Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? (4443 Views)

Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig / Obama To Honour Ooni Ogunwusi As NYC Declares Yoruba Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 12:05pm On Aug 08, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Is this invitation extended to me as well or nah angry

Lol of course not lipsrsealed what do you want here again undecided bush woman
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 12:29pm On Aug 08, 2015
Orimili:

The Igbo organization of New York is the closest to me, but it seems to be inactive. the phone number is also disconnected.

I'll look into the Anambra Association of New York. hopefully, that will get me somewhere.

ICORI is about 2 hours away, but I will check it as well.

My father's village is closer to Onitsha, and my mother's village is outside of Nnewi.

yeah these unions were set up by our parents'/grandparents' generations, who are not the most technically minded grin a lot of the time the phone number/ website have not been updated for years. Things are usually done by telephone, networking and word of mouth. But often when you actually manage to locate them there is a very large and vibrant community of people

Onitsha Ado National Improvement Union http://www.onitshaadounion.com/files/ABOUTUS/AdoUnionHistory.html

Nnewi Union New York Tri-State - http://www.nnewiunionnewyorktristate.org/

These people seem promising.. at least there are some signs of "2015" on their site lol
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 08, 2015
Gurgle:

Lol of course not lipsrsealed what do you want here again undecided bush woman
/in thiiiiiick Igbo accent/

Lubbish

Nne why na I go touche up if I wan come visit so as not to emballass you
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 7:02pm On Aug 08, 2015
Gurgle:

yeah these unions were set up by our parents'/grandparents' generations, who are not the most technically minded grin a lot of the time the phone number/ website have not been updated for years. Things are usually done by telephone, networking and word of mouth. But often when you actually manage to locate them there is a very large and vibrant community of people

Onitsha Ado National Improvement Union http://www.onitshaadounion.com/files/ABOUTUS/AdoUnionHistory.html

Nnewi Union New York Tri-State - http://www.nnewiunionnewyorktristate.org/

These people seem promising.. at least there are some signs of "2015" on their site lol

I will definitely look into these. If I somehow get in contact with the Igbo organization NY, I would definitely offer to maintain the website regularly.

Once I have some free time today, I will begin making calls.

This is really important to me, and I hope that I can start on things soon.

1 Like

Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by bigfrancis21: 11:52pm On Aug 08, 2015
Orimili:

I will definitely look into these. If I somehow get in contact with the Igbo organization NY, I would definitely offer to maintain the website regularly.

I totally understand your situation. Igbo is easy if you are willing to invest time in learning it. Given that you are currently not in Nigeria, your best way to learn Igbo would be from watching Igbo movies on youtube. There are quite many of them on YT. Most Igbo movies replicate real-life situations and events in Igboland and often come with English subtitles. Just watch and listen to the actors and actresses speak and try repeating after them. I cannot overemphasize enough the need to speak and speak. You won't learn to speak the language or any other by just being a passive listener. If you don't make efforts at speaking you won't learn how to speak. Speak, speak and speak. Igbo-Americans like you have learned how to speak Igbo and we have some of them here on nairaland. ChinenyeN can share a few helpful tips.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by bigfrancis21: 11:54pm On Aug 08, 2015
chudidonas:

I am good mate.. Yes, somehow familiar. Pls pm me

Chudi, I sent you an email.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 4:51am On Aug 09, 2015
Orimili:

Yes, please do. Sometimes there is a generational divide because the children of the people running it don't attend often or only do it because their parents made them. So they need somebody to help bring them forward a little

I really hope you find what youre looking for. At least you have taken some steps towards making sure you don't allow yourself to get lost culturally. As you don't yet have a family, it will be easier for you. Good luck smiley
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Orimili(m): 6:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
Gurgle:

Yes, please do. Sometimes there is a generational divide because the children of the people running it don't attend often or only do it because their parents made them. So they need somebody to help bring them forward a little

I really hope you find what youre looking for. At least you have taken some steps towards making sure you don't allow yourself to get lost culturally. As you don't yet have a family, it will be easier for you. Good luck smiley

Thank you, this is probably going to be a very tedious experience, but I'm going to connect to someone. I haven't been able to reach anyone yet, but hopefully my emails will be returned.
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Phut(f): 7:13pm On Aug 09, 2015
Orimili:

Thank you, this is probably going to be a very tedious experience, but I'm going to connect to someone. I haven't been able to reach anyone yet, but hopefully my emails will be returned.

Search on YouTube for "learn Igbo". A YouTube user called Igbomatrix has a lot of lessons already set up. The advantage of this is that you get to hear the pronunciations as opposed to just reading text in a book. Ndewoigbolessons is also on YouTube. These are just 2 out of many. They are both in the U.S so you should have no problem connecting with them
Re: Where Can I Learn Igbo In NYC? by Gurgle(f): 1:46am On Aug 10, 2015
Orimili:

smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Can Speak English, Come Here. / Who Killed Princess Adesuwa? / Colonial Ali Igbo (Igbo Land) In Pictures (part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.