Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms (1769 Views)

List Of The 23 States In Nigeria That Exceeded Borrowing Limits– FRC / Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms / Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by ANBAKO: 6:58am On Aug 11, 2015
The battle for defence of the Naira value has widened, affecting existing withdrawal limits on Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) and foreign transactions on all existing Naira debit cards (ATM cards).
atm2In the new arrangement, all ATMs that were hitherto enabled for domestic and foreign transactions have been restructured to limit Naira cash withdrawal at ATMs to N60,000 per day while foreign currency is $300 per day. Hitherto, the domestic withdrawal limit was N150,000 per day.
The new arrangement has separated traditional ATM from MasterCard credit card where the former has now been deactivated and can no longer be used for transactions abroad. Hitherto, a single ATM card serves for transactions for both domestic and abroad.
Also, the restructured cards now have spending limits on POS/eCommerce (online shopping) pegged at $300 (about N60,000) per day. Before this, the limit was N2 million per day.
In the new arrangement, a bank customer with multiple debit cards (ATM cards), only the one linked to the primary transactional account will be enabled for use abroad. Hitherto, such customers could transact with any of the cards that is funded.
However, banks are putting in place alternatives in these adjustments to address the concern of customers who are now being directed by their banks to reapply for a new card arrangement to suit their purposes.
For instance, Standard Chartered Bank has asked its customers to request a complementary ATM card for domestic use only so that the original N150,000 daily cash withdrawal limit can be restored and also reactivate POS/online purchase limit of N2 million per day.
The bank also required their customers to apply for a foreign currency denominated ATM linked to domiciliary account which would be enabled with no daily or annual international transaction limits.
Earlier, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc had informed its customers of its decision to reduce the daily international spending limit on their Naira MasterCard to $300 with effect from yesterday.
In a communication to the customers, the bank explained: “In view of the increased difficulty in sourcing foreign currency to settle international transactions on Naira MasterCards, we have reduced the daily international spending limit on your Naira MasterCard to $300.This means that you can only spend up to $300 daily when using your GTBank Naira MasterCard for international payments via POS and online.
“You will, however, continue to have the option of paying for medical bills, school fees, mortgages and credit cards using Form A, as these are eligible transactions for foreign currency. Simply visit any GTBank branch to complete a Form A along with the required documents to make these payments.”
These developments were coming on the heels of Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) statement on Sunday that all legitimate requests for foreign currency for eligible transactions, normally referred to as “invisibles,” such as remittances for school fees, student maintenance allowances, BTA, PTA, medical and other eligible transactions, shall be fully met at the official/interbank exchange rate.
A statement from the CBN added that already all the legitimate demands for such transactions through recognised channels have so far been fully met by CBN.
The statement stated: “The CBN hereby directs all authorised dealers in foreign exchange in Nigeria to henceforth treat as top priority all legitimate demand for foreign exchange for eligible transactions.
“The CBN once again advises individuals that wish to source foreign currency for such eligible transactions to approach their banks with their legitimate demand as the CBN has made adequate provisions of foreign currency for all such legitimate and eligible purposes.
“Furthermore, holders of Naira denominated debit and credit cards shall continue to have access to the use of their cards at ATMs in any part of the world but subject to the annual limit of $50,000. ATM withdraws shall continue to be a maximum of $300 per day.”

Source - vanguardngr.com

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Tos87(m): 6:59am On Aug 11, 2015
ok
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by boboLIL(m): 7:04am On Aug 11, 2015
For their pocket
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by ademega(m): 7:05am On Aug 11, 2015
just as if I dey read Arabic...

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Dioxidane: 7:05am On Aug 11, 2015
Meaning what na

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by powerfulsettingz: 7:07am On Aug 11, 2015
60,000 is too low for us now

2 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by kilokeys(m): 7:10am On Aug 11, 2015
Hope my 268 naira in GTB is safe sha? cry

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by efilefun(m): 7:10am On Aug 11, 2015
Not new, my bank sent me an email about the withdrawal limit since May but i still get above 300usd daily
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 11, 2015
On the good side,these alhajis that will withdraw 150k each from 3 different atm cards will not waste people's time anymore.

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Tintinnoty(m): 7:15am On Aug 11, 2015
how good is this decision

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by fatdon2(m): 7:18am On Aug 11, 2015
The new CBN man is brainless , I
thought we where moving to a
cashless economy. Now people will
prefer to have their money kept in
their homes. Bcus withdrawing above the counter also has its limit and charges are applied. Now ATM has its daily limit. So in other word they reducing the purchasing power of us and hereby allowing us to have our money in our home saves. Bad policies.

3 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by kossyablaze(m): 7:19am On Aug 11, 2015
Nawa o

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Demmocrats(m): 7:23am On Aug 11, 2015
shocked shocked
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Young03(m): 7:26am On Aug 11, 2015
I swear am naive of this
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by ichoku: 7:31am On Aug 11, 2015
Serious
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by rawtouch: 7:31am On Aug 11, 2015
Slowly going back to 1983 be patient country people we will soon get there....

Its all part of remembering the good old days

2 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Omoalhaja7: 7:34am On Aug 11, 2015
Metchewwwwwwwwww
How much even dey ma account b4?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by idgerrard(m): 7:34am On Aug 11, 2015
Aye trouser ooooo
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Obinovictor(m): 7:36am On Aug 11, 2015
Will this help? And what will happen to cashless policy?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by temitemi1(m): 7:37am On Aug 11, 2015
60k undecided
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by oghenetega100(f): 7:40am On Aug 11, 2015
60k is too small ooo shocked
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by abumeinben(m): 7:41am On Aug 11, 2015
Bbanks reducing withdrawal limits (my own money o),

Prices for commodities are on high...

Should we now do away with banks?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by lonelydora: 7:47am On Aug 11, 2015
Make them no try this play with me poop.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by beright: 8:12am On Aug 11, 2015
Trial and error policies from cbn governor. Wish u well it works for u
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Qualer: 9:53am On Aug 11, 2015
abumeinben:
Bbanks reducing withdrawal limits (my own money o),

Prices for commodities are on high...

Should we now do away with banks?

welcome back to 1980 my friend! grin shebi una vote for change, so na change una go dey collect from una bank now... grin
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by abumeinben(m): 12:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
Qualer:

welcome back to 1980 my friend! grin shebi una vote for change, so na change una go dey collect from una bank now... grin

I neither voted change nor transformation angry
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by sinkhole: 1:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
can i still comtinue my aliexpress transactions?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
How does this policy effectively defend the naira? These are mere panic measures that further heat up the system. I'm sorry, this is the worst CBN governor in decades!

60k a day! Are these guys thinking at all?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms by TechRev: 3:14pm On Aug 11, 2015
The zoo is falling!!!!

(1) (Reply)

ICPC To Confiscate $700million Stolen By Momoh, Former PPMC Boss / Aba : See What Police Discovered In The Home Of 2 Yoruba Men; 2 Others On Run / How Lamido Sanusi, Senator Saraki Fraudulently Acquired Intercontinent Bank Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.