Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) (21680 Views)

Are You Having Issues Getting Pregnant?or Trying To Concieve? Then Try This / Are You In Malaysia Or Planning To Go The There? A Warning For You / Serious Birth Defects Affecting Unborn Babies Due To Zika Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by ChelseaDr(m): 12:32am On Aug 07, 2015
l was moved to open this thread after reading through the thread on: "Woman delivers a faceless baby in Aba". This thread is dedicated to all ladies especially those planning to get pregnant and those who are still at the early stages of their pregnancy (i.e. within 3 months) and to all those planning to step into the shoes of fatherhood.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) Fact sheath updated in April 2015, about 276,000 newborns die within 4weeks of their birth due to birth defects. Birth defects is a major cause of chronic disability and the psychological impact on both the individual and his/her family is unquantifiable.

What are the causes of birth defecs?
[/b]Surprisingly, in about 50% of cases of birth defects the causes are unknown. Most of these defects happen within the first three months of pregnancy. This is because the different organs and systems that make up human beings form within tjis period. That is why for those that are planning to get pregnant and those whose pregnancies are still very early, the things you take in form of drugs at this stage will have a leading impact on what happens to your baby. So beware!!!.

However there are identifiable risk factors and causes in the remaining 50%. Some of the known causes/risk factors include: genetic mutations (hereditary), advancing maternal age (especially women aged 35 years and above), drugs, nutritional deficiencies (by extension, poverty), infections, exposure to harmful substances in the environment, etc.
[b]
Genetic problems:

This is peharps the commonest cause of birth defects. Some foetuse (babies in the womb) inherited some abnormal genes from their parents and by no fault of theirs become abnormally formed if they survive till birth. Some of these genetic problems (mutations) is commoner among those who tend to get pregnant after the age of 35 years. More so because after age 35, bith te quality and quantity of the eggs begin to decline and the chances of giving birth to "abnormal" babies increases. The import of this is for women to try as much as possible to complete their family size before 35 years. ....Yes l know na naija we dey ooo..!!

Drugs
[b]This is another notable cause of birth defects. NOT all drugs are safe in pregnancy. While some are safe after 3 months others are outrightly contraindicated within the first three months. For instance drugs like sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine (e.g. fanaidar...with due respect to Swipha....as this is just to pass an information).Fansidar is an important drug given to pregnant women after three months (first trimeater) to PREVENT (NOT TO TREAT) malaria in their babies and should be repeated EVERY MONTH untill delivery. Fansidar SHOULD NEVER EVER be taken within the first three months (first trimester). This is because it cause birth defects in babies when given within 3months as the organs are being formed. This is because it makes folic acid useless and folic acid is needed for normal brain and spinal cord formation.

Other drugs include anti-epilepsy drugs, some anti-hypertensive drugs like ACE inhibitors, drugs to treat depression and anxiety disorder e.g valium-5, etc. Most importantly alcohol and cigarette smoking. Alcohol notably causes facial defects while cigarette smoking causes small babies, abortion and premature deliveries and even death of baby inside the womb.[/b]

Nutritional Deficiencies

Deficiency or excess of some micro/macro elements in food also causes birth defects. Notably among these is FOLIC ACID. It is recommended that if you are planning to get pregnant start taking folic acid one tablet daily three months before getting pregnant and continue taking it through out pregnancy. It is needed for normal structural formation within the first three months and also for blood building throughout pregnancy. Most of the common routine drugs contain folic acid and so pregnant women should NOT joke with their routine drugs. Poverty is a major impediment as many may not have access to antenatal care where they can get these drugs free. So the government of the day should make true their campaign promise of making efforts to reduce infant mortality to 3% and maternal mortality by 70% by providing free maternal and child health for Nigerian women and children.

Environmental hazards

Exposure to some pesticides may also result in virth defects. Some chemicals may also be direct causes. Remember the outbreak of miscarriages and congenital deformities that greeted the aftermath of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb attack.

Congenital deformities are real. They are not due to witches and wizards from the village (we cannot rule that out any way) but we have to play our own part by minding what we take during pregnancy....the time to act is NOW!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Chibuhealth(f): 6:16am On Aug 07, 2015
Wow!
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Asanwa2006(f): 12:20pm On May 06, 2016
ChelseaDr:
l was moved to open this thread after reading through the thread on: "Woman delivers a faceless baby in Aba". This thread is dedicated to all ladies especially those planning to get pregnant and those who are still at the early stages of their pregnancy (i.e. within 3 months) and to all those planning to step into the shoes of fatherhood.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) Fact sheath updated in April 2015, about 276,000 newborns die within 4weeks of their birth due to birth defects. Birth defects is a major cause of chronic disability and the psychological impact on both the individual and his/her family is unquantifiable.

What are the causes of birth defecs?
[/b]Surprisingly, in about 50% of cases of birth defects the causes are unknown. Most of these defects happen within the first three months of pregnancy. This is because the different organs and systems that make up human beings form within tjis period. That is why for those that are planning to get pregnant and those whose pregnancies are still very early, the things you take in form of drugs at this stage will have a leading impact on what happens to your baby. So beware!!!.

However there are identifiable risk factors and causes in the remaining 50%. Some of the known causes/risk factors include: genetic mutations (hereditary), advancing maternal age (especially women aged 35 years and above), drugs, nutritional deficiencies (by extension, poverty), infections, exposure to harmful substances in the environment, etc.
[b]
Genetic problems:

This is peharps the commonest cause of birth defects. Some foetuse (babies in the womb) inherited some abnormal genes from their parents and by no fault of theirs become abnormally formed if they survive till birth. Some of these genetic problems (mutations) is commoner among those who tend to get pregnant after the age of 35 years. More so because after age 35, bith te quality and quantity of the eggs begin to decline and the chances of giving birth to "abnormal" babies increases. The import of this is for women to try as much as possible to complete their family size before 35 years. ....Yes l know na naija we dey ooo..!!

Drugs
[b]This is another notable cause of birth defects. NOT all drugs are safe in pregnancy. While some are safe after 3 months others are outrightly contraindicated within the first three months. For instance drugs like sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine (e.g. fanaidar...with due respect to Swipha....as this is just to pass an information).Fansidar is an important drug given to pregnant women after three months (first trimeater) to PREVENT (NOT TO TREAT) malaria in their babies and should be repeated EVERY MONTH untill delivery. Fansidar SHOULD NEVER EVER be taken within the first three months (first trimester). This is because it cause birth defects in babies when given within 3months as the organs are being formed. This is because it makes folic acid useless and folic acid is needed for normal brain and spinal cord formation.

Other drugs include anti-epilepsy drugs, some anti-hypertensive drugs like ACE inhibitors, drugs to treat depression and anxiety disorder e.g valium-5, etc. Most importantly alcohol and cigarette smoking. Alcohol notably causes facial defects while cigarette smoking causes small babies, abortion and premature deliveries and even death of baby inside the womb.[/b]

Nutritional Deficiencies

Deficiency or excess of some micro/macro elements in food also causes birth defects. Notably among these is FOLIC ACID. It is recommended that if you are planning to get pregnant start taking folic acid one tablet daily three months before getting pregnant and continue taking it through out pregnancy. It is needed for normal structural formation within the first three months and also for blood building throughout pregnancy. Most of the common routine drugs contain folic acid and so pregnant women should NOT joke with their routine drugs. Poverty is a major impediment as many may not have access to antenatal care where they can get these drugs free. So the government of the day should make true their campaign promise of making efforts to reduce infant mortality to 3% and maternal mortality by 70% by providing free maternal and child health for Nigerian women and children.

Environmental hazards

Exposure to some pesticides may also result in virth defects. Some chemicals may also be direct causes. Remember the outbreak of miscarriages and congenital deformities that greeted the aftermath of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb attack.

Congenital deformities are real. They are not due to witches and wizards from the village (we cannot rule that out any way) but we have to play our own part by minding what we take during pregnancy....the time to act is NOW!

1 Like

Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Asanwa2006(f): 12:34pm On May 06, 2016
Hi everyone. Please I have something bothering me on this topic. I just found out yesterday that I am pregnant. Last week I took Artesunate, not because I have malaria, but because am trying to prevent it as I just left Nigeria. I reside in the US, and normally when we travel and come back we take malaria drug to prevent malaria. I am so worried as normally I would not dare put my baby at stake for any reason. I have tried to read up on Artesunate but there isn't much I could find online.
Secondly, During my stay in nigeria, I had taken alcohol up to 5 times( within a space of one month), not to the point of getting drunk though, maybe like a bottle of Smirnoff ice, nothing above 10%. Am not much of a drinker but sometimes I take something especially when am out with my husband. Please help me...any doctors in the house?
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Adelakun2016(m): 7:22pm On May 06, 2016
Why deliver them if it can be detected on ultrasound.... Visit our center today..OMVIAL 4D USS,Ibadan center.

Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by darm2009: 10:09pm On Nov 07, 2016
Good day house please I need your advice,my wife Is almost six month pregnant have registered her for antenatal and a nurse prescribe PREGNACARE and FEROFER for her and I have bought the two medicine can she be using the two drugs together or she should finish with one another cos someone told me that the drugs are the same and what are the different between PREGNACARE and FEROFER thank so much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Liftedhands(f): 11:45am On Jan 25, 2017
Nice thread.
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Syphonn(m): 7:00pm On Oct 07, 2017
Women who have a regular monthly menstrual cycle, the earliest and most reliable sign of pregnancy is a missed period. Women who are pregnant sometimes have a very light period, losing only a little blood.

Listed below are some of the other signs and symptoms of early pregnancy. Every woman is different and not all women will notice all these symptoms. READ MORE AT THE LINK BELOW

www.busygisting.com/early-signs-of-pregnancy-what-every-woman-needs-to-know
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Syphonn(m): 2:13pm On Oct 12, 2017
WHAT ARE MENSTRUAL CRAMPS?

The female uterus is a muscle which contracts during the menstrual cycle monthly. Often times this contraction can press against other blood vessels accidentally, ripping off the normal supply of oxygen and causing pains. Some females have reportedly opined that most menstrual cramps are not serious and don’t show that anything is wrong with their body, but they can still be frustrating. To set yourself from menstrual cramps, use pain relief drugs such as ibuprofen and a heating pad to deal with any immediate pain, and talk to your physician about ways to reduce menstrual cramps in the future.

READ MORE: http://www.busygisting.com/menstrual-cramps-how-to-set-yourself-free-from-the-pains/
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Bolaopeyemi: 6:20pm On Mar 18, 2020
Syphonn:
Women who have a regular monthly menstrual cycle, the earliest and most reliable sign of pregnancy is a missed period. Women who are pregnant sometimes have a very light period, losing only a little blood.

Listed below are some of the other signs and symptoms of early pregnancy. Every woman is different and not all women will notice all these symptoms. READ MORE AT THE LINK BELOW

www.busygisting.com/early-signs-of-pregnancy-what-every-woman-needs-to-know
I missed my period, urine test is positive while blood test is negative, please what can I do?
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Enuofima1: 11:48am On Oct 31, 2020
Adelakun2016:
Why deliver them if it can be detected on ultrasound.... Visit our center today..OMVIAL 4D USS,Ibadan center.

please where in Ibadan, I need to do this ultrasound
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 18, 2020
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Hamzashaf99(f): 1:41pm On May 31, 2021
Bolaopeyemi:

I missed my period, urine test is positive while blood test is negative, please what can I do?
Thought I was strange
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by telmens: 7:22am On Mar 31, 2022
I am intres to what couse dificult during dirth
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by canaryy: 8:34am On Mar 31, 2022
Trying to conceive? Use our fertility pack https://www.nairaland.com/6929590/gufei-bao-princess-pearl-pills
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by KanikaSingh: 8:45am On Apr 01, 2022
I am impressed by the quality of the information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. thanks for sharing this with us
In case anyone who is reading this, wants to get infertility treatment then Sofat Infertility & Women Care Centre a well known Best IVF Center in Punjab is the best place for them
Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by ggNaturalCure: 3:05pm On May 24, 2022
This Topic really help Pregnant women to know what to eat and what to avoid during pregnancy to avoid miscarriage and developmental defects in unborn

Am blessed to watch this as a pregnant woman and am recommending this video for pregnant folks like me.

It really helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzrjZsgSOYM

Re: Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) by Knetpro(m): 11:15am On Aug 18, 2023
This is a great post.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Another important information that women need to know about is how to avoid episiotomy cuts and stitches during delivery.

Many women do not know that they should take their diet very seriously and watch what they put in their mouths during pregnancy.

Mrs. Nma learned about this the hard way despite being a registered midwife and nurse.

She suffered painful episiotomy cuts and stitches during the birth of her first baby.

As a result, she went through trauma for many weeks after delivery and could not have sex with her husband for several months.

All this could have been avoided if she had paid more attention to her diet.

There was ONE other very important thing that she did which facilitated the safe delivery of her second baby without surgery, episiotomy cuts and stitches which could have robbed her of her joy for many months.

Find out this ONE THING which she did in the post below.

Read her FULL STORY through the link below.

Pregnancy Without Tears: Is It Possible To Give Birth Without Pain? TRUE STORY
Click 👇 https://www.nairaland.com/7697053/pregnancy-without-tears-it-possible

(1) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Man Discovers His Wife Has Been Hiding Her HIV Status / Woman Loses Hands And Legs To Illegal Butt Injection / 340 New COVID-19 Cases,316 Discharged And 4 Deaths On August 21 -(4173 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.