Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,455 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent (4582 Views)

What A Lady Did After A Man Tried Giving Her A Lift While It Was Raining / How To Identify A Fraudulent Online Store / The Representation Of Justice As A Female Goddess Carrying Balanced Scales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3r5xPLfbmY

Please oblige me yall. Bear in mind, Edwina Currie is a former British MP.

CC:
MrsChima
LordReed
Pickabeau1
Snakebeat
5MInsMadness
Doe1994

Freecocoa

The general public is, of course, invited to weigh in on the matter.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Paschal001: 11:15am On Aug 12, 2015
Ok
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 11:31am On Aug 12, 2015
Generally quotas are useful and help increase participation

However they become an end in itself over time and encourage mediocrity over time

I will view the vid later
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 12, 2015
pickabeau1:

However they become an end in itself over time and encourage mediocrity over time

What is the point of an artificial increase in participation really?

Which is why they should be shelved entirely in the discourse for gender equality

I'm eager to hear your views after watching.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
Timbuktou:

What is the point of an artificial increase in participation really?

Which is why they should be shelved entirely in the discourse for gender equality

I'm eager to hear your views after watching.

Ok no problem
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by snakebeat: 2:23pm On Aug 12, 2015
Quotas will always produce mediocrity. Merit & capability should be the benchmark, not gender. Meritocracy brings about meritorious development. Allowing incompetent & unqualified hands to execute & hold certain positions of which they obviously lack the required expertise, will & strength, all in a bid to appease some misplaced sentiments isn't emanpacition, but an unwarranted risk embedded in a looming thalidomide.

There is nothing discriminating about hiring & accepting only qualified hands.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 7:20pm On Aug 12, 2015
OK.. I watched.. facts stated in the clip

13.2 percent in judiciary, 15.6 in directorships, 21.7 in cabinet positions

Overall 32 percent representation (1 in 3)...

Well there are questions to be asked also

How many women are in these fields in the first place
How many women are in these fields but being denied advancement opportunities compared to their male counterparts

Edwina Currie made some good points and said women who came in via special arrangements were useless in parliaments

Hence quotas defeat themselves in the end

The other lady did not make any points especially with relation to pregnancies in women

LOL... theres one angry guy in the background
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 12, 2015
pickabeau1:
OK.. I watched.. facts stated in the clip

13.2 percent in judiciary, 15.6 in directorships, 21.7 in cabinet positions

Overall 32 percent representation (1 in 3)...

Well there are questions to be asked also

How many women are in these fields in the first place
How many women are in these fields but being denied advancement opportunities compared to their male counterparts

Edwina Currie made some good points and said women who came in via special arrangements were useless in parliaments

Hence quotas defeat themselves in the end

The other lady did not make any points especially with relation to pregnancies in women

LOL... theres one angry guy in the background

I'd already had this opinion on quotas before seeing this clip, but since our people want to copy them, I just thought we should how well their experiments worked out for them. We should not do what the west says and does without thinking about it.

To the issue you raised, I'm very sceptical about claims saying women are denied opportunities just based on their gender. I say this from a place of experience in the Nigerian labour market, but it seems many females want to conform reality to their rhetoric rather than the other way around.

Also, and most importantly, the application of quota systems is discriminatory in and of itself. Men, and to a lesser extent, are cheated out of their legitimate rights and opportunities when someone is put where they don't belong just to achieve "representation".

Lastly, the narrator is a clown grin. I love listening to his sarcastic commentary.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 6:49am On Aug 13, 2015
pickabeau1:

My thoughts as well.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 6:50am On Aug 13, 2015
Timbuktou:

I'd already had this opinion on quotas before seeing this clip, but since our people want to copy them, I just thought we should how well their experiments worked out for them. We should not do what the west says and does without thinking about it.

To the issue you raised, I'm very sceptical about claims saying women are denied opportunities just based on their gender. I say this from a place of experience in the Nigerian labour market, but it seems many females want to conform reality to their rhetoric rather than the other way around.

Also, and most importantly, the application of quota systems is discriminatory in and of itself. Men, and to a lesser extent, are cheated out of their legitimate rights and opportunities when someone is put where they don't belong just to achieve "representation".

Lastly, the narrator is a clown grin. I love listening to his sarcastic commentary.

Question: do you think the local content bill is discriminatory?
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 7:26am On Aug 13, 2015
LordReed:

My thoughts as well.

Interesting...

But don't quotas help ensure equality at all costs?
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 13, 2015
LordReed:

Question: do you think the local content bill is discriminatory?

It's not. The bill is to help Nigerians in Nigeria. Would you say issuing visas is discriminatory?
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 9:22am On Aug 13, 2015
Timbuktou:

It's not. The bill is to help Nigerians in Nigeria. Would you say issuing visas is discriminatory?

No so why do you write like all forms of quotas are discriminatory? Do the foreigners who would otherwise be debarred not worth it on a merit based scale?
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 9:29am On Aug 13, 2015
pickabeau1:

Interesting...

But don't quotas help ensure equality at all costs?

They help to include those who would otherwise loose out but like you rightly pointed out if mis-managed it will breed mediocrity. I think they should be transient not an established or entrenched method.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 10:45am On Aug 13, 2015
LordReed:

They help to include those who would otherwise loose out but like you rightly pointed out if mis-managed it will breed mediocrity. I think they should be transient not an established or entrenched method.

ok
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 13, 2015
LordReed:

No so why do you write like all forms of quotas are discriminatory?

Do the foreigners who would otherwise be debarred not worth it on a merit based scale?

The priority of the Nigerian government and general policy-machinery is to further the interest of the Nigerian people. Would you allow your neighbour's teenage children eat up all the food in your house to the detriment of your toddlers because you want to give them all they deserve to eat? If you keep food for your children and not give the neighbours enough to feed them would that be discriminatory?

They can stay in their country and trade. Not all Nigerians are welcome to do business in foreign countries.

The topic clearly states quotas in the context of the push for fairness in the struggle for gender equality. However, I'm more than happy to answer your off-topic questions.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 13, 2015
LordReed:

They help to include those who would otherwise loose out

but like you rightly pointed out if mis-managed it will breed mediocrity. I think they should be transient not an established or entrenched method.

Those who lose out were never deserving of the spot in the first place. Why do tests and get qualification at all when you can just quota the whole thing away!

The implementation of quotas is the beginning of mismanagement, everything that happens afterwards is academic.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 1:28pm On Aug 13, 2015
Timbuktou:

The priority of the Nigerian government and general policy-machinery is to further the interest of the Nigerian people. Would you allow your neighbour's teenage children eat up all the food in your house to the detriment of your toddlers because you want to give them all they deserve to eat? If you keep food for your children and not give the neighbours enough to feed them would that be discriminatory?

They can stay in their country and trade. Not all Nigerians are welcome to do business in foreign countries.

The topic clearly states quotas in the context of the push for fairness in the struggle for gender equality. However, I'm more than happy to answer your off-topic questions.

It is relevant because one of your arguments is that quotas ignore merit. Here we have you vigorously defending quota because according to you it so as not to take the food out our children's mouths and you even say it is not discriminatory. How can I not believe you have double standards?

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 1:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
Timbuktou:

Those who lose out were never deserving of the spot in the first place. Why do tests and get qualification at all when you can just quota the whole thing away!

The implementation of quotas is the beginning of mismanagement, everything that happens afterwards is academic.

But you don't have this same attitude to the local content bill. Double standard or what?
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
LordReed:

It is relevant because one of your arguments is that quotas ignore merit. Here we have you vigorously defending quota because according to you it so as not to take the food out our children's mouths and you even say it is not discriminatory. How can I not believe you have double standards?

You have not answered my question. Would you feed outsiders at the expense of your children. Yes or no. And is that discriminatory or not?
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 4:39pm On Aug 13, 2015
Timbuktou:

You have not answered my question. Would you feed outsiders at the expense of your children. Yes or no. And is that discriminatory or not?

No I would not. That second question should be for you, I have already expressed that quotas need not be discriminatory. Also you need to answer how your attitude is not double standard.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
LordReed:

No I would not. That second question should be for you, I have already expressed that quotas need not be discriminatory. Also you need to answer how your attitude is not double standard.

Is prioritizing the welfare of your household over outsiders' quota? grin. If you think it is then there is a problem with how we both view the meaning of the word quota.
Please explain the quota in feeding your children over outsiders.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 6:21am On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Is prioritizing the welfare of your household over outsiders' quota? grin. If you think it is then there is a problem with how we both view the meaning of the word quota.

A very pathetic and disingenuous attempt to obfuscate. Your sudden failure to see the local content bill as a quota system is an obvious sign that you carry a double standard as regards quota and a proof that your views on this topic are thoroughly jaundiced.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

A very pathetic and disingenuous attempt to obfuscate. Your sudden failure to see the local content bill as a quota system is an obvious sign that you carry a double standard as regards quota and a proof that your views on this topic are thoroughly jaundiced.

Your disingenuity is irritating. I've asked you questions you refuse to answer and you dare accuse me of obfuscation. Even if I agreed the LC bill is a quota system, how does that answer the question I asked you in the OP? Is the OP about local content? Again, I ask you, is deciding to feed your children a quota system? Answer and stop jumping about like spiderman.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Maybe you didn't see this question, I'm asking you to answer this.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 12:19pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Your disingenuity is irritating. I've asked you questions you refuse to answer and you dare accuse me of obfuscation. Even if I agreed the LC bill is a quota system, how does that answer the question I asked you in the OP? Is the OP about local content? Again, I ask you, is deciding to feed your children a quota system? Answer and stop jumping about like spiderman.

Say that you do not know how to read again. Here was my response to your question:

LordReed:

How many times do I have to answer the same question but to answer mine you start dancing around like atilogun dancer.

I have already said why I brought up local content. If local content is good how is quota for women then bad? You have no response to this because your bloody hypocrisy has been exposed for the world to see.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

I have already said why I brought up local content. If local content is good how is quota for women then bad? You have no response to this because your bloody hypocrisy has been exposed for the world to see.

Local content is good because it gives the rightful owners the opportunity to own and control their wealth. I know comprehension and critical thinking is difficult for you, but the Nigerian government exists to further the interest of the Nigerian people. Nigeria is not a free for all. Just as it would be unwise for you to allow outsiders guzzle up your resources at the expense of your family, it would be the height of foolishness to not have something like a local content bill.

Giving women quota in the workplace or anywhere else that requires merit for entry or advancement is unfair to those who have earned their entry and elevation through merit. The entry and advancement requirements may as well be done away with and all entry and advancement should be based on an arbitrary quota assignment. *smh*

Apples and oranges may both be fruits but they are not they same kind of fruit, sir.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 12:41pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed

Do you think foreigners should get jobs and contracts that Nigerians can do In Nigeria?
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2015
pickabeau1:
LordReed

Do you think foreigners should get jobs and contracts that Nigerians can do In Nigeria?

I think who (in terms of race or nationality) gets the job is irrelevant however I think it wise to protect indigenous companies and workforce.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 1:02pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Local content is good because it gives the rightful owners the opportunity to own and control their wealth. I know comprehension and critical thinking is difficult for you, but the Nigerian government exists to further the interest of the Nigerian people. Nigeria is not a free for all. Just as it would be unwise for you to allow outsiders guzzle up your resources at the expense of your family, it would be the height of foolishness to not have something like a local content bill.

Giving women quota in the workplace or anywhere else that requires merit for entry or advancement is unfair to those who have earned their entry and elevation through merit. The entry and advancement requirements may as well be done away with and all entry and advancement should be based on an arbitrary quota assignment. *smh*

Apples and oranges may both be fruits but they are not they same kind of fruit, sir.

Does local content ignore "merit"? Does it say just any Nigerian company can come and bid for a contract? Does it not specify that competence is required? All these and more can be applied to a quota for women in industries where they are underrepresented. It is you who needs help for comprehension and critical thinking because this simple point continues to elude you.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 1:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

I think who (in terms of race or nationality) gets the job is irrelevant
however I think it wise to protect indigenous companies and workforce.

It is not irrelevant

The local content bill was made to address a wrong situation where indigenes (both male and female) were deprived in their own country to the benefit of foreigners.. from another country

why expose your own citizens to unemployment because u want to please foriegners
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

Does local content ignore "merit"? Does it say just any Nigerian company can come and bid for a contract? Does it not specify that competence is required? All these and more can be applied to a quota for women in industries where they are underrepresented. It is you who needs help for comprehension and critical thinking because this simple point continues to elude you.

Your spiderman skills are enviable. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

What is under-representation? Who sets the benchmark for under-representation? Is it supposed to be a 50-50 thing, or could it be 60-40? I'm truly confused here. Where's the quota in this whole world for men who are "under-represented" in professions like say Nursing?

If you do not understand that Local Content bill is supposed to secure what rightly belongs to Nigerians to its rightful owners, then I'm afraid we're at an impasse. If you don't understand the analogy of LCB to a household, then I've been wasting my time.

Your inability to think is frightening.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet The Latest Couple In Town With Their Trendy Photos / Production Of Decorative Ceiling/asbestos - A Step By Step Guide / Where Is Nigeria Going Too: The Sausage Roll(gala) I Bought Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.