav more infor on fg bonds, then give it a shot. No matter what they tell you about fd, you will gain more from t.bill for a yr.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 11:10am On Aug 06, 2015
Ryder306:
Brother, I will advice u give Stanbic a try. I visited about 4banks(gt,skye,stanbic n wema) on Monday to enquire on a fix deposit of a million for 60 n 90 days, on Stanbic offered me 9.2% others are around 6.2-6.9%.
My point, if Stanbic offered that much for a million on 90days am sure you will get a better deal for ur 3m. I don't know much about T-bill, I look forward to your findings and conclusions.
Thanks! I'll try to call them.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 11:13am On Aug 06, 2015
Royal155:
I personally advice you go for T.bills cos the interest is more than that of fd and it is not tax deductable. But if you hav more infor on fg bonds, then give it a shot. No matter what they tell you about fd, you will gain more from t.bill for a yr.
Oh, really, I'll have to pay tax on interest from FD? Felt the lower interest catered for that.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by nezer83: 11:55am On Aug 06, 2015
@Op TB is better than FD, you can also try out stanbic IBTC money market, spoke with them this morning and the rate is good. 12.6% daily and profit sharing is quarterly. Though am still looking out for something better.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2015
rahdio:
Hello, house.

Made a couple of bucks over the year, and would like to invest three million naira. After reviewing options, both online and offline, I've narrowed down to either Treasury Bills or Fixed Deposits.

I'm not too particular about returns, and I'm looking long-term, 1 year upwards. All I'm concerned with is security, and the cash maintaining same/higher real value, over the course of the investment.

If you are a long term investor like you said, bonds would have been better but from my research most of the coupons are less than the 365 TB rate today. If you decide on bonds, the best bet is FSDH bond that matures on October 25 2016 and pays a coupon of 14.25 slightly above the 365 day TBill
If your time horizon is longer than 1 year and for security reasons, take a look at FGN bonds. I can send you my analysis table if you want
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 06, 2015
rahdio:

Oh, really, I'll have to pay tax on interest from FD? Felt the lower interest catered for that.
Oh! You dnt knw? I think it's 10% of the interest made. Do yourself a favour and google about it to gain more knowledge.
When i was looking for where to invest my idea fund last year, my account officer was trying to woo me into investing in fd, but being that i know what i wanted, i told him that t.bill or fg bond is what i needed.

3m can give you very good return and you can get your interest upfront.

1 Like

Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2015
Royal155:
Oh! You dnt knw? I think it's 10% of the interest made. Do yourself a favour and google about it to gain more knowledge.
When i was looking for where to invest my idea fund last year, my account officer was trying to woo me into investing in fd, but being that i know what i wanted, i told him that t.bill or fg bond is what i needed.

3m can give you very good return and you can get your interest upfront.
Thanks.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by Cocolatti(m): 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2015
you can also try out stanbic IBTC money market, spoke with them this morning and the rate is good. 12.6% daily and profit sharing is quarterly. Though am still looking out for something better. I have some 200k idle fund and am interested in this Stanbic IBTC money market. Is 200k enough and what is the possible quarterly return on this amount?
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 2:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
nezer83:
@Op TB is better than FD, you can also try out stanbic IBTC money market, spoke with them this morning and the rate is good. 12.6% daily and profit sharing is quarterly. Though am still looking out for something better.
Interesting. Checking it out now. Thanks.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2015
NairaQuest:

If you are a long term investor like you said, bonds would have been better but from my research most of the coupons are less than the 365 TB rate today. If you decide on bonds, the best bet is FSDH bond that matures on October 25 2016 and pays a coupon of 14.25 slightly above the 365 day TBill
If your time horizon is longer than 1 year and for security reasons, take a look at FGN bonds. I can send you my analysis table if you want
Yeah, I missed out on the last aunction for FGN bonds. Checking FSDH now. Thanks.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by ednut1(m): 7:47pm On Aug 22, 2015
Cocolatti:
you can also try out stanbic IBTC money market, spoke with them this morning and the rate is good. 12.6% daily and profit sharing is quarterly. Though am still looking out for something better. I have some 200k idle fund and am interested in this Stanbic IBTC money market. Is 200k enough and what is the possible quarterly return on this amount?
around 6k quarterly
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by ceeteed(m): 10:59pm On Aug 22, 2015
It is good to think risk less investments. But if your horizon of sterilizing the fund is more than one year then it is good to be open to education on other investment opportunity that could return more than the max of 15 per cent that fixed andoney market can do. Ignorance of what works in other investment arena is what prevents UA from doing good returns from them .if you would like to know more about this let me know.
rahdio:
Hello, house.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by rahdio: 9:08am On Aug 23, 2015
ceeteed:
It is good to think risk less investments. But if your horizon of sterilizing the fund is more than one year then it is good to be open to education on other investment opportunity that could return more than the max of 15 per cent that fixed andoney market can do. Ignorance of what works in other investment arena is what prevents UA from doing good returns from them .if you would like to know more about this let me know.

Yeah, I'd like to know. Post here, please.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by ednut1(m): 9:51am On Aug 23, 2015
rahdio:

Yeah, I'd like to know. Post here, please.
also waiting to learn grin bt trust me he wont put it here cos .......
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by davide470(m): 12:34pm On Aug 23, 2015
rahdio:

Yeah, I missed out on the last aunction for FGN bonds. Checking FSDH now. Thanks.
The next auction for FGN bonds is next month (12 Sept), though its a 2020 bond, but the last auction saw bids of 15.2% getting filled up.

You won't get that with T-bills.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by ceeteed(m): 4:43pm On Aug 23, 2015
ednut1:
also waiting to learn grin bt trust me he wont put it here cos .......
The present economic realities in both the national and individual space is challenging as it is tasking.

There are basically about 5 vehicles for capital formation or wealth generation as is more commonly called.

All of them shares similar attributes like time to wait,deliberate strive for Education on dynamics, and above all level of risk one is ready to take in driving towards once objectives.

Of the 5 vehicles known to man presently fixed and money market has the least of risk & a pegged ROI of like max 15% p.a and requires next to nothing investment of time for one's education.hence I would say should be embraced at old age and in once retirement.

The second I play in and which I would recommend Under guidance is capital market investment.
The yield here is multi dimensional as it could be rewarding based on understanding of associated risks,timing and necessary planning of the investment objective with an experienced mentor.
Some of the benefits here are:
Income yield (dividend)that could range from 6 to 15 % depending on timing of investment.

Another is capital appreciation that could be also very interesting and dwarf what a FD could yield

The third is the leverage of expansion possible using this type of investment as the underlying asset.

All these are possible with a proper understanding of the asset class, associated risks, readiness to learn and pay ones due,patience to wait out the investment to good harvest and above all partnering with an experience mentor that will show the way.

I am available to guide with my years of experience in this area.

Thank you.
Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by freeman67: 7:56pm On Aug 23, 2015
if you want to invest more than 1 year your best bet ahould be FG bond.. If not just go for 365 days tbills..
forget about all the marketers shouting stabicibtc this or that ooo. they said so about their master card that it was 199 on this forum and I went to process a mastercard for an account I had with them but neva wanted to use a card only to be debited N212-$1 on my first transaction and N217-1$ on the second transaction with the card. Nothing t different than what I was getting from Diamond and not too diffrent f from GTB
I also saw a bond advert on their. notice board for august 2015-2016 and after indicating interest and my money was taken into custody I was called back somedays later that Its not possible again..

1 Like

Re: Three Million: Treasury Bills Or Fixed Deposits by blenko: 2:31pm On Aug 25, 2015
Treasury bills is what u need.

(1) (Reply)

PAYONEER, SKRILL & BITCOIN SALES ETC? WE BUY! ALL WALLETS! / Earn 10% to 20% Of Your Capital Monthly Very Safe / How Do I Access My Cscs Acct. Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.