Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,987 members, 7,821,436 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? (3048 Views)

30-Year-Old Man Who Raped 10-Year-Old Girl In Benin, Granted Bail. Photos / Maryam Sanda Granted Bail / Ese: Yunusa Dahiru Granted Bail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by deathwing(m): 8:57am On Aug 12, 2015
I have always wanted to know if Bail money is actually given to the federal government as one of her dues.

I have always heard that Bail is free...but is it really? Is the money given to the police ever returned if a certain condition is fulfilled?

Basically, I want to be educated on this whole Bail issue as it concerns the Nigerian justice system. Anyone?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by urchbarbie(f): 9:26am On Aug 12, 2015
deathwing:
I have always wanted to know if Bail money is actually given to the federal government as one of her dues.

I have always heard that Bail is free...but is it really? Is the money given to the police ever returned if a certain condition is fulfilled?

Basically, I want to be educated on this whole Bail issue as it concerns the Nigerian justice system. Anyone?
how much wld u pay if I educate u on it?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 12, 2015
Bail
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 12, 2015
urchbarbie:
......... In other words, he should bail himself out, right?!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by urchbarbie(f): 9:39am On Aug 12, 2015
modelmike7:
......... In other words, he should bail himself out, right?!
lolx.........u gorrit wink

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by deathwing(m): 9:45am On Aug 12, 2015
urchbarbie:

A movie date should suffice, no?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by urchbarbie(f): 10:59am On Aug 12, 2015
deathwing:

A movie date should suffice, no?
get d tickets and send mine before i do my bits
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by alexlee50: 11:36am On Aug 12, 2015
Bail is a conditional release given either by the court(court bail) or law enforcement agency(administrative bail)pending when a suspect trial commences in a case he is being charged with.Administrative bail is granted by the law enforcement agency pending when they are ready to charge the suspect to court.It is not supposed to be paid for.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by deathwing(m): 2:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
urchbarbie:
get d tickets and send mine before i do my bits

Why so cautious? Learn to trust.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by deathwing(m): 2:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
alexlee50:
Bail is a conditional release given either by the court(court bail) or law enforcement agency(administrative bail)pending when a suspect trial commences in a case he is being charged with.Administrative bail is granted by the law enforcement agency pending when they are ready to charge the suspect to court.It is not supposed to be paid for.

So what of the ridiculous amounts being paid by people as noted in newspaper reports whenever they are 'granted bail'?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by alexlee50: 2:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
deathwing:

So what of the ridiculous amounts being paid by people as noted in newspaper reports whenever they are 'granted bail'?
Wherever that is done,the people collecting this money are doing in on their own.It is not an official thing.There are just using that as a means of extorting money from people.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by deathwing(m): 2:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
alexlee50:
Wherever that is done,the people collecting this money are doing in on their own.It is not an official thing.There are just using that as a means of extorting money from people.

So when a judge tells a politician to post bail of 10million, the Judge is committing a crime?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by alexlee50: 4:53pm On Aug 12, 2015
deathwing:

So when a judge tells a politician to post bail of 10million, the Judge is committing a crime?
The person is talking money collected as bail in police stations.check the initial post
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by hablaespanola: 11:01am On Jul 06, 2016
People are held in jail prior to a trial for two reasons: 1. To protect society, and 2. to guarantee they will appear in court. If it is determined they are not a danger to society, they are offered bail by Bail Bondman.Almost every crime has a bail. A bail is a guarantee you will appear in court. If you pay the bail, you are released.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by Dahunsipaul(m): 11:29pm On Jul 23, 2021
hablaespanola:
People are held in jail prior to a trial for two reasons: 1. To protect society, and 2. to guarantee they will appear in court. If it is determined they are not a danger to society, they are offered bail by Bail Bondman.Almost every crime has a bail. A bail is a guarantee you will appear in court. If you pay the bail, you are released.

So
In essence bail isn’t free?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by Munamu: 3:18am On Jul 24, 2021
Dahunsipaul:

So
In essence bail isn’t free?
As said ,bail is of two types administrative(police) and court bail. Court bail is further divided into bail pending trial and bail pending appeal. Administrative bail is granted after recognisanze has been entered with or without surety. Normally an accused is to be taken to court within 24 hours after been detained for trial. This bail is free. Offences are categorised into simple, misdemeanor and felony. All simple and misdemeanor offences are bailable.
In order not violate section 35(1) of 1999 constitution, a bail is granted an accused with conditions to make him available for future trial. Such conditions may include payment of sum certain in money, which may or may not be refundable.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Granted 'bail'? by BarrSly: 11:51am On Jul 24, 2021
Bail is free and the ridiculous amount you hear of on tv is kept as a form of security with the court should the bailed individual fail to show up in court to continue with his/her trial.... if the person shows up and bail is revoked, the surety gets back the money if the person no show up your money don go be that.

deathwing:

(1) (Reply)

See Why This Nigerian Woman Was Stripped Naked And Beaten-bloody In India / Man Spotted Selling Shit (faeces) In The Market / Are The Young Ones Really Going In The Right Direction (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.