Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary (1835 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: White Man In A Danfo Bus In Lagos (photos) / What A Military Man Did To A Danfo Driver Today In Apapa (Photos) / I Was Once A Danfo Driver, Says Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by alibor: 9:08pm On Sep 28, 2006
A few days ago i wrote a short thought about my strong convictions of a new Africa, and some Nairaland folks are already showing disbelief at it.

Last night I was met with an even stiffer opposition. It was a scenario in the Danfo I picked on my way from Ikeja: we had been caught in the traffic, our driver swerved off the queue and headed down the wrong lane, causing even worse traffic in the opposite direction. A traffic warden came up to our driver’s side and raised his voice, a quick squeeze of cash and his voice went “soothingly” – “…you go sofry dey rush u fit jam person hormer now dem go say make u pay”. That was when the fuse blew up in the bus! A stout, fluent speaking woman started it all…

Woman: Dead Country! Rotten police! Cursed nation! A people without leadership! The abuse kept flowing…

Driver: Na wetin?

Man by my right side: She is referring to you and your sick friends…

Driver: na me start am?

Man by my right side: Na im we dey talk. There is no police in this country; they deserve to be dismissed so that we can rest! They are complete menace to the society; they are simply a license for criminality!

Man behind: the police is not the only dead institution in this country. The entire country is dead. It was founded on falsehood and will remain so. Look at the political killings, look at the hike in school fees, look at the increasing hunger in the society, yet someone is said to possess 150 million in his account simply for being in government…

Woman: that is what I am saying…there is no working government, no working system in this country. Imagine in foreign countries, u hav some benefits as a visitor, but in this country! This niaja we call our own country, there’s no one benefit for being a citizen. Rather you are cursed for being one…people sit down and discourse how to disburse public funds among themselves…they only claim to fight corruption when they want to get at each other…sick! I mean this wole system is sick!!!

I thought of giving these co-travelers of mine some new orientation: who broke the traffic rules? Government? Who failed to correct the earring driver? Government? Who gave the police man a bribe? Government? Who agreed to the 100% hike in bus fare imposed by the greedy driver because of the population he saw stranded at the bus stop knowing fully well there are many who will not be able to afford that amount? I guess government too. See, we are what we make our society and our society would in turn make us what we are! Another guy was talking…

Guy: I have always maintained my point – things will never move in this country as long as these leaders continue to re-cycle themselves. Take a look at the elections coming again! Whose posters do you see? Take a look at those in government, who are they? Those who were in government the very year I was born! Damn it! We are all doomed and sacrificed as pawns in the hands of a very few…

Another guy was cutting in –
Guy 2: that is why I advocate a revolution…this nation needs cleansing! All those who have been found corrupt in one way or the other should be wiped out!

Driver: Na who go do am? You?

General laughter

Guy 2: you see? That is the problem with Nigeria; no one wants to come out. No one wants to take the bull by the horn. Suffering and smiling. Then why are u complaining? Have u done anything about your situation? In short, no one here should disturb my journey again…if you truly want a change, step out and say it!

Guy: for me, I have been praying for one thing…God’s favour to leave this country…

I turned a sharp look at him –

Guy: ehen now? e beta to be tree for America than to be person for Nigeria!

My head dropped! That was the greatest blow my life long dream has ever received in recent times. I raised my head to give him a response but was at a loss where to start or whom to address first. Nigeria sure do need a change, but who needs the change? The buses or the drivers? The system or the people? The school or the teachers and students? The government or the officials? Who exactly needs the change? We have had more policies than any other nation in the world, more population than any other black country, more resources than most other countries. We walk on gold; sleep on crude oil and site on wash on natural gas reserves, yet we wake up POOR. Whose fault?

I was beginning to get emotional about the whole discussion, I guess the man beside me noticed it, he asked: Obasanjor don bribe you? I simply looked up and answered: There’s A New Nigeria!

There was great silence…I bent down to pray for my country, my fatherland and the place of rest of my beloved children to come…but it was my stop!

As I made to alight, the man asked, “A New Nigeria…no doubts-o…but when…two thousand and?” I simply smiled my convictions “You will see it when you see it”.

I worked on wandering “is there none other who sees a greater Africa?” – if there is in Niajaland please such a one should testify to others!

1 Like

Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by DeepSoul(f): 5:07pm On Oct 01, 2006
Funny, I've been screaming that same question since today as per Independence day . I almost cried when I read your post because scenarios like that occur ALL THE TIME. Everyone (friends, family etc) I've spoken with today has just been sooooo pessimistic!

I see a great Nigeria. If you don't see it, look within and correct something which might have gone wrong
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by weedplanta(m): 1:32am On Oct 02, 2006
There has to be a revolution to wipe out all politicians and business moguls found guilty of corruption.They should be beheaded!!! I foesee the Nigerian revolution before the end of time.it will be like the judgement day,everyone will be jugde according to his deeds,politicians,pastors,local chiefs,governors,local councillors and other goverment insitutoinal bodies.

Those advocating for a no change will be prosecuted and jailed, You've to be for the REVO or against it, We've to fight for freedom or sit back and live in mess and oppression, Our leaders have failed us from the first republic till this day, The present administrators will all be tried and if convicted they will be beheaded.Obasanjo,Atiku,IBB,shonekan,Tinubu just to mention a little,they all can't escape the execution,

The revolution is now or ever.The enlightment has begun, ASO ROCK WILL BE STORMED,STATE HOUSES AND OTHER GOVERMENT FINANCIAL institution.There has to be some blood letting to get things right, I don't mean a war breaking out, Revolution means a "turn around" short changes will change the social,political and economical situation of Nigeria, It could also be a palace revolution that will bring changes to our sociaty.

Nigerians should stop taliking about oil, We need industralinzation and hard work to turn things around.I know i'm inspiring others with this article, This forum should be more dedicated to the change in Nigeria and other Afrikan countries will learn from it,

At your service, Tell someone about this message.
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by alibor: 8:12am On Oct 03, 2006
i fee u weedplanter. i believe these leaders are naturally passing on and the upcoming generation needs a deep re-orientation to imbibe a focus, a dream and a passion for a greater nigeria. i will share my conviction for a transformed nigeria with you at the close of work today!

for now happy national anniversary!
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by Sharonf(f): 12:35am On Jan 06, 2011
Na today? No, . , . Na 2006
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by KnowAll(m): 1:01am On Jan 06, 2011
When Jonathan Goodluck says some people are stealing what their Grandchildren would never finish spending dat was d indictment on corruption dat we all need to here.

Obviously Jonathan's eyes have seen a common denomenator in Nigeria political sphere dat defiles logic. It is just simply insane, some of our so called leaders need to be strapped permanently to a bed in a mental hospital & d keys thrown away, to say we are a nation ruled by mad men would be an understatement. undecided
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by maga1: 1:04am On Jan 06, 2011
alibor:

Guy: for me, I have been praying for one thing…God’s favour to leave this country…

I turned a sharp look at him –

Guy: ehen now? e beta to be tree for America than to be person for Nigeria!

My head dropped! That was the greatest blow my life long dream has ever received in recent times. I raised my head to give him a response but was at a loss where to start or whom to address first. Nigeria sure do need a change, but who needs the change? The buses or the drivers? The system or the people? The school or the teachers and students? The government or the officials? Who exactly needs the change? We have had more policies than any other nation in the world, more population than any other black country, more resources than most other countries. We walk on gold; sleep on crude oil and site on wash on natural gas reserves, yet we wake up POOR. Whose fault?

grin grin grin grin grin grin its soo unfortunate but this is naija for you. we dont believe in ourselves. the revolution to change naija must begin from our mindset.
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by Mariory(m): 2:59am On Jan 06, 2011
alibor:

I thought of giving these co-travelers of mine some new orientation: who broke the traffic rules? Government? Who failed to correct the earring driver? Government? Who gave the police man a bribe? Government? Who agreed to the 100% hike in bus fare imposed by the greedy driver because of the population he saw stranded at the bus stop knowing fully well there are many who will not be able to afford that amount? I guess government too. See, we are what we make our society and our society would in turn make us what we are! Another guy was talking…

Exactly! You should have asked them what they would do different if they were in a position of power. There is a high probability that they will be worse leaders. Not one among them blamed the driver because it suited them. And there in lies the problem with Nigerians.

On a side note can you imagine the curses that will be rained down if it was a foreigner that gave that bribe.
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by Johnbet123: 3:29pm On Nov 01, 2019
MAKE MILLIONS ON OUR DAILY FIXED GAMES VIEW MY BIO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED
+23481+5729023
Re: I Took A Danfo (bus) 3 Days To Indepence Anniversary by nlPoster: 3:48pm On Nov 01, 2019
Oh well.

(1) (Reply)

Is Nigeria Cursed? / Breaking News - 2007 Anambra Governorship Election Unconstitutional / Yar Adua: Mark & Bankole Highly Compromised - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.