Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,386 members, 7,812,140 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

New Igbo Language Flag - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / New Igbo Language Flag (2909 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Coining New Igbo Terminology For The Modern Day / New Igbo Words In Nsibidi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Igbo Language Flag by odensibiri: 7:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
via Facebook - Nsibiri:

I made a flag for the Igbo language. The four crosses represent speech from nsibidi motifs, they are four representing Igbo spoken on all four corners of the world/universe. The third raised cross represents the individual and in extension individual/unique dialects of Igbo. The green represent life and posterity, and also symbolic of the colour of omu (tender palm fronds), therefore sacredness, as in, upholding the language. The white represents neutrality and community.

I'm thinking this could be the flag an Igbo language academy down the road. I generally see the Igbo language as separate from ethnic alliances or politics. Ratio is 1:2.

nsibiri..co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Nsibiri
Re: New Igbo Language Flag by cheruv: 8:12pm On Aug 06, 2015
But the Biafran flag is used to represent everything Igbo on the net..isn't better to modify the flag than bringing something new?
Re: New Igbo Language Flag by ChinenyeN(m): 12:26am On Aug 07, 2015
The two flags wouldn't serve the same purpose. The Biafran flag is the flag of a secessionist state, now used synonymously with 'Igbo', while this new flag actually represents language. The crosses are old Nsibidi for "speech" or "spoken word". The two flags are different, and quite honestly I recommend this flag be kept as far away from the Biafran flag as possible.

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Language Flag by Afam4eva(m): 1:09am On Aug 07, 2015
cheruv:
But the Biafran flag is used to represent everything Igbo on the net..isn't better to modify the flag than bringing something new?
When did Biafra and Igbo start meaning the same thing?

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Language Flag by ChinenyeN(m): 1:22am On Aug 07, 2015
Afam4eva:
When did Biafra and Igbo start meaning the same thing?
Those of us who are reasonable do not equate the two, but politics in Nigeria, plus block-head mentality of some Nigerians has created an environment in which Biafra and Igbo are casually viewed as one and the same. Is that right? No, but we can't deny the reality of it.

3 Likes

Re: New Igbo Language Flag by Nobody: 3:20am On Aug 07, 2015
I actually joined nairaland recently, because i am very much interested in knowing more about this Igbo writing system called Nsibiri. @odensbiri, you r doing a wonderful job and i am loving the Igbo language flag.

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Language Flag by odensibiri: 11:31am On Aug 07, 2015
nwanlecha:
I actually joined nairaland recently, because i am very much interested in knowing more about this Igbo writing system called Nsibiri. @odensbiri, you r doing a wonderful job and i am loving the Igbo language flag.

Thanks. Some more info can be found on this thread I created (if you haven't seen it): https://www.nairaland.com/2316663/igbo-writing
Re: New Igbo Language Flag by odensibiri: 11:35am On Aug 07, 2015
cheruv:

What ChinenyeN said, it's not a political affair just a language organisation, I have no plans to be affiliated or involved in any politics at all (hence the 'neutrality'). The flag is in the same vein of the Portuguese speaking community: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Portuguese_Language_Countries and Francophonie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_internationale_de_la_Francophonie and other language flags like these: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:SVG_flags_of_languages
Re: New Igbo Language Flag by cheruv: 5:13pm On Aug 07, 2015
OK kiss
I've this vision...
That Igbo would be the native language of African Americans
That Igbo would be the unofficial language of Africa
That alongside Chinese, English and Spanish,Igbo would be one of the recommended international languages of the 22nd century

This is one of the reasons I support nsibiri and what odensibiri is doing.. kos the script differentiates and the same time places Igbo on the same pedestal as English.
The OP has a similar vision but our ways of actualizing it are different. All the same this doesn't mean I'd not support him to take it to the point where we the politicians would take over and take it to where its meant to be
Shabbat Shalom cool

1 Like

Re: New Igbo Language Flag by Nobody: 2:12am On Aug 08, 2015
It's like we both have the exact same dream. I love Igbo language so much and that is why i am loving what odensibiri is doing with the Akagu and Nsibiri Igbo writing systems. I truly wish there was more i could do to help him.

cheruv:
OK kiss
I've this vision...
That Igbo would be the native language of African Americans
That Igbo would be the unofficial language of Africa
That alongside Chinese, English and Spanish,Igbo would be one of the recommended international languages of the 22nd century

This is one of the reasons I support nsibiri and what odensibiri is doing.. kos the script differentiates and the same time places Igbo on the same pedestal as English.
The OP has a similar vision but our ways of actualizing it are different. All the same this doesn't mean I'd not support him to take it to the point where we the politicians would take over and take it to where its meant to be
Shabbat Shalom cool
Re: New Igbo Language Flag by Nobody: 2:15am On Aug 08, 2015
K, i will check it out. Jisie ike n'anyi kwu gi n'azu gidigbam!

odensibiri:

Thanks. Some more info can be found on this thread I created (if you haven't seen it): https://www.nairaland.com/2316663/igbo-writing
Re: New Igbo Language Flag by odensibiri: 7:11pm On Aug 19, 2015

There's a group for discussing Igbo language on Google Plus, including discussion on new vocabulary and nsibiri use. It's to be a central place for 'standardising' Igbo. The requirement is that you speak [Engli-]Igbo at a conversational level. If you're interested or know anyone who is send a message.
Re: New Igbo Language Flag by cheruv: 3:27pm On Aug 30, 2015
odensibiri:

There's a group for discussing Igbo language on Google Plus, including discussion on new vocabulary and nsibiri use. It's to be a central place for 'standardising' Igbo. The requirement is that you speak [Engli-]Igbo at a conversational level. If you're interested or know anyone who is send a message.
Am interested.. cool
Moreover the Igbo lingo flag,those crosses should be arranged using cardinality viz N,S,E & W. A 5th cross should be placed in the center of the flag to represent the individual.
A lotus flower should be placed in the center too surrounding the 5th cross.the lotus flower is a symbol of rebirth, which means that Igbo language is being reborn each day.
Our flag should inspire blacks everywhere to learn Igbo and it can't do that if it doesn't inspire on its own.I wish am good at computer stuffs to show you a glimpse of what I mean sad undecided

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Ti Afi Ma Nda Ile Ise Sile Tabi Taba Feki Oja O Gbooro / Nigerian Women And Tribal Mark! / What Is Your Name And The Full Meaning In English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.