Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,158 members, 7,845,817 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Nlc Should Save Us This "Protest" Pretence. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nlc Should Save Us This "Protest" Pretence. (512 Views)

Ndigbo: This Protest Is Not In Your Interest / I Will Forget About This Protest If I Am Tubaba...the Pressure Is Too Much / Does This Protest For Remi Tinubu Worth It At All? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nlc Should Save Us This "Protest" Pretence. by Naijacitizen(m): 10:23pm On Aug 06, 2015
I only laughed when I read a story by Leadership online about a plan by Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to embark on series of activities, including mass protests across the country to prompt President Buhari to fight corruption. Actually I was left wondering why is "NLC" suddenly realising it's a dog that could bark and bite after being a dotting homely cat and ally to most corrupt regimes in Nigeria.

I think even if Nigerians should decide to be idiotic by choice, they still deserve to be treated with little respect by parasitic contraptions like NLC for one reason,they survive entirely on our idiocy. Who is NLC fooling? The fact that "TAN" could get away with playing with the collective intelligence of Nigerians doesn't mean anybody could and, such tolerance should by no means be misconstrued as a "beyond repair" mental situation to be exploited by leechlike contraptions such as NLC

By now NLC should be burying its head in shame rather than attempting another ride on the collective intelligence of Nigerians. But for our collective worthiness being lower than low to the exploitative NLC, one should expect them to first explain their whereabouts when few privileged people almost sucked Nigeria dry without NLC raising a finger. Certainly, NLC will not feign ignorance of the fuel subsidy saga that saw few spoilt kids from "A" class families cornering trillions of Naira on behalf of their families. Where was NLC when Nigerians were calling for the prosecution of Princess Stella Oduah, Femi Fani Kayode, Diezeni Alison Madueke and indeed, all pension and crude oil thieves whose activities caused Nigeria so much pain beside scoring an "A" position in global hall of ignominy.

NLC could have easily scored an "A" by pitching its tent with Nigerians when the immediate past regime was taking Nigeria on its wildest ride by doing anything doable to desecrate Nigeria. Where was NLC when billions of dollars was budgeted annually for security but with nothing to show but callous destruction of innocent lives. Did NLC ever threatened to force the government to properly prosecute Faruk Lawan even when a video in which he was shown pocketing $620,000 bribe money went embarrassingly viral? So, who does NLC want to impress with its threats of protest supposedly intended to "force" President Buhari to fight corruption? By the way, does President Buhari need to be "forced" to fight corruption as if he is some kind of Jonathan? I will rather see the warning as one of NLC's periodic public statements tailored to justify the huge monthly union deductions amounting to billions of Naira on which it is living fat and playing life the way of the "big boys".

It is my honest opinion that if there is a menace which President Buhari should be reminded to fight, NLC is one of them, topping the list of the "silent killers" category. The fight against corruption is aimed at adding value to the society and anything or anybody that's an impediment to that objective should be done away with. With nothing to show in terms of adding value to the socio-economic aspirations of the underpaid Nigerian workers for all the money it fleeced from them, one may like to hear NLC give reasons why they should not be a target of President Buhari's anti corruption crusade. Former President Goodluck Jonathan (that epitome of corruption) once derided the Labour unions saying many of its members at all levels engage in high level of corruption despite their clamour for good governance. What fate could be worse than being chastised for corruption by Jonathan? I couldn't help but agree with the ousted "Tsar of Corruption" in his view that, if NLC should concentrate on anything, it shouldn't be more than peer review action on the part of the NLC.

Considering the enormous influence NLC have on the Nigerian labour workforce, it's practically impossible for the ousted regime of Goodluck Jonathan to have fleeced Nigeria to the bone and get away with it. Its unwillingness to do things rightly have left it in a kind of a "giant anaconda mode" - only to make a big periodic swallow and go back to sleep. Probably the next time one will hear about NLC from now is somewhere in the next 3 years unless, there is a situation that may demand they put up an appearance of support to the Nigerian Labour workforce which, definitely will be an appearance to justify their huge monthly collection which have since redefined their name to a more befitting "Now Let's Chop". Far as I'm concerned, President Buhari don't need NLC to encourage him fight corruption. On his own he will fight corruption in an all inclusive manner that will help shake some heads and remind them of their responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: Nlc Should Save Us This "Protest" Pretence. by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2015
FTC[FTC][b]
Re: Nlc Should Save Us This "Protest" Pretence. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 06, 2015
Good, well said. That bit.chy organization needs to shut the fu.c;k up

(1) (Reply)

PDP Challenges EFCC To Investigate APC Former Governors / CBN Says Hajj Pilgrims Will Get Dollar At N160 / DPR Shuts 27 Filling Stations In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.