Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,164 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader (745 Views)

Quit Notice: I Have Been In Bosso For 45 Years, Where Do I Go? – Yoruba Leader / Supreme Court Upholds Wike’s Election As Rivers Governor / Jonathan Breaks Silence - El-Rufai Lied On Independence Expenditure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by fkaz(m): 11:11am On Aug 10, 2015
Former Ogun State Governor, Chief Olusegun Osoba, on Sunday disproved a claim by former President Olusegun Obasanjo that the late legend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, was never elected the Yoruba leader.

Osoba, who presented an August 13, 1966, edition of Daily Sketch that reported the unanimous election of Awolowo by leaders of diverse political leanings, said Obasanjo’s statement was an outright disruption of facts.

He disproved the former president’s claim during an interaction with select journalists in Lagos, saying the first Military Governor of Western Region, Major General Adeyinka Adebayo ,presided over series of meetings that threw up Awolowo as the Yoruba leader on August 12, 1966, in Ibadan.

He added that Obasanjo was the then Garrison Commander at the now 2nd Machanised Division of the Nigerian Army and a member of Adebayo’s cabinet, hence there was no way he would not know about Awolowo’s emergence.

He named leaders of diverse political interests who attended the Ibadan meeting “to include late Dr. Koye Majekodunmi, who had different political ideology with Chief Awolowo. Late Chief TOS Benson, a staunch supporter of the late Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe till death, was not part of Awolowo’s political family.”

Osoba also named the Chairman of the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN), Chief Adisa Akinloye and a chieftain of National Council of Nigerian Citizens (NCNC) late Chief Adeniran Ogunsanya among those who elected Awolowo as the Yoruba leader.

He said: “I want everyone to know Awolowo was released from prison two weeks before his election as the leader of the Yoruba.

I will give you more facts. He was unanimously elected by all stakeholders. On August 10, 1966, Adebayo held meetings with intellectuals and activists, among others.

“On August 11, 1966, Adebayo held meetings with the traditional rulers in Yoruba land. On August 12, Adebayo also held the meeting of all stakeholders and there was not a dissenting voice against Awolowo’s election as the Yoruba leader. These are some of the facts. So, I can never agree with Obasanjo.

“I was present at the forum where Awolowo was unanimously elected the leader of Yorubas. The election involved all stakeholders including political actors, cultural leaders and intellectuals in Yorubaland.

“I have records to prove Awolowo was elected aside the newspaper publications made after the election in Ibadan. I disagree with Obasanjo on his claim that the late legend was handpicked by some of his supporters,” he said.

The former governor faulted Obasanjo on another claim that late Chief Adisa Akinloye kicked against the election of Awolowo, noting that even until his death, Akinloye “was one of the admirers of Awolowo.”

He therefore said Akinloye “was the one who coined the word Afenifere. I was close to Akinloye even during his days in London where he exiled. He never disagreed with the fact that Awolowo must be respected as a person.

“There is a difference between being members of different political parties and having respect for a particular person. When Aminu Kano was alive, he often visited the Sardauna of Sokoto for consultation. But they never shared the same political ideologies. I do not know why anyone should denigrate the reputation of Awolowo.”

He explained the rationales behind Awolowo’s emergence as the leader of Yoruba, noting that before his imprisonment, the Action Group (AG) “had been winning elections in other regions aside the Western region.

“Awolowo had won election in Ogoja area in Cross River State. He also won election in the Middle Belt. Likewise, Awolowo made edgeway in Kanuri. He succeeded in creating Pan Nigerian image for himself despite some claims that he was tribal.

“Another reason was that at that time, General Yakubu Gowon had emerged as the Head of State and Awolowo did not support him. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu had also emerged as leader for the Igbos,” he said.

But he said there was no clear-cut leader in Yoruba land, explaining that the Yorubas “needed someone who would be the rallying point. But there was no one who could contest it with Awolowo.

“Besides, the militants, the Agbekoyas, were holding the military to ransom at that time. It was only Awolowo who could go into the jungles to persuade them to lay-down their arms. These were some factors that led to the emergence of Awolowo as the Yoruba leader,” the former governor explained.

He said it was imperative for him to put the record straight “to avoid the distortion of history. I hate to play the role of a mind reader. But my worry is that if I failed to come out as someone who was involved in the activities leading to the election of Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, history would be distorted.

“In future, historians, researchers will base their conclusions on the Obasanjo’s record of events. He was also an active participant in events at that period. As the Garrison Commander in Ibadan, he was an active member of General Adeyinka Adebayo’s cabinet.

I do not think he would have forgotten so soon the sequence of events that threw up Awolowo as Yoruba leader,” Osoba said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/osoba-obasanjo-lied-on-awolowo-s-election-as-yoruba-leader/217084/
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by YoungestMuller(m): 11:14am On Aug 10, 2015
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by Mogidi: 11:28am On Aug 10, 2015
ok
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by tociano009(m): 11:35am On Aug 10, 2015
grin
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:55am On Aug 10, 2015
I wonder why OBJ won't let go of any opportunity to bash AWO. Wetin Baba Awo do am?
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by coolestrogue(m): 12:09pm On Aug 10, 2015
Why this dis-unity among my yoruba brothers?
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by tomakint: 11:43pm On Aug 10, 2015
To even think he (Obasanjo) wrote a book, 'Not My Will' just to spite Chief Awo's ambition to rule Nigeria is highly barbaric of this vindictive, randy Egba Chief!

1 Like

Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by olawalepopoola: 11:53pm On Aug 10, 2015
Baba Iyabo! History will judge when you go to the land of no return! BABA OSOBA, thanks!
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by BERNIMOORE: 12:26am On Aug 11, 2015
After humilialing awolowo by rigging the 1979 election in favour of shagari, obasanjo was known then to criticise awolowo just the same way he criticize jonathan after 36 yrs obasanjo unforgiven spirit is just too bad!!! When fayose says that obasanjo dont forgive even when you give him your blood now we can see that its true!36yrs haba baba !! Jonathan should know that obasanjo is a hate personified and a thief!! Obasanjo wanted to play down the records of the real Yoruba pioneers to exult himself when fela kuti's records. ..international thief thief.....2.8 billion naira missing missing...arranged master's oooo. Eeaaa arangee masters oo.... . will for ever be there to confirm obasanjos stealings, mko abiola June 12 was never celebrated throughout the whole 8 yr rule of obasnjo, but God pass obasanjo, aremu osoba may God bless you forever
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by gunuvi(m): 1:19am On Aug 11, 2015
To know the truth now in naija is anytime OBJ says something, just believe that the opposite is the truth.
That's my formula that I have been using.

1 Like

Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by M4gunners: 1:27am On Aug 11, 2015
Chaii i smell envey.
Re: Osoba: Obasanjo Lied On Awolowo’s Election As Yoruba Leader by Nobody: 3:37am On Aug 11, 2015
History had been kind to baba Obj, though, we know he has been most unkind to history. He should let others be!

Accordinh to Moji Obasanjo "obj is always fighting a war". How true

(1) (Reply)

Bet Won / NNPC New GMD Sacks 38 Senior Managers To Cut Cost / CAPTION THIS: 'superman Soldier' Spotted In Northeastern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.