Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,206 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name (32933 Views)

Google Is Shutting Down Its URL Shortening Service / Google Is Not Indexing My Site Please Help. / Google Changes Search Engine Logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Somcrizzy(m): 8:17am On Aug 11, 2015
Buhari Come see oooo

Introduce it to Madam Peace ASAP....LOL
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 11, 2015
MrCuddles:
Why the name Alphabet? Soon Facebook will change its name to Roman Figure.

Modified: The poster below me reminds me of a parking ticket smiley

So they can be on top of the list . Apple did that to be top of Atari. The move makes perfect sense.
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Lanadelrey: 8:17am On Aug 11, 2015
False! They're not changing the name. They're opening ANOTHER parent company called "Alphabet". "Google" and "Alphabet" are different entities.

SOURCE: BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33857412
Google has unveiled a surprise restructuring, creating a new parent company called Alphabet Inc.
Under the rebranding, Google will retain its best-known businesses, such as search, apps, YouTube and Android.
Some of the newer entities, such as the investment and research divisions, the "smart-home" unit Nest, and the drone arm will be run under Alphabet.
Google founder Larry Page said it would create a simpler structure for what had become a diverse group of businesses.
"This new structure will allow us to keep tremendous focus on the extraordinary opportunities we have inside of Google," he said in the blogpost.
"Our company is operating well today, but we think we can make it cleaner and more accountable," he said. "The whole point is that Alphabet companies should have independence and develop their own brands."
Mr Page will become chief executive of Alphabet, with senior vice president Sundar Pichai becoming CEO of Google.
Mr Page's fellow Google co-founder Sergey Brin will become president of Alphabet, and Eric Schmidt, the current Google chairman, will be executive chairman of the holding company.
What's in a name?
Google's new chief financial officer, Ruth Porat, will hold the same title for both Google and Alphabet.
BGC Partners' investment analyst Colin Gillis said the new structure should give investors greater clarity on strategy and how much Google was spending on new products.
"There's been a lot of speculation about how much money they put into these other ventures," Mr Gillis told Bloomberg. "That will come to an end. This also gives them the structure to add in another business line if they were to acquire something. The mechanism is in place."
The name Alphabet was chosen for two reasons, Mr Page said. It represents language, "the core of how we index with Google search", and because Alpha-bet means "investment return above benchmark, which we strive to do".
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by PofP: 8:17am On Aug 11, 2015
Google has NOT changed name just the business restructured!!!!!
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by omojeesu(m): 8:17am On Aug 11, 2015
Part of the science and technology of the end times! Exciting, but strangely, sobering! We are getting there by and by on all fronts especially on the back of knowledge explosion!

Daniel 12:4
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Jesus is Lord!
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by stiles009(m): 8:18am On Aug 11, 2015
We hear only what the media wants us to hear.

how come there isn't any rumour or news about this until now?

The media been controlling the world since ....
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by omojeesu(m): 8:19am On Aug 11, 2015
PofP:

Google has NOT changed name just the business restructured!!!!!

Hen hen!
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by 2good(m): 8:19am On Aug 11, 2015
They did not change name. They only created a parent company called Alphabet with Google being a subsidiary. The plan is to run all businesses under the parent Alphabet company.
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by DrPrickson: 8:20am On Aug 11, 2015
FF
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 11, 2015
Accepted
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by RaphaelOjefo: 8:23am On Aug 11, 2015
#fact....by 2018 almost every thing on the internet would be video...
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Atlantian: 8:25am On Aug 11, 2015
scarcity of names ?
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Goldenheart(m): 8:26am On Aug 11, 2015
but why?
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 11, 2015
Donariok:
my sub expires todai
dats not my business either...hehehehe.

1 Like

Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 11, 2015
Space Booked
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:40am On Aug 11, 2015
I lost the number I used in openning a gmail account, and can't even remember it. I can only assess my account on my phone. How do I get my lost number on my gmail account?
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by ekenzify(m): 8:40am On Aug 11, 2015
Nice Idea.. Google still remains d same though and even better, since it would be a company of its own as b4 only that its part of a group of companies Larry Page n Sergey is planning on establishing
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by kannymoore(m): 8:40am On Aug 11, 2015
repogirl:
To FP or not to FP angry

The poster below might have something of value to say....am just here for the FP! angry

Aah!!

Repogirl...

Even you too!

Kai...I dey highly disappointed sha!you too big pass this FTC na?!..haba ne?!

Good morning to you ma'am!..how's Abj?
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Patented: 8:40am On Aug 11, 2015
Google is still Google. the name has not and is not changing anytime soon. Alphabet has just become the parent company of Google and other subsidiaries. Google will still retain its identity but as a unit that will no longer be saddled with the responsibilities that come with the other subsidiaries owned.
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Kfed4ril(m): 8:51am On Aug 11, 2015
ITbomb:
Who on earth would approve such a name for registration. If na me wan apply for that as a business name CAC would say "Not available" #GodDey
I feel like to sue them and claim billions for confusing our children with the name "Alphabet"
DRY[color=#990000][/color] angry
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by funstufz: 8:52am On Aug 11, 2015
If GOOGLE successfully changed to Alphabet and Facebook is warming up to change to Numbers, who can suggest what our own Nairaland migkht changed to.
Options:
A. Vowels
B. Syllable
C. Figures of speech
D. Roman numerals
E. Alphanumeric...
Start... ;-)
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by xreal: 9:01am On Aug 11, 2015
Hope 'nairaland' wouldn't change to 'nairabet'.

'cos I see lots of nairabet thread in it.

grin
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 11, 2015
Let's not fool ourselves anymore. Too many posters submit comments without reading the article.
Reading the firstpage its obvious only one poster assimilated the thread while others posted only after viewing the topic title.

Lalasticlala its high time you push my thread about summarizing thread information to the frontpage; it'd increase the quality of posts users submit as less reading is needed to understand posts.
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by repogirl(f): 9:07am On Aug 11, 2015
kannymoore:

Aah!!

Repogirl...

Even you too!

Kai...I dey highly disappointed sha!you too big pass this FTC na?!..haba ne?!

Good morning to you ma'am!..how's Abj?
Tah, bros abeg forget dat tin...me I no dey hide mouth. No time for that one, e pain me sef sey I miss FTC, I will try harder next time. cheesy

Abuja is cool, thanks. Hope you're doing good too?
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by ojnnaco(m): 9:18am On Aug 11, 2015
alphabet kee? CHANGE IS POSSIBLE
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by grandstar(m): 9:20am On Aug 11, 2015
Google controls the two most important search engines on the Net: Google search and Youtube. Them don try
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Rajosh(m): 9:27am On Aug 11, 2015
repogirl:
To FP or not to FP angry

The poster below might have something of value to say....am just here for the FP! angry
Repo I really miss your stories o. when are you releasing another one?
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:28am On Aug 11, 2015
PrinceNN:
2019: Alphabet reorganizes into a new company called Skynet

more seriously tho...this would help them set up a different company for each of the google businesses and also to report on the financials independently.
also its not actually rebranding per se. Google is staying the same. They are just turning the current Google into a conglomerate so that their subsidiaries can operate without the "Google" logo if they aren't actually related to Google's technology.

grin grin

2019 Taylor Lautner realises that he's John Connor

Terminator oshi
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by Leadn(m): 9:34am On Aug 11, 2015
They are not changing name per say, just restructuring and putting things in order... Google is now a sub-company of the tech giant.
http://www.flingsmobile.com/g-for-google-alphabet-emerges/
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by repogirl(f): 9:39am On Aug 11, 2015
Rajosh:
Repo I really miss your stories o. when are you releasing another one?
ahh, where have u been? I have an ongoing one I began last year, its going slowly but if you can manage suspense and inconsistent updates then you can read it.

https://www.nairaland.com/1970624/forever-always-story-repogirl
Re: Google Is Now Alphabet: Search Giant Changes Name by tk4rd: 9:45am On Aug 11, 2015
www.alphabet.com IS AN INTERNATIONAL GENERAL MERCHANDISE AND BUSINESS CONSULTANCY FIRM.. SO, WOULD GOOGLE BUY OFF THEIR DOMAIN NAME JUST LIKE THAT.?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facebook Is Trying To Kill Facekobo.com - A Nigerian Website / How Can I View A Website Css Code? [RESOLVED] / How Do I Create A Forum On My Website?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.