Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Censorship: Good or Bad? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Censorship: Good or Bad? (15058 Views)

Do We Have Censorship In Nl Religious Section Now? / The Good Or Bad Things That Happen To You In 2012? / Nairalands Ridiculous Censorship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Censorship: Good or Bad? by salako: 7:00am On Oct 25, 2005
Censorship is the control of speech and other forms of human expression, often in the context of government control. It is most commonly applied to acts which occur in public circumstances, and generally involves a suppression of them by criminalizing their expression. What is censored may range from specific words to entire concepts, and the ostensible motive of censorship is to stabilize (?) or "improve" the society over which the government has control.

Nairaland members, consider your thoughts, ideas, beliefs and values. These things are of priceless intangible value to us because these are the things that define us.
Do you believe it is right for others to censor your or anybodies contribution to society?

Should your voice be silenced for "common stability" or must the "truth" be heard?
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by vexxy(f): 12:38am On Oct 26, 2005
I believe in censorship under certain circumstances. There is a time and a place for everything.

Children watching tv should be protected from viewing acts meant for adults. As long as what one is doing and saying is appropriate for the audience.
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by damygurl(f): 1:25am On Oct 26, 2005
i believe in democracy which allows freedom of speech. censorship to me will be like giving my rights away!! i believe in freedom of expression and i want my voice to be heard not silenced!!!! i wanna make my own mistakes and learn 4rm them. i don wanna be directed on Wat to say, how to act like I'm some kind of puppet.
democracy is government by the people if d voice of d people gotta be heard 4 it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by vexxy(f): 1:48am On Oct 26, 2005
Yes, I agree with you damygurl but if I would not take to kindly someone throwing insults or threats to my children because they have a different belief and they get away with it claiming free speech.

No one is to be silenced but I believe there is a time and place for every thing. It also matters if you want someone to actually listen to what your saying. Have it done in the right atmosphere. cheesy
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by layi(m): 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2005
Freedom of Expression and Censorship. There has to a balance btw the 2. Not everybody is sane...allowing anything could cause chaos. What we do not know is that freedom itself has got rules. If u dont guide freedom...it could kill u.

My take on this:

Censorship should be in HOW i say it not WHAT I say.
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by vexxy(f): 4:39pm On Oct 26, 2005
How I say, not what I say. I like that. You can say it all you like but it may not be aired.

Just like here you're unable to curse on the radio or on public access television. Only on cable is that allowed. You can say it, but it may be bleeped out.
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by Seun(m): 11:33pm On Oct 27, 2005
I think that ultimately, in a democracy, everyone has the right to express his opinions. However, if someone's opinions are expressed in such a way as to constitute a security threat to the country, then the government has to find a legal means of shutting that person up. A government primarily exists for the seucrity of it's people.

However, in a media outlet - newspaper, TV, or an Internet forum like this one, there are private interests at work. If something you've written or said is deemed not to be in the best interest of your favorite newspaper, TV station or Internet community, they have a right not to publish it. Your recourse is such a situation will be to take the fight to your own publication, TV station, blog or website.

Sometimes we have to censor people on this forum, and I don't feel guilty about it at all, because I know that if they wish they can go to www.blogger.com and publish the information on their own weblogs. By the time such a person has been able to develop as much traffic as this forum, he or she will understand why censorship is often necessary!
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by cmh1900: 2:41am On Mar 29, 2008
smiley
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by naglaa: 1:30pm On Jun 19, 2010
Censorship is crazy. Have you considered who gets the say so in what we do and don't view, and how we view it?
The reaction to the object of thought, rather than the object itself are what censorship is based on. This is the case with the naked female within art, it was regulated and contained and transformed into the nude, a controlled contained object, different to the naked sexual 'obscene' woman. Not only does this regulate female sexuality, it also begins the regulation of societies, because the viewers of these two different media cultures are categorized and labeled too. It is through the media where the individual receives definitions of who they are. Through creativity I believe notions that are considered as 'other'- that over step societal margins, can be reintroduced within the mainstream media culture we have grown to use on a daily basis.
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by naglaa: 1:33pm On Jun 19, 2010
How ironic we're talking about censorship and two words that I used to describe the female within and outside of art were turned into 'unclothed.' brilliant.
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by LondonTruman: 5:07pm On Feb 14, 2020
This really is therefore stunning as well as innovative. I simply adore the actual colours as well as whomever will get this within the postal mail is going to be grinning. best CBD oil for anxiety
Re: Censorship: Good or Bad? by nlPoster: 5:26pm On Feb 14, 2020
cmh1900:
smiley

well, the post is from 2005.

(1) (Reply)

One Injured As Explosion Rocks Osun / What Kind Of Dog Can One Use For Home Security? / Ogun Speaker’s Wife Delivers Triplets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.