Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Hiroshima Marks 70years Since Atomic Bomb. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Hiroshima Marks 70years Since Atomic Bomb. (358 Views)

President Barack Obama Makes Historic Visit To Hiroshima, Honors Victims Of The / Fans Blasted Uche Ogbodo For Flaunting Her Boobs With Stretch Marks / 70 YEARS AGO TODAY What It Was Like On The Ground During The Hiroshima Bombing, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hiroshima Marks 70years Since Atomic Bomb. by elfico(m): 9:16am On Aug 06, 2015
Bells tolled and thousands bowed their heads in prayer in Hiroshima at ceremonies in the Japanese city marking the 70th anniversary of the world's first atomic bombing.
On Thursday at 8.15am (23:15 GMT, Wednesday), the exact time when the bomb dropped by the US B-29 aircraft, the Enola Gay, exploded on August 6, 1945, the crowd stood for a moment of silence.
In the heavy summer heat, cicadas shrilled, the Peace Bell rang and hundreds of doves were released into the sky. Many of those gathered for the ceremony renewed their calls for peace, while survivors recalled agonising memories that continue to haunt them 70 years on.
Eighty-nine year old Keigo Miyagawa spoke to Al Jazeera of the terror and the trauma his 19-year-old self went through.
"It felt like lightning. I saw this strong flash, and it was followed by this sound, and it swept me off my feet. I lost consciousness", he recalled. "When I woke up...I was injured and bleeding."
For the last five decades, Miyagawa has been committing images imprisoned in his mind to canvas. The Hiroshima bombing, which killed 140,000 by the end of the year, was followed three days later by the bombing of Nagasaki on August 9, which killed about 40,000 instantly. The war ended on August 15. The effects of the bomb blast outlived its survivors.
The cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki became known for cancers, premature births and malformed babies.
About 90 percent of the city was destroyed, which is why it looks so new today. The US demonstrated unprecedented power when it dropped the atomic bombs. Days later, Japan surrendered and World War II was over.
The bombings remain the only use of nuclear weapons for warfare in history.
Seventy years on, many with memories of the war and its aftermath are scathing about Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s efforts to pass security bills that could send troops into conflict for the first time since World War Two, sparking massive protests around the country.
Critics who see the measures as a derailment of Japan's pacifist constitution lambasted Abe at a meeting after the commemoration ceremony. Abe said the legislation was essential to ensure Japan's safety.

Source: Aljazeera
Re: Hiroshima Marks 70years Since Atomic Bomb. by Folabimi(m): 9:24am On Aug 06, 2015
Hmm, war no easy o and some people wil b preaching violence without knowing it consequence
Re: Hiroshima Marks 70years Since Atomic Bomb. by Papasmal(m): 9:38am On Aug 06, 2015
K

(1) (Reply)

Kindly Igore All My Post! / Comparison Between Nairaland And Instagram / How To Share Your Iphone Screen On A Mac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.